Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

To me the cast looks promising, but I stand by my assessment that nothing they commit to film will live up to fan expectations and is sure to disappoint. I'm sure Disney thinks that it's a surefire hit, I mean who doesn't love Han Solo, but does anyone really want to see Han before he became "Han Solo" as we knew him from ANH? I mean really? It's likely going to end up like a sheet with boxes that need to get checked off.

Boxes:

1. Meets Chewbacca
2. Wins Falcon from Lando in a game of space poker
3. Does the Kessel Run in less than 12 Parsecs
4. Takes on a job from Jabba that he has to abandon when boarded by Imperials
5. Comes across Jedi but dismisses it as a hokey religion

We already know all of this just by watching the OT. Any Star Wars fan worth their salt already knows this stuff and has 40 years of ideas on how it all played out.

I don't know. I hope that I'm wrong. I really do.

This movie will only work if they avoid checking those boxes ENTIRELY. We KNOW all that crap. If this is just a freaking nostalgia Mad Lib like Rogue One and TFA, fans are going to get tetchy I suspect. Disney needs to give us something halfway fresh or gtfo. I liked TFA a lot, and warmed to R1, but my childhood is a stone they can't wring too much more water out of.

I can forgive TFA for recycling the plot of ANH solely on the fact that the new cast of characters are relatable and interesting. As long as The Last Jedi and 9 aren't reboots of ESB and ROTJ then we are in for a treat. Rogue One was not for me. I didn't care about any of the characters and it's not going to be one of the films that holds up to repeat viewings over a few years because it's filler material. I don't understand why Disney feels the need to bank on known characters and events to rely on for stories when at the least the saga films aren't bound by already known events. When studios fill in puzzle pieces of big franchises they do so at the risk of making lackluster movies to make sure it all fits together rather than making an engaging story that adds to the overall experience.

With Rogue One, we know that they succeed in stealing the Death Star plans and if this Han Solo movie is going to be anything like I've read, we know the whole plot already. We're not learning much new about Han by seeing his origin story. Besides I don't think they can really give much more depth to his character. His entire arc has already been told from ANH to TFA.

That being said, yes of course I'll see it and maybe I'll be completely wrong in my assessment but movies are more products than art these days. If Disney wants to keep riding the gravy train that is Star Wars they need to be smart enough to realize that nostalgia can only take you so far.

I'm too lazy, somebody photoshop a Falcon with three dozen landing gear ;)

capture.JPG

With Rogue One, we know that they succeed in stealing the Death Star plans and if this Han Solo movie is going to be anything like I've read, we know the whole plot already.

Well, yes that is true, but by that logic (and just to play Devil's Advocate here) after you watched ANH why did you ever watch it again? You already knew what was going to happen?

hah, hey it says "art not final" right on there! see, I think they're going for something like: the dish was ORIGINALLY square, got knocked off and replaced with round before ANH, then knocked off again in ROTJ, and restored to it's natural state in TFA.

hah, hey it says "art not final" right on there! see, I think they're going for something like: the dish was ORIGINALLY square, got knocked off and replaced with round before ANH, then knocked off again in ROTJ, and restored to it's natural state in TFA.

That's gotta be it, that makes total sense!

Well, yes that is true, but by that logic (and just to play Devil's Advocate here) after you watched ANH why did you ever watch it again? You already knew what was going to happen?

I know you're just playing Devil's Advocate but the reason why I've watched A New Hope hundreds of times (and will likely continue to do so for many years to come) is that I love the characters and the theme of the film. I think Mark Hamill said it best:

"Visual metaphors reinforce and expand the spoken words meaning. In a world of marvelous machinery George was saying the human spirit is even more miraculous. Star Wars central irony, it takes high tech movie making to state an anti technological theme."

Rogue One had neither a central theme, or characters to support it. Not to my mind anyway. That's not to say that it was a bad film. It just wasn't a great one.

Generally speaking of course many movies aren't going to have a lasting impact upon repeated viewings for this very same reason. Not only does Hollywood lack imagination but there are very few directors and writers who can come up with something that has a theme that resonates. Most of it is just flash and filler.

I dunno guys (and I'm not saying this angrily, heh), but come on... I know it means a lot to some people, but the original trilogy didn't care about little things prop wise flick to flick. IF they did, I wouldn't have 24 lightsabers when only 3 guys held them in the 3 flicks, and only one of them had 2 different lightsabers (story wise).

Vaders helmet is all over the place... you're not supposed to believe he had 3 different helmets. Same with Han's blaster... it's not supposed to be 3 different ones.

As much as I love attention to detail, 5 landing gears is a weird deal breaker. Whatever happened to story?

But the thing is,.....we do.....it's the Replica Prop Forum,....attention to detail is very important here

J

So, is there some in-universe reason that the Falcon went from three landing struts to five? Or why the cockpit got enlarged between ANH and ESB?

I mean, we all know the real-world reasons for it, but the general audience isn't really supposed to notice those things like that.

I think it looks far far better with three landing gear. The extra boxes for five landing gear create a less streamlined look.
So hope they do go back to three.

So, is there some in-universe reason that the Falcon went from three landing struts to five? Or why the cockpit got enlarged between ANH and ESB?

I mean, we all know the real-world reasons for it, but the general audience isn't really supposed to notice those things like that.

In the Haynes Falcon manual it says that not long before the evacuationof Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth, Solo and Chwbacca extensively renovated the Falcon's undercarrage and landing gear. They added new legs and assosiated housing structures, and reinforced the hull to withstand additional stresses.

You see Chewie working on the new legs in ESB

J

- - - Updated - - -

I think it looks far far better with three landing gear. The extra boxes for five landing gear create a less streamlined look.
So hope they do go back to three.

Me too....beautiful.....3 gears like the way McQuarrie & Johnston illustrated her

J

In the Haynes Falcon manual it says that not long before the evacuationof Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth, Solo and Chwbacca extensively renovated the Falcon's undercarrage and landing gear. They added new legs and assosiated housing structures, and reinforced the hull to withstand additional stresses.

You see Chewie working on the new legs in ESB

J

- - - Updated - - -

Me too....beautiful.....3 gears like the way McQuarrie & Johnston illustrated her

J
IIRC the ESB novelization also mentions the additions at Echo base.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back