Guardians of the Galaxy - Nebula

eclecticmus

Hello all! I've lost my mind and have decided to have a go at making Nebula's costume from the Guardians of the Galaxy film coming out this week, and I haven't been able to find a thread dealing with her here. The thing is, 90% of my previous cosplay has been off-the-rack stuff so I have NO IDEA where to start here, in terms of fabrics, pattern, other materials, etc. The best I've done so far is consult with a friend who's done Winter Soldier to talk about her metal arm build, because I think something similar could work for Nebula's cybernetic arm. Also. I'm not planning on shaving my head so any tips on bald cap use would be appreciated as well.

I'm sorry if this is a terrible post but I think if I can get pointed in the right direction to start, hopefully I can make something decent.

Here's some pictures to get us started. I guess my first question would be, what sort of fabric do you think her suit is made from, and where are good places to source it? Big thanks in advance

Nebula1.jpg 10570251_704195216282495_1354558119_n.jpg Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Set-Interview-Karen-Gillan-Nebula.jpg guardians-of-the-galaxy-karen-gillan-nebula-HD.jpg

Unfortunately I cant really help with any of the aspects of this costume, but I really look forward to see what you do with it! well, actually, i guess the best first step would be to make a duct tape mannequin or use a dress mannequin and start making a pattern out of some fabric or paper on that. anyway, good luck!

Thanks! This will probably result in tears at least once (or more!) but I think the sheer challenge is half the reason I want to try this.

Wow, you're a Karen Gillan junkie. I've seen some of your Amy costumes on Doctor Who Cosplay. I can't really help with this, but I think it will be a great costume!!

Wow, you're a Karen Gillan junkie. I've seen some of your Amy costumes on Doctor Who Cosplay. I can't really help with this, but I think it will be a great costume!!

Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed...

I've had some friends recommend spandex or neoprene for the main bulk of the costume and I spent a good chunk of last night searching but not really finding anything perfect. However, I just ran across this page and was wondering if it might be a good material/color to start with, or if it's too red. It's milliskin spandex in wine. I'd go with the matte instead of shiny if I can find it elsewhere.

http://hollywoodfabricinc.com/spend...skin-shiny-matte/milliskin-shiny-ms1-966.html

I did a bald cap test today and while it wasn't a total disaster (first time doing anything like this!) it still needs a lot of work! I can’t get behind the ears and the back to stay glued down at all, and I wonder if that’s because of the extra space it has to stretch and cover because of my hair, or how much is spirit gum just not being that great (Pros-Aide, here I come). My hair itself went up pretty okay but all of the bobby pins HURT. There may yet be a severe haircut in my future.

For reference, my hair comes down to about mid-breast.

captest3.jpg captest1.jpg captest2.jpg

In the meantime, I've got a pattern ordered and a secondhand purple leather jacket on the way to scavenge for the trim of her suit.

Hello again! I know this is really slow-going but this is probably going to be a costume I work on in bits and pieces as my budget and resources allow.

I've picked up a pattern to work with (KwikSew 2722) and now I'm looking at fabric. I can't figure out what actual material Nebula's suit is made out of, but I had several people suggest matte milliskin spandex to me in order to get the form-fitted look right. I ordered swatches of a few colors along with a secondhand purple leather jacket off Ebay to use for the trim and various accessories.

fabric-swatches.jpg fabric-swatches4.jpg

The jacket ended up being a LOT darker in person than the auction photos showed, which was pretty disappointing, but I think I can still use depending on what colors I go with. After a lot of back-and-forth and changing my mind and asking people for opinions, I think I'm going to go with the two colors on the left in the second picture: the top color for the bulk of the suit and the bottom color for the contrasting panels on her bust and stomach. If I go with that option the leather jacket I think will still be okay. What do you guys think?

The only real reservation I have about the milliskin spandex is that it feels a bit thin and I'm worried about it becoming see-through as it stretches. Is it possible to do any sort of lining on spandex garments? (Good thing I'm planning on wearing high-waisted shaper leggings underneath, probably.)

In the meantime, if you haven't already, do go and check out Karin Olava Effects on Facebook. She's put together a STUNNING Nebula costume and it's given me so much inspiration. From her I've got a good start on how to do the cybernetic arm and head pieces. I'm really looking forward to the breakdown post she's planning on writing.

Thought you mike like this for some reference, This girl killed it at SDCC this year.

Thanks! That's the lady I mentioned in my post today, though she debuted it at Torucon in Norway instead of SDCC. She looks amazing. I actually have that photo up on my computer right now next to my fabric swatches and one of Karen Gillan.

Theres also a link to her facebook on the bottom of that article where she has detailed the construction process.

Theres also a link to her facebook on the bottom of that article where she has detailed the construction process.

Read my first comment from today--I said that everyone should go check out her Facebook, that she's been a big inspiration to me, and that she's given me a good head start on constructing the cybernetic prosthetics.

My bad, I mustve missed that last sentence, scrolling too fast. Well, at least now theres a link for lazy scrollers like me. :p

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back