Space Giants Whistle

Rickmeister

Hi, The only thread I could find on here about this is over 5 years old and it just kind of ended with no outcome, I can't even see the pics on the thread that are posted for some reason, Can anyone give me some info on what the outcome was for this whistle, It appeared that one was made and was going to be cast for some resin replicas. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Rick

Ok, A big thanks goes out to forum member Teddz . Not only has he helped me in obtaining one of the only props I've ever wanted, but he has helped me tremendously with numerous questions about mold making and casting. I've been searching for years for one of these whistles and think I've only come across one once in 20 years of looking. Here is a pic he sent me of the body of the whistle so far. Whistle Body.jpg

It's a pleasure for me to help out Rick...

Here's some of the process to get the aluminum billet into shape...

Start with the billet on the lathe..
28213734375_3e8580edf7_z.jpg

since the lathe isn't CNC yet, I machined down steps to within a mm of where it needed to be. I didn't have any Dychem so I used a blue magic marker to see my scribe lines.
28109924982_abc9fe31b2_z.jpg

All steps are done and it's looking nothing like a rocket ship body.
28180012036_269e52619e_z.jpg

I could have just machined angle after angle after angle to get me close to where I wanted instead of the steps, but changing the angle on this lathe is such a PITA that using the steps and file method were much easier and faster.
28136301411_21b042b40b_z.jpg

Once the file work was where I needed it, various grits of sand paper were used to remove the gouges left by the file. Started with 100, then 180, then 280 and finally 400.
28213722305_ff195c30ed_z.jpg
27933201540_55266726f3_z.jpg

and voila, a rocket ship body for a billet aluminum Space Giants whistle.
27933197830_dba24ffc0d_z.jpg

Nice work! We machined one a few years ago...once was enough. Wish I could find the pics.

-Rylo

Nice work! We machined one a few years ago...once was enough. Wish I could find the pics.

-Rylo

I made a second one because I'm a glutton for punishment. Still have to attach the fins and paint it... when I have some time.

Last edited:
This thing is a nightmare to paint! Lol . Had it done and suffered a major setback due to some horrible paint. I'll post pics once it's done again

Ahhh paint issues... just when you think it's done, nope, the paint decides you need to start over again. At least you didn't have to take it down to the primer again. :)

It would have been much easier if I still had my airbrush and stuff. But trying to use spray cans and brushes just made it a lot of work. I didn't have to take it back to primer, but in hindsight wish I had. From all the handling, it looks more like a screen used prop than something I just painted lol.

been a while, but figured I would post my Space Giants whistle. This was made around the same time I made the one for Rick, also billet aluminum, but finalized long after his was done. With a difference from his, as this one has the holes for the chain as the original had it on 2 of the fins. I had to strip back the paint and fix some of the issues it had and give it a repaint. Also gave it a thicker-than-original gold chain. You could do some damage with this thing as it has some good weight to it.

39238868271_156395630d_z.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back