3) Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

IMG_7365.jpg

Keep your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up, movin' on
Keep your head up, movin' on

Who am I to disagree?

IMG_7365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so Ed Minto hipped me to using the 8 Rad (bam!) and confirmed my feeling on the 312B, and the turret is still "in play"... Ed thought it might be a Panzer II, but the 1/35th feels too large. The 8-Rad in 1/48 has a better "vibe" but is not correct either! I scratched the transition from Hanomag to Saturn dome. I'm sure it's a kit part, and now that I have committed to build it will make itself known to me, too late ;)

P1020406.jpgP1020407.jpgP1020405.jpg999966_10153891960158156_1976685811641151892_n.jpg10259741_10153891960433156_1780951804604397689_n.jpg

I always wondered why the two hulls didn't line up to close perfectly. They've got that gap. Interesting mash up.

Nice trailblazing on this. Love it.

I'm not doing it alone, that's for sure! Hoping we ID the front bracing, so in the meantime I added some crap I made up on the back, and "off camera" around the tower.... All kit parts so far! The diamond plate disc is from one of the fire trucks. Serendipity, eh?

10368_10153893622603156_4082478738422082477_n.jpg12401028_10153893622623156_1583856129717190379_n-2.jpg1929877_10153893622683156_2719039887557258245_n-2.jpg

Just discovered (well probably already known to everyone) that you actually only need 1 tanker ..... if you look closely at the pics Jason posted, where we see them from both front and read .. you can see on the ridges and details, that it exactly the two tank halves :) ......

... so I've just glued up an extra tank .. all for nothing :p

So I'm finally starting the Spacerooper pack use for this setpiece, and I had some questions about the Fruehauf tanker to ask of those of you who have been delving into this for the last several years...

@KrokoHunter observed a couple posts up that the towers equal half the tanker. I'm curious about the surface detail. I've plied my Google-fu quite extensively, and the best pictures I can find are in this and the Spacetrooper thread, and neither have quite the resolution I'm needing. The Fruehauf tank has different detailing on the endcap pieces -- one smooth and one with raised lines. Has anyone been able to tell if one or the other or both are represented in the towers/tanks? I'll chop up two if needs be to get the right top for both.

Related to the above, how much of the kit beyond the tank itself is used in the towers? It looks like the rectangular top frame is used, and maybe some of the pipes, but I'm unsure.

Getting into other elements, the Saturn V portion used as the crane tower... Is that what's used between the Fruehauf pieces for the backpack version? Or is it something else?

Lastly -- and I'll post this over in the Spacetrooper thread, too -- if the unreleased Marmit figure is anywhere close to accurate, it looks like the bottom part of the pack is primarily made from two of the long paper-paint-bucket parts of the studio scale escape pod, large end to large end. I am, however, slightly leery of this, due to the size of those parts. The narrow end is about ~12.5cm across, and the wide part ~16.5cm. That seems biggish compared to the Fruehauf tanks. Thoughts? Other possibilities?

And @jedimaster, are you still making the Sealab pipe castings available to wrap the tanks?

Thanks in advance,
--Jonah

Both caps are used.

Takahashi-san made up a lot of the Marmit pack (I have a casting)... so don't go by that as reference. We all for the most part have the same reference at the same resolution.

That being said, the Blu-ray was a big help.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 9.06.14 AM.png

Thanks, moffeaton. :) I knew one of you guys would now the perfect picture to throw at me. I have all of the reference from this thread, but you have the time put into studying it. Any insights on the pipes?

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure, given all the piping that comes with the Fruehauf kit. I've printed out the best reference, and I'm doing the old-school method of temporarily sticking the pipes in place on the main tank body and seeing if anything looks particularly right or wrong.

In the end, since I'm doing the Spacetrooper pack, and not recreating the Death Star surface, I feel I can take some liberties. For instance, I like how the Fruehauf wheels look as the upper cap things versus the Movin' On wheels, so that's one kit I don't need to plunk down for. I plan to use jedimaster's cast Sealab pipes, assuming he is still doing them, as they're pretty clearly visible. Beyond that, nearly everything is interpretable, due to lack of photographic documentation.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back