"Terminator 2 3D" Mini Hunter Killer

Kerr Avon

Master Member
I've been working on this little thing for a while now, I specifically got an airbrush early this year and have been trying to work on the skills to paint with Alclad and I think it came out pretty well overall. For those not familiar with it, the Universal Studios ride for "Terminator 2 3D" has a sequence in it where a larger Hunter Killer releases several of these smaller hunter killers to go after the Terminator and John Connor in a blasted out building to try to kill them in the future. I did the kit cleanup, build up and even scratch built the mounting bracket out of aluminum for the gun, and finished it off with the Alclad chrome paint scheme with some smoke coloration on the coils for the flight system.

You can see the full video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM0EZTwE9fM and at the 4:40 mark you can see them being launched into the building.

There are a few parts I haven't put on it yet, around the gun mount, because I had problems with the LED circuit I put in for the eyes. They aren't powering up now for some reason so I'm going to have to disassemble it and dig through the guts again.

2015-08-23-T23DMiniHK1.jpg2015-08-23-T23DMiniHK2.jpg2015-08-23-T23DMiniHK3.jpg2015-08-23-T23DMiniHK4.jpg
This is the complete mounting system, I just don't want to the rest on until I get the LED system working.

2015-08-23-T23DMiniHK5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome. especially the paint job. Iv'e had a bottle of Alclad for months now. wanting to try it. but I don't think my skills are quite there yet. how hand able is the paint after dry on your model?

Well, it's pretty delicate from what I can tell. First you have to prime the surface, sand it as smooth as possible after that. Hit it with black glossy enamel and then over that you put the Alclad. Over that you have to put the water based Alclad glossy clear coat. Over that I put the Tamiya Smoke color to tint parts. I can only say that the paint is a pain to apply though. I had issues with it because I was working in my garage which is detached, dusty and not climate controlled. In better conditions, it's probably easier.

Well, it's pretty delicate from what I can tell. First you have to prime the surface, sand it as smooth as possible after that. Hit it with black glossy enamel and then over that you put the Alclad. Over that you have to put the water based Alclad glossy clear coat. Over that I put the Tamiya Smoke color to tint parts. I can only say that the paint is a pain to apply though. I had issues with it because I was working in my garage which is detached, dusty and not climate controlled. In better conditions, it's probably easier.

Well then you did an amazing job with the environment you had to work in. :thumbsup. another reason I haven't tried it yet.

Would love to know where you got this kit, or how I could get one. Excellent paint job, especially considering you're new to airbrushing, wouldn't be able to tell at all. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back