Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Nice close up images Rob, helps us all appreciate the work on this gem!!

I think if you ever have the opportunity, you should take this to a con of some kind where more people could appreciate it!! Perhaps even get a modest fee for displaying it to off-set travel and materials cost. I think anyone running a con would be happy to have this at their show and pay a small fee to do so. Just my 2¢ ;)

Masked and painted the outer ring today.

Masking this was a bear, mainly due to the raised edge of the overall dish. It would be equally hard to describe the challenges in words, but suffice it to say that I am cringing now, hoping that I got it right. Hoping the masking tape is in just the right line on the edge of the dish so all the white plastic and yellow tape is covered, and that there are no tape lines in the paint.

I won't know until tomorrow or the next day.

Because...

I still need to add the pencil detail. Plus there are some specks of dirt I need to flick out with the tip of an exacto after the paint cures. And after that I need to hit it with the Clear Flat.

So I cannot unmask it tonight...

Which is killing me. Dying to know if the masking was spot on or not. And I hate leaving masking tape on too long. I'm using high-quality, low-tack 3M painters tape, but I have had in the past the occassional spot of adhesive residue here and there.

Oh and the last step is to paint about half of the detail pieces the darker grey, but I can do that after the unmaskin. I don't need to clear coat those.

I'm hoping that if there are errors that need correcting, I can do so in small sections (1"x1" areas) so I don't have to re-mask and respray it all.

OK - done rambling (talking to myself as much as you guys - this is really my DS blog, is it not?)...

.... It would be equally hard to describe the challenges in words, but suffice it to say that I am cringing now, hoping that I got it right. Hoping the masking tape is in just the right line on the edge of the dish so all the white plastic and yellow tape is covered, and that there are no tape lines in the paint.

I won't know until tomorrow or the next day...

In extreme times like this, I find that a cold beer usually helps. (my modellers tip, to you, use it wisely)

Finished the dish yesterday. No major concerns; only some very minor issues, but pratically not noticeable.

Though the outer ring is now bleeding light. I should have been patient and added a coat or two more paint. I should be able to paint the back side to block the light, but am a bit worried as I have alreaded painted the back in black, and it is still bleeding through. Well, all I can do is hit the back side again with black (or silver) and just keep at it...

Pics later...

Brushed on a couple more coats of black latex paint but is still bleeding light. Will try ModelMaster, oil-based silver next.

You could also add some more material onto the back since it will never be seen to try and help reduce the bleed rather than just keep painting it.....

Still struggling... Brushed on coat of Chrome Silver Model Master did do the trick (with a coat of Tamiya Black over the top).

I think (I hope!) it helped a little. But mildly frustrated / concerned.

Worst case scenarion is I re-mask everything and lay down more sprayed on primer coats, essentially re-doing the full outer ring... :(

Last edited:
Rob, Steve Neil suggests using black Tulip paint (it's a fabric type craft paint) It's sold in squeeze bottles.........he hits tough light leaks with that stuff as it is thick and covers much better. Try that if nothing else works...........Before you totally re-prime the whole ring. :)

Rob, Steve Neil suggests using black Tulip paint (it's a fabric type craft paint) It's sold in squeeze bottles.........he hits tough light leaks with that stuff as it is thick and covers much better. Try that if nothing else works...........Before you totally re-prime the whole ring. :)

I'll look for it, as I'm at my wit's end here and about to re-paint the exterior.

It seems no matter what paint I use, or how much, it doesn't diminsh the light bleed. It is almost as if the portion of the backside I am painting doesn't correlate with where the bleed is, but it should though. I am wondering if the styrene of the dish over-extends the acrylic more than I remember.

Last edited:
Look at these photos. I'm thinking the darker grey is outside the acrylic, and inaccessible from the inside.

042014 001.jpg

042014 002.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back