New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

Wow, great work on your Phaser Lost ! Question, what is the crispy. Not up to date on my Phaser jargon.

I got my Phaser from TG today, no issues with it. Brand new and not someones return. Powering it up now and will play with it tonight. :D

Also, i've been wanting to upgrade my AA/DST Phaser with metal parts. There is a web site selling metal parts, I wont post the url but if you google phaser metal parts it should be in the listing. Would you recommend or stay away from this site ?

EDIT: Well it's all powered up but the effects don't seem to be working right. I only get one sound off it. I'm at work right now so when I get home i'll have more time to figure it out but I think something is definitely wrong with it. :(

If it's the "Federation Phaser" thing online, I've heard good things, but I've never bought from him myself.

"Crispy" is jargon for the diamond-embosed aluminum sheet on the P1. It refers to the fact that a lot of the reproduction stuff has soft edges and creases instead of crisply detailed ones. I've never liked it myself, but then again I say crapazoid and butt-plug, so who am I to judge? :p

I think the Tech Manual calls it out as an "aspirator plate," but really it's just embossed aluminum with a 60º diamond pattern, very thin shim stock, probably at least 0.005" or even thinner. Finding it is always a pain, at a good price is even harder, and scouring the earth for those old Walgreens makeup kits isn't really worth the time, at least for me.

When I get around to it (please no PMs, this really is a long way off, and I'll post it when it's ready), I will eventually create dies in 3D and open-source them on Thingiverse or someplace like that, so anyone with a bench vise and access to a 3D printer (or Shapeways) can roll his own.

Thanks asalaw, that was the one but I found another one call "scifiprops" which has the exactly the same products as Federation Phaser, even the photos are the same.
All the parts seem like they could fit the wand like the number dial on the P2 which I would like to replace.

Thanks asalaw, that was the one but I found another one call "scifiprops" which has the exactly the same products as Federation Phaser, even the photos are the same.
All the parts seem like they could fit the wand like the number dial on the P2 which I would like to replace.
Yeah, that's who I meant. I thought they were the same guy. Aren't they?

Phaser looks great.

Did you have to cut off the ten turn knob? And where did get a replacement ten turn and the jewel with crown?

To remove the existing ten turn cut under the black cap. Once removed you can lift the ten turn dial off.

I purchased the replacement ten turn and the watch crown on the Trek Prop Zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that looks gorgeous! The P1 dial looks a hair larger, so that's not the Wand Scale readout? You've really captured the look there, that's really amazing. :)

You are correct. I went with a larger meter dome. To my eye the Wand dome looked a little small.

BTW, I'm happy to say all electronics still work :) .

OK, just a tiny bit disappointed. Everything seems to work OK, but I can't get it to act as a remote control! No problem entering programming mode. When programming I hold my current remotes near the IR beam and get the "OK" message (after appropriate gesture). When done programming (only programmed 2 devices -TV and cable box turning on - phaser up/down) I can't get it to work! My standard remotes work fine, but the phaser won't control them! A little disappointing since it is being sold as a remote! I don't think I'll send it back since everything else seems fine, and I bought it more for a prop replica anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this issue or if I am doing something wrong!

My Phaser work just fine. Not sure why it didn't work earlier. So happy with it but I will shine up the metal parts and change the number dial on the p2, maybe the handle too but that's not to important to me.

The AA/DST Phaser and Wand Co. Phaser are different in enough respects that the parts listed on his website won't simply fit into the Wand Phaser.

All the metal upgrade parts he makes are designed specifically to replace the plastic parts on the stock AA/DST Phaser. It actually looks like his are metal (brass or aluminum) castings of the stock AA/DST parts. There would need to be significant alterations made to the parts to get them to fit.

The only thing he offers right now as an upgrade for the Wand Phaser is a replacement handle, available either as a DIY kit or as a finished piece in white or bronze, depending on which version you're planning on doing.

Yeah, that's who I meant. I thought they were the same guy. Aren't they?

Yes, they are one and the same. The fellow's front page is "Federation Phaser" (http://www.federationphaser.tk/), while his eCRATER "Sci Fi Props" page (linked to at the bottom of his "Federation Phaser" page) is where all of his Phaser upgrade parts are actually available for sale.

You have to contact him through his eCRATER regarding his items for sale. I've known folks who have ordered various parts from him, and have heard nothing but good things about the quality of his work. It's well worth the price, imho.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I was fortunate enough to get one of these as a X-mas gift from a friend. And man, it is awesome! It looks great, no flaws or anything, and everything works as it should. I know the handle's a little narrow, but overall it's great right out of the box. Plan on saving up my pennies to get at least a couple more so I can do up an accurized version plus a B&W.

Last edited:
I painted the P1 Rustoleum dark gray primer. For those in the know, what do I use to buff it? Also ,should I seal it with a coat of gloss , semi gloss etc?

I painted the P1 Rustoleum dark gray primer. For those in the know, what do I use to buff it? Also ,should I seal it with a coat of gloss , semi gloss etc?

I would definitely suggest giving it a protective clear coat, but not gloss or semi-gloss.

After all, you want the finish of the P1 to match the P2 body, which has a matte finish.

Those who have a gap issue on their handle..... It is in backwards. The handle will still go in that way but creates the gap, and a slight backwards wobble in the hand when adjusting setting dial. So turn it around and it should fix. I had this happen to me yesterday when setting up my phaser.

On a personal note, the Wand phaser having an actual perforated grill adds to the real world feel of the device. But I am an odd bird.

Honestly, the aspirator grill (crispy) holes cannot be seen from most angles anyway the way they smartly designed it. It lets the sound out so that it's loud. And if you like it quieter, you can dial the sound down in the settings or just put sticky backed aluminum foil over it.

I too prefer the Wand version of the crispy. Like plasma vents in case of an overload.

Those who have a gap issue on their handle..... It is in backwards. The handle will still go in that way but creates the gap, and a slight backwards wobble in the hand when adjusting setting dial. So turn it around and it should fix. I had this happen to me yesterday when setting up my phaser.

The reason for that is the two prongs are differently sized, one wider for the front slot and one thinner for the back slot.

I noticed that one day when I was playing around with dismantling (guess you could say "field-stripping") it, lol.

To remove the existing ten turn cut under the black cap. Once removed you can lift the ten turn dial off.

I purchased the replacement ten turn and the watch crown on the Trek Prop Zone.

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct. I went with a larger meter dome. To my eye the Wand dome looked a little small.

BTW, I'm happy to say all electronics still work :) .

Hi Lost in Trek :)

How much will it cost for you to do the same upgrades to my Wand Phaser?

Thanks,

Jerry

One million dollar's:lol.
dr-evil.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back