Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't even read the magazine. I flick through it, Mark any pages that might have good reference pics with post it notes and go straight to the instructions

Maybe it's just me, but I don't even read the magazine. I flick through it, Mark any pages that might have good reference pics with post it notes and go straight to the instructions

Nah it's not just you, I don't read the magazine either. I did read it when they had the articles on the original trilogy ships but other than that, not much interested me. I did suggest to DeAgo that they include articles on the ILM model shop and interviews with the actual model makes. I would have found that really interesting! Sadly we have only had some side notes in small boxes with one or two short paragraphs.

Eaglemoss, another part work publisher in the UK have been running the Star Trek Starships Collection (A series of die cast models) at the same time as DeAgo have been running the Falcon, and each issue has an in depth look over a number of pages at the art design and model build (Either as a practical or digital model, or for some, both!) process of the original model replicated for that issue. In my opinion this is much better than any of DeAgo's efforts in the falcon magazine.

I'll be getting my 20th shipment in October. I'm at issue 76. After my October shipment, 5 more shipments to go. 20 issues left in my subscription. I haven't started building it yet, but I'm going to miss getting these monthly shipments once it's over. I bought the binders for all my issues, but I may end up having them bound into several volumes after building the kit.

OMG. I just realized that I'm nearing the end of the build. Now what am I supposed to do? :lol
I'm a bit surprised that Deagostini hasn't released another SS model kit. I've been pretty satisfied with this one.
In tall ship models, they do have the Victory. Perhaps I'll change gears and get that.

TazMan2000

OMG. I just realized that I'm nearing the end of the build. Now what am I supposed to do? :lol
I'm a bit surprised that Deagostini hasn't released another SS model kit. I've been pretty satisfied with this one.
In tall ship models, they do have the Victory. Perhaps I'll change gears and get that.

TazMan2000

Lol. There just something about getting boxes of goodies in the mail. It's like Christmas when I get another shipment. I've been eyeing the Samurai warrior armor kit. I really like it and I might just get that kit. The robot kit is pretty neat as well. I just wish either bandai or deagostini would produce a ISD. Bandai has one in the works but there's no telling if they will release it or not. I know how overly critical we get sometimes, but this is a really nice kit. This is the closet we've ever come to having a mass produced studio scale kit. Overall I think they did a really good job. I'm so happy I bought this kit. Now where's that ISD? I have my CC in hand! :D

Nah it's not just you, I don't read the magazine either. I did read it when they had the articles on the original trilogy ships but other than that, not much interested me. I did suggest to DeAgo that they include articles on the ILM model shop and interviews with the actual model makes. I would have found that really interesting! Sadly we have only had some side notes in small boxes with one or two short paragraphs.

Eaglemoss, another part work publisher in the UK have been running the Star Trek Starships Collection (A series of die cast models) at the same time as DeAgo have been running the Falcon, and each issue has an in depth look over a number of pages at the art design and model build (Either as a practical or digital model, or for some, both!) process of the original model replicated for that issue. In my opinion this is much better than any of DeAgo's efforts in the falcon magazine.

Phew! So glad I'm.not alone.
Not a Trekkie but that Eagkemoss mag sounds like a very good read and much more interesting

TazMan2000

Lol. There just something about getting boxes of goodies in the mail. It's like Christmas when I get another shipment. I've been eyeing the Samurai warrior armor kit. I really like it and I might just get that kit. The robot kit is pretty neat as well. I just wish either bandai or deagostini would produce a ISD. Bandai has one in the works but there's no telling if they will release it or not. I know how overly critical we get sometimes, but this is a really nice kit. This is the closet we've ever come to having a mass produced studio scale kit. Overall I think they did a really good job. I'm so happy I bought this kit. Now where's that ISD? I have my CC in hand! :D

Supposedly the Falcon has been by far the most successful kit ever released by DeAgostini, so as long as they continue to have the licence from the mouse I think it is a certainty that we will see another large scale ship kit from them in the future. They sent out a questionnaire to subscribers to gauge the interest for various different ships, who knows what they will go for?!

I believe that they are going ahead with the 1/2 scale R2D2 project production run however, so we may have a bit of waiting in the meantime!

Supposedly the Falcon has been by far the most successful kit ever released by DeAgostini, so as long as they continue to have the licence from the mouse I think it is a certainty that we will see another large scale ship kit from them in the future. They sent out a questionnaire to subscribers to gauge the interest for various different ships, who knows what they will go for?!

I believe that they are going ahead with the 1/2 scale R2D2 project production run however, so we may have a bit of waiting in the meantime!

yes I did here about r2d2. I would pick up a subscription for that kit. I'm just getting so impatient for a good ISD kit. I've been waiting for years! ISD is my favorite capital ship.

Working on my Falcon tonight I noticed another error now that the mandibles are attached permanently to the bottom frame - the two greeblies on the top of the mandible which in the pictures are fitted in the holes provided, appear to be too far forward compared to the actual "32 Falcon. There have also been no pipes like you can see on the picture of the original supplied yet. (3rd picture is original model from Maths' website)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Mandible placement seems off a bit. The portion that sticks out should fit into the notch and then the pipes and engine block would line up correctly.

Last edited:
Mandible placement seems off a bit. The portion that sticks out should fit into the notch and then the pipes and engine block would line up correctly.
I thought the same, but if he's attached the mandibles they only attach in one location. Unless he's not lining up the top correctly.

I'd have to look at the attachment to be sure but it definitely looks like the mandibles are attached too far forward. The piece on the "top of the transmission" should be in the notch of the hull plating and the piping should pretty much all attach to it (butt up against) and the other two pipes running out to the front should move back by almost exactly the same amount. I'd definitely NOT attach it solid where it is in that picture.

Jedi Dade

I thought the same, but if he's attached the mandibles they only attach in one location. Unless he's not lining up the top correctly.

I can assure you that I have the top correctly positioned. With the side wall frames and internal frames attached it is impossible to position it incorrectly.

However, take a good look look at the pictures - I think that the mandible structures themselves are fine, they are not screwed up. It is only the positioning of the greeblies that is incorrect, as far as I can see. The two pipes leading to the circular pit on the mandible terminate in the wrong place on the hull too. They should end at a notch in the top hull plating. You can see this clearly in Maths's picture of the original that I posted. I am going to cut off the greeblies tonight when I have time and re position them in the correct place. I will take a picture when I'm done.

I managed to get 5 minutes of free time this morning, so I repositioned the pipes and the greeblie.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Definitely looks better to me, you can see the holes where the pins fitted originally. To my eye, the greeblie looks undersized compared to the original, so I will see what I can do to fix this too...

Why are the parts we are getting smaller than the actual parts like the Porsche transmission made by Deagostini is smaller than the original by a lot.
Chris

I've noticed several places where 'pipes' don't reach or 'connect' at one end or the other.

I've considered trying to replace them with brass, but how do you make those bends?

I'm aware of real world pipe benders, but how do you do them at this scale?

I also notice that forward of this same area that the pipe detail that comes up the side and over the top is missing.

I was just looking at photos of the prototype and it's also missing from there.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back