Star Wars: questions you've always wanted answers for

Can't tell if joking.

On the off chance you are not:

Very last time we see Yoda in ESB: Ben: " that boy (Luke) is our last hope.". Yoda: "no. There is another."

Very next time we see Yoda (ROTJ)) (to Luke): "You must face Vader."

So Ben and Yoda's master plan was to spend one movie the training their hope so it could go off and kill their other hope in the next movie?

Luke ends up facing the Emperor. When it turns out he can't handle him, who's there to help? His father. Vader. Who comes to his rescue and ends up destroying the Emperor. Luke, their last hope, can't do it. Thankfully, there is another. And who put them together? Yoda and Ben.

Speaking of Mandalore...
The only way we know that Boba Fett was possibly Mandalorian came from the card-back of the action figure,
which stated "Boba Fett wears Mandalorian armor". (and I'm fairly certain it said "Mandalorian COMMANDO armor")
We never knew whether Fett was Mandalorian or not, and the card-back seemed to insinuate that he'd stolen the armor.
Now, all of a sudden, every frikkin' Mandalorian in the galaxy wears Boba Fett armor.
Does everybody on Earth wear samurai armor? Or 16th century Toledo armor?
NO! Because there's a THOUSAND cultures spanning four thousand YEARS on this planet.
Is the entire planet of Mandalore comprised of a single culture?

That's why the entirety of the EU is nothing more than pandering fan-fiction in my eyes,
and why every STAR WARS movie since "Empire Strikes Back" is condescending fan-fiction.

Am I the only person left in the world with an imagination?
...who can imagine a GALAXY where 2 people can meet who haven't met before or aren't related?
GAH!! I hate the prequels and the EU...

The ESB sketchbook published by Joe Johnston and Nilo Rodis in June of 1980 (a couple weeks after the movie opened) is the first real-world appearance I've been able to find of the word "Mandalore" (admittedly I don't have the ESB presskit). The novel and storybook and comic adaptation don't say anything more than "bounty hunter" or "armored spacesuit". The book I referred to has a chapter on Boba Fett, and the frontpiece describes how the costume was originally conceived as a squad of elite supercommandos from the Mandalore system that the Empire used for spec-ops, and it was later revised to a single character. The action figure card didn't say anything -- card-back blurbs are a product of the Star Wars Renaissance in the '90s.

I'm not sure how the terms "Mandalorian" and "supercommando" worked their way into the common lexicon. Not sure if it was Marvel Star Wars (Vol. 1) #68, street date in February of 1983 -- wherein Leia goes to Mandalore looking for Fett and finds Fenn Shysa instead, who describes his history with Boba and the other supercommando Mandalorian Protectors (all of whom wore close variations on the ESB Boba costume, being the uniform of the Protectors). That would definitely have had an impact, though. And since the armor is so recognized by everyone as Mandalorian armor, it implies both that no one else in the modern era uses it, and that enough of them wear armor that looks similar enough to that to be immediately recognizable. So in that respect, I don't have a problem with it. I also will point out that in the EU -- contrary to casual perception I hear from people I run across -- they don't live in the armor. They have other clothes in their wardrobes. *heh* The armor is just what they wear into battle (or, in the case of Boba Fett, to intimidate clients and hide his all-too-familiar face).

Your association to medieval samurai armor is an apt one -- just expand the scale to sector-wide. They have their everyday clothes, they work the fields and foundries, they hone their skills and teach their children... and they keep the battle armor clean and ready for when it needs to be brought out and used.

--Jonah

...and make Obi-wan seem surprisingly dense since he should've known the "other" was Leia, given his role in hiding the Skywalker twins.
The argument could be made that Obi-Ben was simply thinking Leia wouldn't abandon her lifestyle as a Princess to become a Jedi. Yeah, it's a weak argument, but Obi-Ben has been my favorite character since the first time I saw Star Wars so I'm grasping at straws trying to find a way to maintain his dignity. :D

Yes, in the shooting script, Fett is simply described as "a man in a weapon-covered armored space suit". His costume was simply the production making use of something already designed and built for the abandoned Shock Trooper idea. I'm not sure how "Mandalorian" came into it.

It's really a shame that the prequel troopers weren't simply in white Fett armor as originally designed. It would make a lot more sense that a bounty hunter had acquired old Republic armor and painted it up (ala Dengar).

Likewise, the battle droids should have all been IG-88s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Treadwell... Actually, it's a lot more fun than that -- if you reference the EU. In the ~3,000BBY era of the Sith War, Mandalorian Crusaders, and all the KOTOR/TOR stuff, the Old Republic trooper armor is what was streamlined and advanced to make the clone army's armor -- white, T-visor, etc. T-visors were a fashion trend at the time. In the Old Republic MMO, Mandalorians wear a variety of armors -- one of the most notorious of them didn't have a T-visor at all. One of the bounty hunter armor/helmet options has a very evocative look:

futuristic%20weapons%20armor%20artwork%20bounty%20hunter%20star%20wars%20the%20old%20republic%20nar%20shaada%201920x1080%20w_www.wall321.com_98.jpg

I like the notion that, somewhere over the next three thousand years of zero data, Mandalorians wearing this armor basically made it their own -- tweaked it and upgraded it and eventually ended up with the iconic outfit we know from the movies. Thus, the clone troopers' armor wasn't inspired by Jango's Mandalorian armor, but they both have their roots in the same era long before.

--Jonah

How come each planet we see seems to have exactly one climate zone?

Hoth and Rhen Var? Arctic
Tattooine and Geonosis? Desert
Endor, Kashyyyk, Yavin IV ? (Rain-)Forest
Mustafar? Volcanic

the list goes on.
Don't these planets have climate zones?

I always just equated going to the Academy as going off to college. Just because you go to college does not mean you join the army.

How come each planet we see seems to have exactly one climate zone?

Hoth and Rhen Var? Arctic
Tattooine and Geonosis? Desert
Endor, Kashyyyk, Yavin IV ? (Rain-)Forest
Mustafar? Volcanic

the list goes on.
Don't these planets have climate zones?

Because Flash Gordon.

Except we see from our space probes that a lot of worlds do only have one prevailing geostructure. Io? Volcanic. Mars? Desert. Europa? Ice field (side note: if I were re-writing Space Battleship Yamato, I'd have Mamoru's ship crash there instead of Titan. 1) It's a better fit, given what we now know about them, and 2) I appreciate the symmetry of the ship name to the place -- Yukikaze = "wind-blown snow" or snowstorm). Earth, so far, is the odd one out with our massively varying climate and surface features.

For all we know that was the temperate part of Hoth, and the poles were worse. Tatooine has everything from rolling dunes to rocky badlands to desolate hardpan, and presumably temperature zones (if I remember right, it looked like the pod was aiming for about 45 degrees North latitude -- I hate to think what the equator is like). And we know from the fossil record that there have been periods in this planet's past when it had a lot more trees and could justly be described as a jungle or forest planet...

I can also attribute it to "tourism blurbs", if you will. When you have so many planets and only a limited amount of concern for most of them, one will sum up their dominant or best-known feature when describing them to someone else. Kinda like how England is more than Big Ben and France is more than the Eiffel Tower, baguettes, and wine. But those are the prevalent images used to promote those countries. I know from watching a decent amount of non-American television that America is broadly perceived elsewhere as, basically, Texas. Which is not the case, and I hope they know it.

--Jonah

Yes, in the shooting script, Fett is simply described as "a man in a weapon-covered armored space suit". His costume was simply the production making use of something already designed and built for the abandoned Shock Trooper idea. I'm not sure how "Mandalorian" came into it.

It's really a shame that the prequel troopers weren't simply in white Fett armor as originally designed. It would make a lot more sense that a bounty hunter had acquired old Republic armor and painted it up (ala Dengar).

Likewise, the battle droids should have all been IG-88s.

I don't know about the storm trooper/fett armor connection. that would also have been seen as tying it in to something previously that was random.

Personally, I have no problem with all mando warriors looking like Fett. if the warriors where the mando army at one point, the costume may have become a tradition, and that seems to be something they'd hold dear. having the storm troopers look exactly like fett would have left little mystery as to where they came from.

as for IG 88 -, they very well could be a KIND of battle droid. in this case, assassins. we've seen all different types of droids, so why should the main battle droids look like Ig88?

I always just equated going to the Academy as going off to college. Just because you go to college does not mean you join the army.

If I remember correctly, the bonus footage of ANH show's Luke talking to Biggs about joining the academy. And they are referring to the Imperial academy. But Biggs breaks the news to Luke that he's starting to sway the other direction and wants to join the rebel alliance.

starting at 3:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00IkrWvur4

Last edited:
The problem with all Mandalorians wearing the exact same kind of armor just makes no sense unless they're all Mandos are part of a planet or at least nationwide military force. Just take a look at European knights and Samurai, while all of their armor was of the same type (plate and lamellar) no two ever looked the same, not to the same degree that we see most Mando armor which is typically not much more than re-colored Fett armor. Even if the armor covering the body is mostly the same historical armor from warrior classes at least varied considerably in helmet design but more often than not there was a fair amount of personalization to armor with it becoming more elaborate the wealthier and higher ranking the wearer is. In my mind, having all Mandos wearing Fett armor, but in different colors, would be little different than them wearing Stormtrooper armor, mass produced, munitions grade armor for the common soldier, not the armor of an elite warrior class.

I don't know about the storm trooper/fett armor connection. that would also have been seen as tying it in to something previously that was random.

Personally, I have no problem with all mando warriors looking like Fett. if the warriors where the mando army at one point, the costume may have become a tradition, and that seems to be something they'd hold dear. having the storm troopers look exactly like fett would have left little mystery as to where they came from.

as for IG 88 -, they very well could be a KIND of battle droid. in this case, assassins. we've seen all different types of droids, so why should the main battle droids look like Ig88?

Well, the "Supertroopers" were before the character of Boba existed, so no conflict. But. That just would have been the armor worn by these elite commandos from Mandalore that the Empire used for the hard work. Not "Stormtrooper" armor. They would have been part of the Stormtrooper Corps/Imperial military, yes, but not Stormtroopers. Given how things have evolved, I actually hope we see some white-armored Mandalorians like that at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore in Rebels, being trained to be exactly this kind of Imperial commando. I can definitely see them keeping the styling, even if it's made out of the same stuff as Stormtrooper armor (or non-black-coated but better Shadow Trooper armor).

As for droids, there's been stuff going all the way back that the droids made by various species often look like those species, at least vestigially. So the BT-1 Battle Droids look a bit like Geonosians, while the various IG droids (as the name implies, made by the InterGalactic Banking Clan) have the long, narrow heads of the Muuns. And so forth. The original description for IG-88 was "a battered chrome war droid". The Clone Wars showed us that the Separatists used a bunch of droids for the conflict, all suited to particular use. So I see no problem there.

If I remember correctly, the bonus footage of ANH show's Luke talking to Biggs about joining the academy. And they are referring to the Imperial academy. But Biggs breaks the news to Luke that he's starting to sway the other direction and wants to join the rebel alliance.

From the previous page...

I'm annoyed at the EU writers/artists who put in the whole notion that it was an Imperial Academy. Biggs flying TIE Fighters and Tank being an Imperial officer in the comics... We've had the script since the late '70s. The novelization, comic adaptation, and storybook all have Luke's reunion with Biggs -- it was only cut back out of the film pretty late before release. [...] That's also not any kind of Imperial uniform Biggs is sporting in Anchorhead. My take for a couple decades has been that it's an Outer Rim merchantmarine academy. Biggs' main point when talking to Luke is that he's been posted to a freighter, the Empire is nationalizing trade in the core systems, and it's only a matter of time before it turns its attention to the Rim. Sounds merchantmarine-y to me...

[Edited to add...]

The problem with all Mandalorians wearing the exact same kind of armor just makes no sense unless they're all Mandos are part of a planet or at least nationwide military force. Just take a look at European knights and Samurai, while all of their armor was of the same type (plate and lamellar) no two ever looked the same, not to the same degree that we see most Mando armor which is typically not much more than re-colored Fett armor. Even if the armor covering the body is mostly the same historical armor from warrior classes at least varied considerably in helmet design but more often than not there was a fair amount of personalization to armor with it becoming more elaborate the wealthier and higher ranking the wearer is. In my mind, having all Mandos wearing Fett armor, but in different colors, would be little different than them wearing Stormtrooper armor, mass produced, munitions grade armor for the common soldier, not the armor of an elite warrior class.

Good points. Being involved in the Mandalorian Mercs, I've actually studied the minutiæ that will be less obvious to the casual viewer. I've talked to Tom Hodges, for instance, who's done a lot of the latter EU Mando art (several of which were used by Entertainment Earth to make their Mando reworks in their two "Elite Forces of the Republic" sets). I can see commonality of design, and can give informed conjecture as to why this is this way and that is that way. I can point to the almost universal elongated hexagon in the center of the chest that's also shown up as an architectural and textile motif among the New Mandalorians, so it's a symbol of cultural significance. I can point to non-human Mandalorians with the necessarily-different helmets (there's a Togruta one that is just awesome)...

So like an expert on medieval Japanese armor can point to a bunch of suits made during the same time period in the same region and point to the common design elements as well as the individual variation, I can, too. As I said previous, in the old EU, Tobbi Dala referred to the ESB Boba costume (or rather, the almost-identical version of it he was wearing) as the uniform of a Mandalorian Protector. But even then he, Boba, and Fenn had their own individual accessories, weapons loadouts, and helmet/chest markings. Then as things diverge further, I can get into things like armor coverage, helmet accessories, rocketpack versus no, loose versus fitted flight suit, double sleeve on that or no, flak vest or the plates mounted directly to the flight suit, and so on and so on. I can instantly see the differences between this:

bobafettx.jpg

...these:

Mandalorian_wedding.jpg

...this:

Montross_-_02.jpg

...and this:

Rageon_Vart.jpg

...as well as the common elements that mark them all as coming from the same culture and time period.

--Jonah

Last edited:
I always thought Boba's armor was a military suit of some sort,what with the markings on it,but I can also see all the other guys that have come after as being different in various ways/colors/parts/genders et cetera.

Some parts are consistent,like the helmet for the most part other parts vary from individual to individual and overall a lot of the planets in SW are single race dominated so I could see the armor being a military thing that became standardized over time with every person "customizing" it to suit their tastes.

One of the old background stories was that Fett scavenged the armor from old battlefields where the "Mandalorian's" had fought and lost to the Jedi (pre Clone Wars)
That is why there are an assortment of colors and accessories that change over the course of the films.

Before ESB came out it was rumored that Fett was a clone of Han or an ex-girlfriend in disguise that was after him.

Last edited:
Speaking of Mandalore...
Now, all of a sudden, every frikkin' Mandalorian in the galaxy wears Boba Fett armor.
Does everybody on Earth wear samurai armor? Or 16th century Toledo armor?
NO! Because there's a THOUSAND cultures spanning four thousand YEARS on this planet.
Is the entire planet of Mandalore comprised of a single culture?

By that logic you can't have all Stormtroopers in the Empire wearing Stormtrooper armor. My assumption was that only warriors wore Mandalorian armor, even though some of the EU said everyone wears it, which would be stupid. I don't think some Mandalorian housewife is doing chores in her armor.

It's not the same armor though. They supposedly had completely customized armor depending on the individual. They also would, according to old EU, wear parts of armor from their relatives or loved ones.

I don't get all the hate for the EU Mandalorians because Fett becomes way more of a bad*ss if he was part of such a feared group of warriors. Being some guy who got lucky and found a set of armor is like someone dressing up as a Navy SEAL. It's not that impressive.

If I remember correctly, the bonus footage of ANH show's Luke talking to Biggs about joining the academy. And they are referring to the Imperial academy.
No, they never say it is Imperial, that is your assumption. Again, Biggs says he isn't going to let them "draft" him. Why would he be in danger of being drafted when he's in the service already? Because he isn't. He's working on a private ship.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but if means that you don't know how the costume originated: early in the planning stages of ESB, there was to be an elite corps of Imperial troopers called "Shock Troopers", and a costume was designed and made for them (see attachment). The idea was dropped, and they had this costume lying around, so they gave it to the bounty hunter.

Attachments

• 2013-06-30-originalbobafett2.jpg
    2013-06-30-originalbobafett2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 78
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back