Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I know George originally wanted wookiees to be primitive and have them be the ones to take out the empire. But when he ended up making Chewie smart, he instead made the ewoks in the wookiees place.

I didn't mean he was literally a pet, but just that he was treated diifferently in ANH than ESB.

Gotcha. Well, yes, his character was given some extra depth in ESB.

All I'm sayin' is I don't like Han scratching his neck in the cantina deleted scene. Given the setting and mood, it is belittling to Chewie. How would you guys like it if Han scratched Chewie's neck whilst saying to him, "Seventeen-thousand! This could really save my neck. Get back to the ship and get her ready."?? It would've been extremely odd, and would've changed the way we view Chewie, and the way we view his relationship to Han.

The Wook

ps~@JediMichael, I don't think it that was the reason. AFAIK, it was a practical decision, based on the fact that midgets were far more plentiful than 7-footers in the casting pools.

Last edited:

I don't really like the way Han shouts at Chewie in ESB

"put it back together right now!"

J
I actually really enjoy their banter in ESB.

There was some raw studio footage going around recently of Han yelling up to Chewie ontop the Falcon at Echo base. You get to hear Peter Mayhew speak actual dialog and it's quite amusing!

I actually really enjoy their banter in ESB.

There was some raw studio footage going around recently of Han yelling up to Chewie ontop the Falcon at Echo base. You get to hear Peter Mayhew speak actual dialog and it's quite amusing!

Yep....and to hear Chewie moaning,.....brilliant clip......No I love the banter in ESB,....but its just that one line that Han says,....'put it back together right now!' that I don't think it suits Han & Chewie's relationship,....he talks down to Chewie,.....maybe if we heard Mayhew's response it might be better.....maybe Chewie responded by "if you don't shut up,...you'll be doing it yourself!!"....

J

Yep....and to hear Chewie moaning,.....brilliant clip......No I love the banter in ESB,....but its just that one line that Han says,....'put it back together right now!' that I don't think it suits Han & Chewie's relationship,....he talks down to Chewie,.....maybe if we heard Mayhew's response it might be better.....maybe Chewie responded by "if you don't shut up,...you'll be doing it yourself!!"....

J

having listened to my great uncle and dad working on a car together, I see a different perspective of that banter. They respect each other, but when it comes to fixing things communication becomes... less civil "No NO This one goes here, THAT one goes there" reads as completely believable to me between two guys fixing their vehicle while crunched for time, and while his tone is not in the least kind or respectful sounding, it doesn't come off as "talking down" to me.

having listened to my great uncle and dad working on a car together, I see a different perspective of that banter. They respect each other, but when it comes to fixing things communication becomes... less civil "No NO This one goes here, THAT one goes there" reads as completely believable to me between two guys fixing their vehicle while crunched for time, and while his tone is not in the least kind or respectful sounding, it doesn't come off as "talking down" to me.

Ha....maybe I just feel sorry for the big guy

J

Maybe the species expresses and receives affectionate expressions of comeraderie differently than we do on Earth. I would slap my buddy on the back or punch his shoulder, Han pets Chewie. Doesn't make him an inferior or pet.

I've got human friends who give each other comments as rough as anything Han ever gave Chewie. Han never showed a lot of emotional affection towards Chewie but that was just Han's character. His respect/affection was implied about as much as it needed to be.

Chewie was portrayed as perhaps a bit more intelligent in ESB than ANH but it wasn't an obvious difference. I think that was just Kasdan & Kershner's touch instead of Lucas's. Probably not an intentional change.

I took the tone as them knowing trouble was on the way and they NEEDED to get out of there. The urgency of the matter and getting stuff mixed up at the last moment is bound to bring a lot of extra tension. These moments could have been a difference of life or death being the Empire was in its way to the base and the ceiling above them literally crumbling from the battle happening outside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What about Leia's "walking carpet" comment in ANH? She's quite the speciesist.

In ANH, Leia was more "Princess" than anything else. She acted imperiously towards everyone:

* To Luke: "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
* To Han: "I don't know who you are, or where you came from. But from now on, you'll do as I tell you."
* About Chewie: "Would someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?!"

So, I don't think she was a speciesist. She was just a royal biatch.

The Wook

Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

So what that means is... winning the Falcon in a game of Sabaac, saving Chewbacca and doing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. They really need to explain how he gets his chin scar, his black vest, the blood stripes on his pants... and probably throw in an "easter egg" about the silver dice in the Falcon cockpit. Am I missing anything?
Don't forget the whole Jabba deal. They have to cram in his dumping cargo at the first sign of trouble. Even Han gets boarded sometimes. Maybe they'll have Jabba put out the bounty, and show a young Greedo standing in a [place] looking at the list of bounties being post. Or maybe show young Greedo trying to apprehend someone and accidentally shooting him (hair trigger).

Ha-ha, ha-ha. Chortle, chortle. Snicker. (sigh)

Hey, Disney/Lucasfilm folks: how about some NEW stories, with NEW characters we can latch onto. Stop flogging the original, principal heroes?

Please don't have Han scratch Chewie's face/neck, as though he's some kind of servile pet monkey, like he did in that deleted footage. It's humiliating to Chewbacca.
Never saw that, but curious. There's a lot of stuff that I'll wager Richard (edit; thx) Chew dropped on the floor, and with good reason. Lucas can't edit for nuthin', I heard, he needed good editors to say, "Don't need this, don't need this, definitely lose this, OH now this is good, we keep this...."

Didn't Lucas say that after ANH he changed his mind on Chewie being the dog in the passenger seat (where he got the idea)? Chewie went from being a kind of pet to an intelligent equal.
There's a lot made of a Wookiee being a big brute, but their banter even in SW (1977) shows a depth of friendship and camaraderie that requires some intelligence, mutual understanding. Just from memory:

"Chewie, get us out of here!"

"Our passengers must be hotter than I thought. Angle the deflectors while I get the coordinates for the jump..."

"rawwrr- rawr rawr-awr rawrrrr" "Yeah, you said it, Chewie…" [One of my favorite bits of dialog in the whole film]

[giving Han a questioning, maybe judging, look] "What're you looking at – I know what I'm doing."

There's a little of Harpo and Chico Marx in Chewie and Han, where Harpo just toots a horn, and Chico responds, illustrating to us the audience what Harpo apparently said or is thinking. Simple stage/film device. In the case of a huge anthropoid bear-monkey, it's funny. It also reinforces this is a multi-species universe. Chewie and Han understand each other (somehow).

And by the way, Chewbacca's the First Mate. He's responsible for a lot of *#&@. Comes with the job. But he gets his perqs, like getting to play a little pickup game of Phil Tippett chess with a droid while Han squares away the cockpit.

Ha....maybe I just feel sorry for the big guy

J
Careful with that, Wookiees may not take kindly to sympathy or pity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I think the whole concept of a young Han Solo is more of a choice of Disney banking on the fact that Han Solo is arguably the most popular character in the entire series and thinking they can make an easy payday out of it. Han is not my favorite character, but he is with the fans at large and the general populace. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint to base an entire movie around the character because it's a safe bet when you realize it's not as risky as Rogue One was, but honestly we don't really need to see him meet Chewie, or win the Falcon, or meet Lando. Do we?

I mean who cares? We know he does it. I don't need a whole film to show me all of this stuff. Do any of you on the forum want to see any of this?

I'm probably just beating a dead horse, but I just can't wrap my head around what they could possibly commit to film that is going to be worthy of 40 freakin years of fan expectations for the character's origins.

I don't want to see origins, I don't want "easter eggs" showing this or that previously mentioned events, I don't want him to have a "mentor", I don't want how Han met Chewie.
I want a space western yarn about a tough gun slinging space cowboy who is rather the self centered jerk anti-hero pursuing his quest for money. And no I don't want to know why he became a self centered jerk. We all know why people end up that way anyways, hard life grinds people down. You don't need to show it. Besides he gets along with Chewie and that is the place he can show his sympathetic side being his loyal pal.

Odds are slim for me huh? LOL

I agree with Cessna.. this is turning out to be the opposite of what I was hoping for. Wouldn't it be easy enough to just give us a snapshot story of Han getting into trouble with some rough types while on a smuggling job?

Maybe someone could give us the backstory of Elliot from The Searchers or The Man with No Name as well.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back