AKIRA power bike-based electric bike build

BruceKenobi

Hi Guys! I don't know if this is the right forum to post this on, but I figured theRPF is THE most awesome building community so I wanted to post it here. last year I finished my electric motorcycle conversion (The Mark 1!) and after testing it out I came to realize that electric motorcycles can take other shapes different from ICE bikes, so I finally decided to start The Mark 2, which will be an electric motorcyle based on the visual concept of Kaneda's power bike from the anime Akira. For those unfamiliar with the bike here are some pictures:

Akira - Kaneda's bike render by Asgard Knight.jpgAkira - Kaneda's bike rendering side by Evan Davies.jpgAkira - Kaneda's bike side animation archives.jpgAkira - Kaneda's bike side live-action concept art by Christian Pearce.jpgAkira - Kaneda's bike side live-action rendering by Tim Flattery.jpgAkira - Kaneda's bike tech specs.jpg

I'm designing the bike to have:

System Voltage: 96 v
Range: 105 Km aprox. (66 mi)
Top speed: over 100 Kph (62.5 mph)
Tires: RIM 21
single seat
LED lighting
Android powered dashboard
more goodies.

Let me know what you think. :)

My original Mark 1, had a set up similar to a regular ICE-bike: one motor in the middle connected by chain to the rear tire. I'm going to stick to that configuration for the Mark 2, since having two motors (one for each wheel) poses a couple of problems:

1.If using a regular motor, you need space to put 2 motors, and connect the 2 motors to their whells by ribbon or chain becomes a problem as well as duplicate parts for both circuits (2 controllers, 2 chains/ribbons, 2 motors)
2. It will require more batteries, hence more weight, and power-to-weight ratio in electric motorcycles is a bigger issue than one may think.
3.If using HUB-motors, which means the center of the wheel has the motor in it, that reduces a lot of points 1 and 2 problems, but raises a new one: how do you keep both going at the same time? otherwise they become out of phase and I could turn up with a motor spinning faster than the other one, and slower motor becomes slight drag; all this leads to complex electronic control, which at this point I am not capable of designing.

Still, thank you for the question!! :)

"Twin ceramic rotor drives on each wheel! And these look like computer controlled anti-lock brakes! Wow, 200 horses at 12,000 rpm!"

Oh man. I will be following this with great interest. All the best!

Thanks buddy! I will try to post regularly to show you progress. I just hope it looks in the end like the picture in my mind

"Twin ceramic rotor drives on each wheel! And these look like computer controlled anti-lock brakes! Wow, 200 horses at 12,000 rpm!"
hehehehe well....I won't be putting in THOSE specs!

AKIRA power bike-based electric bike build. .............. Do you have current pictures of your bike? Thanks....
I have pictures of my first bike (Mark 1), but I'm starting this one, aptly named Mark 2. I will post pictures of the progress for you to see. I know skepticism is a natural response with such a title, but again, it's a new thing, I just started the whole planning, designing process. Thank you for your interest.

you've got to be kidding me! this is going to be amazing!

Dude, I really hope so, I have done a lot of homework on the thing, online and the movie, and there's a lot of stuff that is "hammerspace" Still, I'm confident I can build an electric bike (I have already done one!) the real key here is the custom build chassis, and the Android dashboard

I have pictures of my first bike (Mark 1), but I'm starting this one, aptly named Mark 2. I will post pictures of the progress for you to see. I know skepticism is a natural response with such a title, but again, it's a new thing, I just started the whole planning, designing process. Thank you for your interest.

There have been street-legal replicas of this bike built before so it's definitely not impossible, but the level of fabrication, design and engineering required to make it all work in the correct form factor is no small feat, so I think the skepticism is to be expected.

I recall another build started many years ago by (I believe) a user here that has been hanging in limbo for almost as long as i've been a member here myself.

Last edited:
There have been street-legal replicas of this bike built before so it's definitely not impossible, but the level of fabrication, design and engineering required to make it all work in the correct form factor is no small feat, so I think the skepticism is to be expected.

I recall another build started many years ago by (I believe) a user here that has been hanging in limbo for almost as long as i've been a member here myself.
I know of particularly 3: 2 in Japan, one is sanctioned as the true replica of the bike, even by the creator, the Fukuoka build. There is another one not as close, and finally one that is more a maquette made for a West music video; regardless of that, what you say it's true: it is no small feat, right now the mechanical part (motor and power-train) is not what worries me, but the chassis construction and the finishing in fiberglass. But fear never got us anywhere wouldn't you say? Thank you very much for your interest, more pictures are coming soon.

Masashi Teshima's bike is certainly the most famous replica of it, as well as the most accurate functional build to the source material. There was another Japanese company who built arguably the best looking full-scale version of the bike (complete with full dash, nav system and gauges), photographed for the Mechanix 2019 Official Artbook. However this was a fiberglass replica that was not a functional vehicle.

For comparison, Masashi's bike took over 7 years to complete at a cost of $120,000. I've read that he has since used it for charity work across Japan, which is where the numerous photos of his bike come from. I would definitely like to see pictures of your build!

Masashi Teshima's bike is certainly the most famous replica of it, as well as the most accurate functional build to the source material. There was another Japanese company who built arguably the best looking full-scale version of the bike (complete with full dash, nav system and gauges), photographed for the Mechanix 2019 Official Artbook. However this was a fiberglass replica that was not a functional vehicle.

For comparison, Masashi's bike took over 7 years to complete at a cost of $120,000. I've read that he has since used it for charity work across Japan, which is where the numerous photos of his bike come from. I would definitely like to see pictures of your build!

That's the one I called Fukuoka, you are very right, Masashi's build was used for charity work. I will definitely be posting pictures as the build progresses! Thanks buddy!

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome! Crazy project to tackle for sure x)
you betcha!! it is crazy, the craziest thing is that to build a functional vehicle is already hard, and electric one at that with LiPoFe batteries has and extra factor, and to base it on a bike from an anime? whew! But as I told Grey: fear never got us anywhere wouldn't you say?

Are your specs taken from this build? Some more info would be great. Range, etc.
Sure Dude, but first let me clarify something: the photos and video above are of the Mark 1, already made, and great. What I want for the Mark 2 is in the very first post. Now, Regarding Mark 1:

System Voltage: 48 v
Amp: 55 AH
Range: 30 Km aprox, on flat terrain, on hilly it drops a lot.
Top speed: 65 Kph
Tires: RIM 15 and 16
single seat
LED lighting
regular dashboard
Donor Bike: Motor 1 Bandit.

I just wanted to see your previous build. Looks good, straight out of Equador!

I would mainly recommend modifying an existing one, at least partially. Im sure your deep into research already.

There is this one guy, IM sure you seen was building a replica many moons ago and still is at it. you know the Matus Akira project.

Anyhow, looks like you have the understanding of the electric part of the bike and if you modified or built the mark 1 frame, you should be well on your way.

Im my opinion I would find the largest scooter avialible cheap or free in your area with a title or papers and start there, that way you are mainly building a "modified" whatever not a whole new built frame. I guess my concern would be registration and insurance at that point.

Also a scooter frame is most closely related to the the Power bike frame.

At that point you need the figure the wheel setup that will work for your project and so on.

I would also recommend to worry about function, structure and safety first, then worry about it looking exactly like the Power bike.
You have a lot of work ahead of you, please keep posting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back