Katniss Everdeen Mocking Jay Costume

TeresaMRoberts

So I usually do frilly, girly, elaborate, hand sewn costumes and pageant dresses for my daughter (and costumes for my son). My daughter wanted something not so "Disney" lol she wanted a change. She wants to be Katniss this year for Halloween. I'm excited cause it's different for me too! I might ask for recommended fabrics or techniques on some of the Body Armor. It's for a 9 year old so it doesn't have to be heavy duty or last forever but I have my costuming reputation to uphold and I won't be happy if it looks like crap or like it could have been bought from Halloween store. I've never really done any kind of "build" I'm mainly a seamstress. So not sure really where to start for the armor. So if anyone has suggestions or YouTube videos that might help me out I would love you!!

So here's what we're going for!!

bb965de903b5fa8634b9043d9a7ef26a.jpg
23fdbbc2ae9f197e87d1792ae1ac4f0c.jpg
a0572a98e740b8d8fc7250bcc6aadc98.jpg

I just ordered these boots from eBay for her.
a59b9c982d065541300e861063120a5e.jpg

And I found black BDU kids pants online as well. Just need to measure her so I get the right size.

I'm having trouble getting good images of the shirt because I'm pretty sur I need to sew that part so if anyone finds some let me know!!

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give and I'll be posting updates so stay tuned!! Wanna putting this entry in for the RPF costume contest!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so something cool that I learned from the video was the quiver had no strap hooked to the back of the body armor. Anyone got any idea what this hardware might be called. You can see it in last pic I posted. Or a price of hardware that might work?

Alright! I ordered Black BDU kids pants yesterday. I went to fabric store and tried to find the closest to BDU fabric that I could. Joanns only carries Nylon rip stop not cotton or cotton poly rip stop fabric :( and I'm to impatient not to get stared! I found a Poly Cotton Blend that was nice crispy and thick ( not see through like 100 cotton is usually). I've never been in the military but I use to work at a jail for a few years so I'm familiar with the fabric. The smallest belt webbing I could find is about an 1" which is what hers looks like but since mine is a smaller version the proportions were off. So I used a heated fabric cutter that I have and cut the webbing in half width wise. Not this will only work on Nylon webbing melting the edges and preventing fraying as you go. Do not try that with cotton webbing!

Katniss BDU shirt/jacket is a little more form fitting (and the weird strap things) so I'm making it from scratch. I have a jacket pattern already that I've used for years. Come with like 22 sizes when you buy it. By Jalie pattern 2456 ice skating jacket. Since the pattern was designed for spandex and I wasn't using stretchy fabrics I just cut it in bigger size. I've pinned the straps in place.
6764a835c82c478f3f389763138f7baa.jpg

Hope to get the rest of this top together tomorrow. Calling it a night!!

Oh also forgot to tell y'all my son (10) has decided to go as Gale! Lol too cute!! I love when the do matching costumes! His will be a litte more simpler but I think people will get who he is if he is walking around with Katniss.

a323c475bdf5ffdd3cc8f9778189afd4.jpg

I took to strips of leather looking spandex I had left over from some cheer sports bras I made for my daughter, and put on the sides of the jacket before sewing the zipper in, think it turned out pretty nice :) looking like Katniss to me!! Just need to add the collar and hem the sleeves.

So this is my first time ever making armor and working with craft foam. I chose not to go with the thicker EVA foam since it is for a child. Hobby lobby carries craft foam in 3 thick. 2mm, 3mm and .2" I used .2 inches for the breast plate/armor/Kevlar.
09988f3e2073c4004629706c6204cd46.jpg

I took one of my daughters bras and put juggling balls in them on the mannequin. ( they did circus camp this summer) the. Heated the foam with heat gun and pressed it on the mannequin. The plan is to cover this part I'm matching fabric that the shoulder armor will be made of.

e118944d65c6250379e326df1d1e8602.jpg

Then took 2mm foam and made a frame around it. The plan is to cover this piece with black plasti dip and acrylic. Going to use elastic straps like suspender black elastic. I'm hoping that to won't be too hard to cover the white chest plate with fabric... [emoji53] a little worried about that! Plan on doing the same thing for the back piece.

Ok so something cool that I learned from the video was the quiver had no strap hooked to the back of the body armor. Anyone got any idea what this hardware might be called. You can see it in last pic I posted. Or a price of hardware that might work?

That's a quiver mounting bracket, they basically work on the same principal as a camera tripod mount.

So I really should have thought ahead of time... But o-well what's a little more work. I had to take the sleeve back apart but I added the built in Armgard into the jacket. :) I wanted to use the leather spandex over the craft foam but I just couldn't get it to work. So I used just regular black spandex. I like the way it turned out :)
7c0fb6139c8492e337afb3e74b2673b2.jpg
3a09a9f4f025e88eb680cdb26f98c5ed.jpg

I took left over black fabric from the jacket put fusible interfacing ( to keep it from fraying) then traced the craft foam design and cut it out. After covering the foam with black spandex I sewed it in place around the craft foam the folded and ironed the edges under and made like a patch for the sleeve. Had my daughter put the jacket on and pretend she was shooting an arrow so I could pin it in the right place.
665ee08bf16d9eadebc5cd1b4cea84ae.jpg

2bb9029fddf6e2b3018a2e1970a792a3.jpg

5d1f6cbf52c8bf24947b3a48ea24b7ab.jpg

As someone on here suggested for the wings my plan is to cut the feathers out of 2mm craft foam, then heat gun and mold. Then individually plasti dip them. Then assemble them on a base. Couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. Any one have any suggestions how to keep the feathers organized and in the right order for assembly at the end? Also they had mentioned to used a brush and not spray the plasti dip... why? Like I've said this is all new terrain for me so all advice and tips are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm a busy beaver!! So I got these tags woven up from China a few weeks ago to put on my projects to make them more professional looking. I'm constantly making stuff for my kids and I tend to resell after they have out grown it. So I'm excited because I had them done in white and black and I sewed white one in the pageant dress I made her last month and this is my first black one that I've seen into the Mockingjay Jacket!!!
d466c6a14a7896afea6d56c72eb5611a.jpg

Like I said the fabric came in for the neck part of the shoulder armor. So I got that together. When the other armor fabric gets here (scheduled delivery is Friday) I'll just need to add the shoulder shields. I should have made the collar latch more on the side but to be honest I didn't feel like drafting another pattern lol. This fabric is not the easiest to deal with and maneuver. It's pretty stiff and has a water proof backing. But I'm still pretty stoked the way it turned out :)
0cc511f1372ecc9035f5eff5c349e094.jpg

5f3700d70f5e27c1b4ad09b43cc79c91.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of fabric is the neck piece made off?

1680D nylon Cordura. And for the lining I just used left over fabric from the jacket. I keep thinking about it before I fell asleep last night... I'm going to re do it. I have enough fabric and I want to try one more time to try get it a little more like hers lol.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back