What sewing/pattern drafting techniques are you interested in learning?

charades

I've been approved to run 2 pattern drafting panels/workshops at Costume Con later this month. I'm trying to come up with content ideas and thought I'd just ask the community. If you were at a costume-making focused convention, and had the chance to learn something new, or improve upon skills in pattern drafting and/or sewing, what are some topics you'd really like to learn from someone with formal education in fashion design?

Drafting vests using custom measurements. I always found the vests to be a challenge for some reason but I can make shirts, and pants no problem lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Drafting vests using custom measurements. I always found the vests to be a challenge for some reason but I can make shirts, and pants no problem lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Is it the fit in the chest? Overall design? What sort of vests? (like army kit style cargo vest, or tailored 3-piece suit kind of vest?)

Is it the fit in the chest? Overall design? What sort of vests? (like army kit style cargo vest, or tailored 3-piece suit kind of vest?)
3-peice suit kind of vest. My problem isn't the chest fit or stomach fit, but making arm holes to fit my arms perfectly.

Greatcoats, or military coats of Russian/Germanic influence. The accents and styling of their garments have always enthralled me.

(And the vest/waistcoat suggestion is also very close to my heart as far as being able to construct.)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Altering an existing shirt, or shirt pattern, with a different collar design. I think a lot of us try to use something that is already close to what we need, and the collar is a tough one. I have run into this problem several times, with both collars that fold over onto the shirt, and collars that stand up or hug the neck. Seems like if I want it to hug the neck, it stands up strait as an arrow, and vice versa.

Body suit patterning and Lycra/Spandex sewing. Useful for a lot of popular superheroes and muscle suits.

I can actually point you to a couple of resources. This pattern from Kwiksew is a 2-piece dancewear for men, which is a good foundation for a body suit. Dancewear fits closely, so you should be able to merge the top and bottom pieces to create a one piece. It would just require a bit of trial and error muslin sewing to get it right. But so would virtually any other method anyway. https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3029

There is also www.stretchy.org which has a very in depth explanation of how to take measurements and create a pattern for bodysuits for any gender.

Bodysuits for women are infinitely easier to find foundation patterns for. https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3052 and https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3502 are my go-to favourites.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back