Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Is this the guy?.....looks like a beard too

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3d11852604c80c50c440207adf95d8be&oe=58B0BF62

I'd say,.....if they wanted Biggs they would have used SW footage of 'Biggs',....Wedge etc

J

yeah , that was the guy i first noticed...

Also, are we to assume bail left the yavin base and went straight home to alderaan to await obi wans arrival? or is the movie telling us he may be alive still?

Also, I assume leia was going to bring obi there to study the death star plans or something?

And that market place reminded me less of star wars, more of the middle east.

i don't know. it wasn't a bad movie. but it just seemed all over the place. i would not put it next to esb by a long shot.

I got to watch it a second time and I think my first opinion still stands. I really really like this movie. I like this movie leaps and bounds more than Episode 7, and other than the score being very weak at times, it did everything right for me.

Now a lot of folks are bringing up Tarkin and Leia. The creature effects were less convincing than the CGI Tarkin to me.. this is coming from a practical effects make-up guy.
Leia was an abomination and I think it would have been better served to keep her facing away from the camera. Everyone in that theater knew who she was, she didn't need to turn around to give that line, and some folks made an audible gasp when she did.

That is what bugs me about the Leia scene. It was like they did the CGI just to say they did it. It would have worked perfectly fine to have filmed her from the back and have somebody say "Here are the plans, Leia".... boom. That has the same effect and you never have to show her weird CGI face.

The Tarkin portion I can understand doing with CGI since he was such an instrumental part of ANH, he'd inevitably have more screen time than Leia in this movie.

One thing that made the Vader Hallway scene feel real to me, aside from the use of Force powers and economy of movement, was when he first ignited the saber. It looked like the old rotoscoped style from ANH. Really brought me back.

That is what bugs me about the Leia scene. It was like they did the CGI just to say they did it. It would have worked perfectly fine to have filmed her from the back and have somebody say "Here are the plans, Leia".... boom. That has the same effect and you never have to show her weird CGI face.

The Tarkin portion I can understand doing with CGI since he was such an instrumental part of ANH, he'd inevitably have more screen time than Leia in this movie.
My thoughts exactly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My quick review:

The first act was a mess. The scenes themselves were good, but the narrative glue holding them together was weak.

From Jedha on, however, the film grabbed me and never let go. I thought it looked spectacular (and yeah, I really loved that Tarkin was in there. He was about 95% successful in my view). Loved the Vader stuff. This is the best space battle of the franchise for me.... just spectacular. Characters were a little weakr than I might have preferred, but still good. I felt something when each of them went, though K-2 was my favorite. I loved the R2 and 3PO cameo. Love seeing my old friends there, just for a sec. Loved particularly Red Leader and Gold Leader in the movie. Of course, the last two minutes was Off. The. Hook. Leia effects were weaker than Tarkin, but still plenty good IMO.

8/10 for me... a touch below TFA, which I prefer just slightly more.

One thing that made the Vader Hallway scene feel real to me, aside from the use of Force powers and economy of movement, was when he first ignited the saber. It looked like the old rotoscoped style from ANH. Really brought me back.

I loved the saber blade too. It had that kind of organic 'trembling' like the old footage. I wonder if they wrote software to randomly vary the blade shape, or if it was actually hand-animated this time.

I thought the space battle was good but the whole end sequence went on a little too long. It could have been trimmed down a few minutes.

I like it overall...

Of course totally cool to see old school hardware on screen again. Infusing of new designs was not over the top or distracting. Weird not having the opening scroll and fanfare. Sort of just "fell in" to the story, and took a while to begin to feel like a Star Wars story. But I liked the overall story structure of how the Mads character basically grew a heart and engineered the Achilles's Heel. (along with the additional detail as to how it would work to destroy the station). Lends more credence to Luke's ability to blow it up.

Mentioned above, I like the last 5-10 minutes and how well it connected with ANH.

Watched it at Cinepolis here in Orange County. Poor experience...

Multiple white starbursts all over the screen for the duration of the film due to a defect in the digital playback. Theater refunded only 50% of the ticket price since we watched the full film. I spent 15 minutes out of the auditorium negotiating with the managers over this. Ordered a second round of drinks and desert; server totally forgot. The moment he came with the bill (and apologized for forgetting), he was blocking my view of the Death Star firing on Scarif.

And what did you think of Tarkin and Leia?

As for your theater experience, that sounds like a nightmare! You missed FIFTEEN minutes in the middle of the movie?! God, that sucks.

The Wook

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the door open when the rebel fleet troopers were trying to get away from Vader?
Is it official somewhere where it explains that? Is it the damage to the ship from battle or is it Vader Force holding the door from opening?

Considering the door opened the instant Vader stabbed the last guy, I'd say he was holding it closed. Also, the ship was damaged.

It could be he was holding it closed. It could also be that it was malfunctioning, and when he got up to the door, he wanted it to open, so it opened.

Wow, sounds like a place NOT to go see a movie!

Multiple white starbursts all over the screen for the duration of the film due to a defect in the digital playback. Theater refunded only 50% of the ticket price since we watched the full film. I spent 15 minutes out of the auditorium negotiating with the managers over this. Ordered a second round of drinks and desert; server totally forgot. The moment he came with the bill (and apologized for forgetting), he was blocking my view of the Death Star firing on Scarif.

Why wouldn't the door open when the rebel fleet troopers were trying to get away from Vader?
Is it official somewhere where it explains that? Is it the damage to the ship from battle or is it Vader Force holding the door from opening?

Pretty sure it was just jammed, and when Vader stabbed the guy and his saber went through the door it must have released whatever was jamming it. Of course, some people will say that's dumb, and that it's just an excuse to have the Vader slaughter scene. But that's life. Stuff like that happens. If it hadn't jammed, then the Vader scene would've gone differently. But it did jam.

I thought Leia and Tarkin were some of the best things about the film. In my opinion some people are being overly critical. (Before anyone bothers responding to that, yes, I know this is the RPF where there's really no such thing, and I wouldn't want it any other way :) keep reading.) I'd read the rumors about the possibility of a CGI Tarkin recreation months ago, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how well it worked. Major characters like Leia and Tarkin being shown with their backs constantly turned or faces cleverly hidden from the camera would have been much more noticeable in my view. As it stands, I think in my two viewings the appearance of Tarkin probably flew over most of the audience's heads, as Peter Cushing isn't the best know actor out there, but rather than the negatively described "gasp" some here are saying they heard when Leia appeared, I heard applause and cheers. Followed in each case, after the credits rolled, by spirited discussions along the lines of: "how did they do that?!"

It's easy sometimes to forget that most people who consider themselves "fans" are the casual sort, who don't know Red Leader from Gold Leader and who may have subconsciously noticed something "off" with Tarkin but assumed it was just how creepy his smile (and those cheekbones!) were.

Sorta maybe. There's a background rebel pilot that resembles Biggs on Yavin and I think has his helmet. You can interpret that as you will.

Of course some will claim this violates the SW space time continuum if it is Biggs and thus the Biggs scene (lost footage on Tatooine) must not be cannon.

I like to think the Tatooine Biggs scene IS cannon as it appears in the novel and original Marvel comic adaption (OK that might be stretching it I know). I still think they should edit it back into Episode 4.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
So many variables. But, the best bet is that if that is Biggs - the deleted scenes are no longer canon.

If the timeline of R1 to ANH is minutes (which has been suggested) - or even a day or two, it's impossible Biggs would have made it to Tatooine (barring some exceptional time shifts). If Vader's pursuit of the Tantive IV is longer - a week or so (and Leia and crew avoided making a return to a populated area to avoid detection - and didn't go to Yavin IV for some reason), it's still a stretch, but possible.

But, that also asks did we actually see Biggs in the space battle or just wandering around Yavin IV? If he wasn't at the Scariff battle, it is possible he left for Tatooine - although that means he wasn't headed back the Academy - he was already a Rebel. But, those could have been little white lies he told Luke to keep them both safe.

Leia is such an iconic look, I think they should have went with her just being looked at from the side, with her buns, and saying hope, considering it was so short. She looked way worse to me than Tarkin, I thought Tarkin looked amazing. I knew of course it was CGI, but it was really well done. Leia on the other hand felt forced, and looked awkward/uncanny valley to me. Especially since she is so beautiful in ANH.
Mr Mold Maker Im with you on the creature effects, Im a practical make up effects guy too, and to be honest, there didnt seem like that many aliens that were memorable. That little frog rebel guy comes to mind, but he reminded me of one of the characters from the old Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren. I thought TFA had way more memorable creature effects than R1 did. That were practical at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Twarkins and Leia, regardless of how effective you found the effect (I thought it was very effective) you have to give a tip of the cap to ILM for being bold and giving it a go. SW films should always be advancing new technology in film.

Not only that, but it's the holy grail of special effects: being able to put a deceased actor back in the film. A staggering achievement.

By the way: it's ahead of schedule, The Running Man (1987) predicted that ability in a world set between 2017 and 2019

Not only that, but it's the holy grail of special effects: being able to put a deceased actor back in the film. A staggering achievement.

By the way: it's ahead of schedule, The Running Man (1987) predicted that ability in a world set between 2017 and 2019

Computer generated imagery is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

Personally I think it's a bit creepy, but I really really liked it. I'm fact I would prefer if they used that method for Han in the Han Solo movie.

Thoughts...

Biggs canon -- Luke mentions his Toshi conversation with Biggs in ANH when he says, "Biggs is right! I'm never getting off this planet." Or something like that.

How much time between Tantive at Scarif and Tantive at Tatooine --- Unknown, but I still dont think it was very long, since Leia had changed neither her hair nor her clothes.

A.J.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back