New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

You're all spot on for various reasons. Dr McCoy, I second your comment. Personally I would hate a real crappy looking prop, other than for the bragging rights. I prefer having a remote control - ya right! (prop) that looks like it came right out of the plant. As far as accuracy is concerned? What accuracy? Specific models of actual firearms vary greatly depending on who manufactured them. Let's face it, this is an each to his own fun hobby. Just look at the asymmetry of the original Darth Vader mask. Until the original was laser scanned for the newer movies the degree of asymmetry wasn't obvious. Then they tried to mirror halves of the mask to fabricate a new one and it looked terrible. The newer mask is symmetrical but it didn't get there without a lot of work.

I just believe than none of us will be happy until we all have real working phasers. There are lots of people I would love to stun. I would also like to disrupt an inanimate object for real and wet my pants.

Greg

What phaser was shown at the traveling Smithsonian exhibit several years ago? I remember going to it here in Kansas City, MO, excited that an actual Star Trek Series prop from the set would be there, and being disappointed by how rough looking it was.

edited to add: Never mind, I found on Racprops site that it was actually a replica.

Last edited:
I just believe than none of us will be happy until we all have real working phasers. There are lots of people I would love to stun. I would also like to disrupt an inanimate object for real and wet my pants.

Greg[/QUOTE]

..?well for now you can live half your dream and just wet your pants...
or wet someone else's pants and get stunned.

Why are you guys putting so much effort into giving this phaser screen accurate colors when the entire phaser is made from ABS plastic and is not even made from fiberglass like the real thing???

Why are you guys putting so much effort into giving this phaser screen accurate colors when the entire phaser is made from ABS plastic and is not even made from fiberglass like the real thing???

I thought the real thing had a casing made from a duranium alloy composite with a LiCu 521 discharge crystal which was doped with arsenic atoms and trisilinate molecules in order to restrict the phaser energy discharge while the doping materials diverted a small part of the discharging energy to re-establish the charge barrier between the discharge crystal and the Sarium kelleride power crystal, limiting or compressing the beam to a maximum of 200 picoseconds of firing?

So are you actually implying that unless the replica is made of the exact same materials as the original prop it makes no sense to try and match the look of the original by painting, upgrading parts, etc?

Precisely

To you, but not to everyone. In fact, probably not to most people who collect/build replicas. See post 1018 for Dr. McCoy's excellent explanation of this concept.

More food for thought on this subject: From the point of view of a movie-industry prop maker, matching/replicating and existing prop has everything to do with finish and appearance, and nothing to do with matching materials (unless it happens to be the most efficient and practical thing to use the original materials). I can tell you this from first hand experience.

...I think if better materials and more money was available for production the props would not be made of fiberglass, cardboard, spit, glue, jelly beans etc...; )

as always, to each their own. There is a place for duplicating props in look, function and materials. And a place for prop replicas that are idealized.... That place is up on my mantle. : )

yeah, my post 1018 sums up my take on all this.

for what it is worth, ever since I saw the show when I was about 10 or 11, I wanted a phaser and communicator in the worst way. What I wanted was something that looked exactly like what Kirk and Spock had in hand. I suffered through REMCO, AMT and my own creations made out of cardboard. If the Diamond/Art Asylum phaser had been out back then, I would have been in heaven. Had the WAND phaser been out then, I would have been in 7th heaven.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy all the juicy details of all the nuts and bolts that went into creating the original props, and heck, I would love to own one that looks exactly like Greg Jeins -- or better, what it looked like the day they brought it to the set for the first time before it got all beat up.

And while I get a huge kick out of having these replicas now, I wish there was some way I could give them to my 11 year old self because damn, they would have seen a LOT of action on all those pretend away missions my childhood mind used to go on in our back yard.

Last edited:
Why repaint it? The colors look screen accurate.

The Jein P1 is a darker, almost a black gray, likely so that the velcro on the P1 wouldn't stand out. The Wand is made to match the darker Jein phaser, so yes it's pretty accurate already. The other hero phasers have a P1 that looks like a medium gray (but darker than the P2 body) and not quite as dark as the Jein. So, the target for some of us is to match the other heroes.

Because the Wand phaser is awesome, and these mods make it awesomer!

It's what RPF is really all about.

Last edited:
yeah, my post 1018 sums up my take on all this.

for what it is worth, every since I saw the show when I was about 10 or 11, I wanted a phaser and communicator in the worst way. What I wanted was something that looked exactly like what Kirk and Spock had in hand. I suffered through REMCO, AMT and my own creations made out of cardboard. If the Diamond/Art Asylum phaser had been out back then, I would have been in heaven. Had the WAND phaser been out then, I would have been in 7th heaven.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy all the juicy details of all the nuts and bolts that went into creating the original props, and heck, I would love to own one that looks exactly like Greg Jeins -- or better, what it looked like the day they brought it to the set for the first time before it got all beat up.

And while I get a huge kick out of having these replicas now, I wish there was some way I could give them to my 11 year old self because damn, they would have seen a LOT of action on all those pretend away missions my childhood mind used to go on in our back yard.
Word.

When buying, upon their release, my first AA/DST phaser, my exact comment to the cashier was "I would have killed for one of these 30 years ago".

I get trying to replicate the prop as it was on the set, but as others have said, that would eliminate fx like sound and strobing lights, and add globs of glue and paint. Would love to have a B&W version like this as my "museum" piece, but I also spent a lot of time as a kid squinting at the control of a heating pad, torn off its cable and painted black (damn did I catch hell for that) and imagining it a P1, and an idealized "pew pew" phaser is what gets my motor running.

il_fullxfull.142875566.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back