The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

If your into photography your aware of the golden rule when to follow and when to avoid but I never thought of applying it to any machine , brilliant
now I think I know why I love A10 warthog so much

What an awesome discovery! I didn´t know of the golden ratio´s existence until some weeks ago, but it would have never occured to me that it can be found all over the Y-Wing. Those ILM guys definately had a sense for good proportions... But then it would not surprise me if Ralph McQuarrie knew of the golden ratio and designed his ships this way intentionally.
It would be interesting if other SW ships show the golden ratio as well, like the ISD´s length compared to its superstructure´s length, ratios between the various sections of the B-Wing or the AT-AT´s height broken down into its body´s and legs´ heights.
Somebody should tell the current ILM employees about this ratio, then maybe the new films´ ships wouldn´t be so ugly...

Well, not all are used on the Y-Wing, so that's probably it. Bottom left (row of four of them) is on Gold Leader though.
this may help: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=257878&page=3&p=3975581&viewfull=1#post3975581

These parts are useful for Y-Wings (a couple more too, depending on which one you do):
14448865_1221428861213266_1179750013078801984_n.jpg

Well, not all are used on the Y-Wing, so that's probably it. Bottom left (row of four of them) is on Gold Leader though.
this may help: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=257878&page=3&p=3975581&viewfull=1#post3975581

These parts are useful for Y-Wings (a couple more too, depending on which one you do):
View attachment 667911
sorry it doesn't , I have too many of this offering to justify buying unless I know what their from (building studio scale falcon) I cannot commit
is there a problem listing the parts kits ? I thought we've gotten beyond that , the other thread seems to show not .

your engine detail castings were spot on by the way ( I bought 2)

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

No problem at all - I didn't understand your question. Sorry! You want IDs?
Here's what I have - again, a lot of these are just "cool" parts I collected and a lot happen to be useful to studio scale builders - these are NOT catering to studio scale specifically, so you may want to skip buying them.

Orange parts are Sealab, so I didn't bother to keep track of where those came fromIMG_8535.jpgIMG_8532.jpgIMG_8533.jpgIMG_8534.jpgIMG_8535.jpgIMG_8532.jpgIMG_8533.jpgIMG_8534.jpg

sorry it doesn't , I have too many of this offering to justify buying unless I know what their from (building studio scale falcon) I cannot commit
is there a problem listing the parts kits ? I thought we've gotten beyond that , the other thread seems to show not .

your engine detail castings were spot on by the way ( I bought 2)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry -the pic uploader is acting weird.

IMG_8450.jpgIMG_8451.jpgIMG_8452.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

******. I give up.
This uploader sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

CLICK CLICK TRYING AGAIN. See if you can read this. Trying to upload multiple files is like trying to swim through molasses.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.03.30 AM.png

Last edited:
Look at the Y parts maps and you should recognize a little over half of the parts. Sealab, nichimo jagdtiger, nichimo i19 boat, [strike]international pay hauler (I think is the crane arms)[/strike], 1/25 centurion, hawker hurricane landing gear, but there are three pieces there we haven't IDd yet. I wouldn't mind just getting hints on them. I thought I knew the piece in the bottom left at some point but I don't anymore.

Last edited:
I think it's great that MM is offering these castings but it would be even greater if they offered sets focused specifically on the Y. Or at least adjusted the quantities of certain parts in the set to that you don't have to buy multiple sets in order to get enough of on particular part. In this new pack they include two guns for the canopy turret, two of the Japanese Sub bulkheads for the rear of the fuselage but only two Sealab cranes (you'll need four) and one each of the little bomblets and landing gear struts and you'll need at least two or more of each of those.

There are at least 40 new Y-Wings in the works out there, I would think there's a big enough market to make Y focused packs good business.

Last edited:
Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Out of my hands and can't make everyone happy I guess. Like I said these were NOT geared towards the Y-Wing builders but I did dot best to reconfigure for this one set...
Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on the phone and not computer so I will be back later with help on IDs if you need more.
Those rails are from the Movin' On

Bottom left - Frog Bristol Beaufighter

- - - Updated - - -

Block parts - the rectangle with two squares? Not an ILM donor.
Just a cool greeblie

Last edited:
Great post SK! We all get so wrapped up in the technical aspects of building these models sometimes that it's easy to overlook the artistic. The Y is (far) greater than the sum of it's parts.

Dave,
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before, but what is your suggestion for the tubing in the back in order to achieve the effect of a larger diameter thin tube that fits around the fatter longer tube?
20160928_165609.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back