Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

When Chirrut was telling folks' fortunes in the street, he says "May the Force of others be with you," which was the original version of the saying in Lucas' first draft of Star Wars.

When Bodhi is trying to convince the Imperials to let their ship through the gate, Jyn is gripping her crystal with her eyes closed. It looked like something that a Force user might do. (Probably not, but it certainly looked that way to me.)

The Force is an ancient religion......Jyn is gripping her crystal with her eyes closed, like a Christian holding a crucifix on a necklace

Same goes with Chirrut,....he believes that the Force will protect him......until it doesnt

J

Maybe Saw Gerrera spent a little too much time hanging out with the Bogalit land-squid thing himself. That would explain why he was a little off his rocker when we see him after Jyn is all grown-up, and why he said what he did to Bodhi. Sort of a space-squid version of "getting high on your own supply." :lol

This guy pretty on point with how I feel...

http://scriptshadow.net/film-review-rogue-one/

AND he pointed out the one thing that was missing that I couldn't put my finger on... an expectation I had for the movie that didn't happen.

When the trailer hit with Jyn in what I thought was tie fighter gear, I figured they were IN the Death Star... that Jyn and them smuggled aboard... that she may escape ON a Tie Fighter, or they stole the one that appeared in the other trailer, got that pilots flight suit and flew THAT to the Death Star.

Nope.

And my favorite shots, of them on the beach running like hell with the plans in hand... That shot was so friggin cool. Reminded me of playing capture the flag as a kid, getting the flag and running like HELL from the other team...

No... just transmitted it, sat on the beach, and pretended to have feelings for each other til the sand wall hit them.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to love this movie.

But I also question what the hell is with all the TFA bashing...

Long run, TFA will have a stronger shelf life than this movie... just my prediction.;)

I guess I'm not seeing the TFA bashing that some people are. I still have the same issues I had last year, but I still maintain that it was a good addition to the SW universe. I just think R1 was even better.

I still reckon they should have cut the opening scene. I would have preferred to find out who Jyn was and why the rebels were so interested in finding her at the story progressed rather than showing it all up front.

I'm one of the people who prefer it to TFA despite it's flaws because of the whole starkiller base thing.

If they instead had to go to the Death Star and find Galen and escape with the plans, I think it would have been a lot more exciting. It was kind of odd to have the Death Star in this so much, but actually end up seeing so little of it, scene wise.

I guess I'm not seeing the TFA bashing that some people are. I still have the same issues I had last year, but I still maintain that it was a good addition to the SW universe. I just think R1 was even better.

Me too,...I love TFA,....& I'm glad we are moving in the right direction.....I'm still really happy that Disney bought the franchise

But I get more of that 77 feeling with R1

J

Yeah.... I got about 10 minutes into this video and had to stop. Do these guys not know any of the character histories? They want to talk about Jyn and her father not having any backstory, um it's call CATALYST, we're you too lazy to read it? Then they go on and on about Saw's line of "I can't run anymore" right before he gives up and dies. Do they not know his backstory either? That not only was he in the clone wars and lost his sister, but he pops up again in the novel Catalyst, and now in Rogue One, then at one point Mon Mothma makes the comment that Saw has gone off on his own and become somewhat of an extremist. So for me knowing all of that, his line of "I can't run anymore." And just giving up, it makes sense, he's been through a ton of **** and he's tired. I hate reviews like this that, just because you're a fanboy of the original trilogy, doesn't mean you know Star Wars. Star Wars has grown leaps and bounds since the OT, not just in movies, but in shows, comics, novels, etc and is sooooo much bigger than just the OT anymore. J.J. Abrams knew that with TFA, and Gareth Edwards knew that with Rogue One. This WAS a stand alone film, meaning that the story didn't focus on the Skywalker linage. Yes Vader was in it, but only briefly and in important ways. Yes this film has a lot of Easter Eggs in it, that's how they tie it in with the other films, but this is the first story that doesn't focus on a Skywalker, or finding a Skywalker. So if you're going to review a Star Wars film like this, I really hope you know more about Star Wars than just what the Original Trilogy had to offer or you're going to look pretty foolish and uninformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy pretty on point with how I feel...

http://scriptshadow.net/film-review-rogue-one/

AND he pointed out the one thing that was missing that I couldn't put my finger on... an expectation I had for the movie that didn't happen.

When the trailer hit with Jyn in what I thought was tie fighter gear, I figured they were IN the Death Star... that Jyn and them smuggled aboard... that she may escape ON a Tie Fighter, or they stole the one that appeared in the other trailer, got that pilots flight suit and flew THAT to the Death Star.

Nope.

And my favorite shots, of them on the beach running like hell with the plans in hand... That shot was so friggin cool. Reminded me of playing capture the flag as a kid, getting the flag and running like HELL from the other team...

No... just transmitted it, sat on the beach, and pretended to have feelings for each other til the sand wall hit them.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to love this movie.

But I also question what the hell is with all the TFA bashing...

Long run, TFA will have a stronger shelf life than this movie... just my prediction.;)

Dude, I couldnt agree more with you on this. Im just glad Im not the only one that felt this way. Seriously though, all over the internet, TFA is getting bashed constantly, its like the new hipster thing to do now or something...
NeoRutty that guy was pretty close on everything except Vader. While I agree his pun was kind of out of character, the ending was awesome. I wanted more of Vader. The reviewer doesnt know what makes Vader cool, not just cause he is stoic. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.... I got about 10 minutes into this video and had to stop. Do these guys not know any of the character histories? They want to talk about Jyn and her father not having any backstory, um it's call CATALYST, we're you too lazy to read it? Then they go on and on about Saw's line of "I can't run anymore" right before he gives up and dies. Do they not know his backstory either? That not only was he in the clone wars and lost his sister, but he pops up again in the novel Catalyst, and now in Rogue One, then at one point Mon Mothma makes the comment that Saw has gone off on his own and become somewhat of an extremist. So for me knowing all of that, his line of "I can't run anymore." And just giving up, it makes sense, he's been through a ton of **** and he's tired. I hate reviews like this that, just because you're a fanboy of the original trilogy, doesn't mean you know Star Wars. Star Wars has grown leaps and bounds since the OT, not just in movies, but in shows, comics, novels, etc and is sooooo much bigger than just the OT anymore. J.J. Abrams knew that with TFA, and Gareth Edwards knew that with Rogue One. This WAS a stand alone film, meaning that the story didn't focus on the Skywalker linage. Yes Vader was in it, but only briefly and in important ways. Yes this film has a lot of Easter Eggs in it, that's how they tie it in with the other films, but this is the first story that doesn't focus on a Skywalker, or finding a Skywalker. So if you're going to review a Star Wars film like this, I really hope you know more about Star Wars than just what the Original Trilogy had to offer or you're going to look pretty foolish and uninformed.

You do understand though that not everyone seeing this movie knows all the backstory you listed right? A flim as a medium isnt predicated on what other supplemental things that go with it. It should be self contained, especially if this is a one shot story. You shouldnt need to know anything else, or read any other types of books for THIS film to be watchable. Granted I didnt watch the video, but Im a Star Wars fan, and I didnt read CATALYST, I didnt know I had to read a book before I watched a movie, to fill in gaps that shouldnt be there in the first place. See: lazy writing if you have to rely on a book to get your point across in your film

I did not read Catalyst (mostly because I dislike Chuck Wendig’s writing, and it irks me that he’s been handed most of the books surrounding the new movies so far), and I didn’t feel that we needed any more backstory for Jyn and her parents.
Over the course of the movie, we got what we needed out of that:

• Galen was an Imperial officer.
  • Galen left/retired, likely at the urging of his wife.
  • Krennick blamed for the loss of a valuable asset (hence why he was so “pleased” to see Lyra alive).
If they’d tried to shoehorn in much more than they did, it would have bogged down the story.

You do understand though that not everyone seeing this movie knows all the backstory you listed right? A flim as a medium isnt predicated on what other supplemental things that go with it. It should be self contained, especially if this is a one shot story. You shouldnt need to know anything else, or read any other types of books for THIS film to be watchable. Granted I didnt watch the video, but Im a Star Wars fan, and I didnt read CATALYST, I didnt know I had to read a book before I watched a movie, to fill in gaps that shouldnt be there in the first place. See: lazy writing if you have to rely on a book to get your point across in your film

But see that's not entirely true, because for example TFA, when Rey finds Luke's lightsaber, that scene would have had no meaning for us if we had never see earlier films because 1) Up until that point of the movie we didn't see a lightsaber, let alone know what one was, and 2) Had no clue that that saber belonged to Luke and Anakin before him. So really, Star Wars is all about tying into the other films, shows, comics, and that's what makes it great, and that's why their cannon" is so important, so that it's the same everywhere. Just like Bail Organa's last lines in R1 "That he would reach out to the powerful friend he knew, well if we had not seen previous films we wouldn't have known he was talking about Obi Wan. Or when he said "I trust her with my life," we wouldn't have known he was talking about Leia. So reading, or watching other things in the Star Wars cannon only helps us see the bigger picture. And to answer your other question- No, reading Catalyst isn't required to be able to enjoy R1, but I knew more and understood more than my wife who didn't read the book.

Neither did I......I don't need & shouldnt need to read a book to understand a movie or watch a kids cartoon.

I just watched the movie & I understood the characters,....I don't know,....maybe because I'm a dad,....I felt more connection to Jyn than Rey......The hologram message & the goodbye on the platform were hearbreaking

Saw needed air from a respirator,....along with his cumbersome walk,....I don't think he'd be able to run & escape.......The RLM must have been out on a geg on their trip to the cinema

J

But see that's not entirely true, because for example TFA, when Rey finds Luke's lightsaber, that scene would have had no meaning for us if we had never see earlier films because 1) Up until that point of the movie we didn't see a lightsaber, let alone know what one was, and 2) Had no clue that that saber belonged to Luke and Anakin before him. So really, Star Wars is all about tying into the other films, shows, comics, and that's what makes it great, and that's why their cannon" is so important, so that it's the same everywhere. Just like Bail Organa's last lines in R1 "That he would reach out to the powerful friend he knew, well if we had not seen previous films we wouldn't have known he was talking about Obi Wan. Or when he said "I trust her with my life," we wouldn't have known he was talking about Leia. So reading, or watching other things in the Star Wars cannon only helps us see the bigger picture. And to answer your other question- No, reading Catalyst isn't required to be able to enjoy R1, but I knew more and understood more than my wife who didn't read the book.

Of course youre going to know what those objects are, its episode 7 of a franchise... Im talking about this films being a stand alone, being introduced to new characters etc. And Im with you on that, all the call backs and stuff are contained within the medium of film. This movie didnt have that, because it was supposed to be before 4, 5, and 6 but after the prequels. Hence, you reading the book, you probably liked the movie more than your wife, right? Thats what Im saying, there shoudlnt be a companion to the movie in order to enjoy it more.

Yeah Redlettermedia has made a point that they don't read the books and novels, and you SHOULDN'T to understand what's driving the plot of a movie.

I didn't even know there WAS a book called Catalyst, and I frequent this site...
@Snikt - yeah, I have a problem slighting the Vader appearance... as little sense as it would make to someone who only saw this movie and no other, I LOVED the Vader slaughter. Those Rebels were crapping their pants trying to get away... and not just get away, but still pass on the plans. Gave a lot of weight to the actual plans.

Though the discussion with Vader and Leia is now a little off...

"You weren't on any mercy mission this time. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know-"

"I can swear on a Jedi bible that there were not several transmissions beamed to this ship..."

"Give me a break with semantics... they were beamed to a ship that THIS ship was docked to before I cut up a bunch of dudes hot-potatoing a flash drive"

I haven't watched the Redletter review yet... will check it out tonight. But I'm guessing Mike won't like it. He likes fun Star Wars with stand out characters...

Last edited:
On the Saber in TFA...

Doesn't matter if that was your first Star Wars movie or not... The weight of the moment is still there because you're seeing it through Rey's eyes...

She doesn't know what it is, so it's not important that you do. It's a strange device... a Mcguffin, if you will, to move the plot forward.

She touches it and see's flashbacks that don't make sense to her, and it doesn't have to make sense to you...

Then we get told almost right after "It's a lightsaber" "It's calling to Rey" "It belonged to Luke" "It's a weapon" "Kylo wants it"

All this info is given... we don't need to know anything else about it... it's Excalibur... it's rose bud... it's the glowing briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

If you're a life long Star Wars fan, you would know the significance and it's a great bonus.... if you're not, it doesn't matter AT ALL.

lLiteraaly every person that came into contact with information about the plans or the plans themselves dies in the film. It a relay race where each handoff results in the death of the person doing the handing!

Without scrolling 12 pages, has any mention of the original ANH Lucas cut footage being used? There were alternate angles and footage of Tarkin on the Death Star. After Lucas' first cut of the film, if memory serves, was deemed not acceptable a few others were brought in to recut ANH to what we know. Ive seen stills and snips of alternate angles but am not certain if anyone has ever seen that cut since day one.

Without scrolling 12 pages, has any mention of the original ANH Lucas cut footage being used? There were alternate angles and footage of Tarkin on the Death Star. After Lucas' first cut of the film, if memory serves, was deemed not acceptable a few others were brought in to recut ANH to what we know. Ive seen stills and snips of alternate angles but am not certain if anyone has ever seen that cut since day one.

I don't think any ANH Tarkin footage was re-purposed for R1 like they did for Red and Blue Leaders.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back