Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Any advice for filling the nose section here? Looking at the ANOVOS pics, it looks like there's some chrome that goes behind the faceplates, but idk how to recreate that.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161010/49f60a6a5248a5ad9ae7037816ba331b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're trying to do chrome, I'd suggest filling it with milliput and then redoing all the chrome so it matches. I'm actually working on the same part of my helmet right now and I'm debating whether I'll do it in chrome or just black.

I looked at some of Richard Campbells helmets and he doesn't really fill it at all. It's such a hidden part, you really have to look to see it, I might just fill it with black Milliput and be done with it.

Any advice for filling the nose section here? Looking at the ANOVOS pics, it looks like there's some chrome that goes behind the faceplates, but idk how to recreate that.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161010/49f60a6a5248a5ad9ae7037816ba331b.jpg

A good trick if you don't want to re paint the entire chrome parts is after you fill the nose area use some aluminum tape and tape over the fille parts to match the chromed parts. Then give it a good weathering to bend it all in, that's what I did.

A good trick if you don't want to re paint the entire chrome parts is after you fill the nose area use some aluminum tape and tape over the fille parts to match the chromed parts. Then give it a good weathering to bend it all in, that's what I did.

That's a great hint! Thanks buddy!

Just picked up a Disney mask for €15 on local marketplace-site, let's see if I can convert the front of my BS without much hassle. First I need to sand my helmet though, it will probably be a pain in the a** because I have been quite generous applying the Bondo :unsure

Just picked up a Disney mask for €15 on local marketplace-site, let's see if I can convert the front of my BS without much hassle. First I need to sand my helmet though, it will probably be a pain in the a** because I have been quite generous applying the Bondo :unsure

Even if you didn't apply bondo, sanding the helmet would be a pain in the a**. The plastic it's made of is nearly impossible to sand...it just 'fuzzes' up.

yeah, I see why people put an extra coat of resin on it. I'm not sure, but maybe the use of the structured spray paint will smooth it out without resin....

Sands pefectly fine with an orbital sander.

Even with an orbital sander it fuzzed up for me. Easier than by hand, sure, but still troublesome. Nonetheless, I was able to smooth it out with plenty of elbow grease :)

Even with an orbital sander it fuzzed up for me. Easier than by hand, sure, but still troublesome. Nonetheless, I was able to smooth it out with plenty of elbow grease :)

It all depends on the grit you use sanding it, using a 60 or 80 grit on it by hand or using an orb sander will fuzz up the plastic. Try using 60 or 80 grit first to take out the factory texture, then go over it with 150 or 180 grit to smooth it out.

A trick I used to give it the stone/rough texture is to sprinkle some good old fashioned table salt on the first layer of paint while its still wet. This gives the helmet texture without making it too uniform like you get from spray on stone. The leftover fuzz you missed during sanding blends in well after this step and creates another layer of texture.

Yup 150 and pressure worked perfectly for me. Didn't need anything other than primer after that (save for the gaps). Oh and teaser...
20161202_112653.jpg20161202_112614.jpg

I made the dive into Kylo for halloween and want to upgrade it to rejoin the 501st (my officer uniform seems to have shrunk over the years, totally the suit, not me expanding). This thread is full of great info, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks, everyone!

Has anyone tried using abs paste (acetone+scrap abs)to fill seams instead of plastic welding?
Tried it with the scraps on my first attempt, before I tried welding it together. Also tried abs cement, none of which worked. You can finish the seams in a day, its easy once you get started.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yup 150 and pressure worked perfectly for me. Didn't need anything other than primer after that (save for the gaps). Oh and teaser...
View attachment 687672View attachment 687673

Where's the main event??

- - - Updated - - -

Tried it with the scraps on my first attempt, before I tried welding it together. Also tried abs cement, none of which worked. You can finish the seams in a day, its easy once you get started.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Did you just weld it by melting the seems with a soldering gun?

Punny. Haven't dedicated a lot of time to it since post. Some progress has been made though. Dont mind the seams, they will disappear and its temporarily assembled with tape so some parts aren't aligned properly.

View attachment 690556View attachment 690559View attachment 690561
What makes up the front of your build?

Ha... this looks great, I'm just wondering if this is mostly custom add on's... or is this just heavily modded parts from the other helmet?

How much is scratch built?

What makes up the front of your build?

Ha... this looks great, I'm just wondering if this is mostly custom add on's... or is this just heavily modded parts from the other helmet?

How much is scratch built?

All the shiney stuff is just aluminum sheet metal and white stuff is sintra. The two mouth pieces are both scratch built using layered aluminum sheet with some sintra and apoxie sculpt (needs more scultp). Face pattern is more aluminum sheet layered over what used to be the chromed part of BS helmet sanded down, filled and shaped (basically just a backplate/dimensional guide).

All the shiney stuff is just aluminum sheet metal and white stuff is sintra. The two mouth pieces are both scratch built using layered aluminum sheet with some sintra and apoxie sculpt (needs more scultp). Face pattern is more aluminum sheet layered over what used to be the chromed part of BS helmet sanded down, filled and shaped (basically just a backplate/dimensional guide).

That's awesome... Did you use something fancy to cut the aluminum? I've thought of re-building the mouth piece myself, but wasn't sure what to do it out of. That looks great, but my tools are minimal.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back