Adam Savage Toolbox Box 1 finished, Not Out Of Paper, Yet

Here's an update on this project. Tools are being fit into box 1 with the first caddy about 2/3rds done. I decided to punch out the second box and that's also about 2/3rds done. It's much easier building something the second time. I've uploaded some new pics to my flikr account.:
Adam Savage Toolbox - a set on Flickr
I think I will us that as my photo dump from now on. This has been a fun challenge on several levels.

I could not figure out what Adam used as a sorter to keep his tools upright and I couldn't find a picture that really showed it. Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Adam Savage Toolbox Started, Not Out Of Paper, Yet

- - - Updated - - -

If you think of it as prop, it's too pricy. If you think of it as a tool, the $200 plus the time is well spent. I was restructured at my former company at the end of last year and have caught the Obama economy disease(unemployment), so I have time right now and I am taking advantage of that. One, I'm using Solidworks and building something I can use in my portfolio, which because the circumstances of my jobs, I don't have anything show off for myself. Two, I'm not letting myself get rusty, which is why I bought Solidworks, which is a very expensive tool. Three I'm rearranging my tools, something I have come to realize is direly needed since that is one of the things holding me back. rearranging my tools and making a portable workspace for when I need to do prototype work gives me the ability to not have to dig every time I want to do some little project. This will allow me to be more productive in what I want to do. I could have scrounged and used my network to fin the scrap to build the box, but I wanted to use easily available sources so that I could build something that anybody could build.

I bought some aluminium baking trays late last year, they seem pretty much perfect. But here we are in April and they're still in the garage waiting for me to find some way of cutting them neatly.

Re: Adam Savage Toolbox Started, Not Out Of Paper, Yet

I bought some aluminium baking trays late last year, they seem pretty much perfect. But here we are in April and they're still in the garage waiting for me to find some way of cutting them neatly.

Band saw off the edges and use shears/snips on the rest. It can be hammered or pressed flat if you get torquing from the snips. Or even use a small handsaw - but be ready to replace blade after blade. I've not worked with baking sheet aluminum so I do not know it's hardness, but aluminum can really gunk-up cutting tools.

I could not figure out what Adam used as a sorter to keep his tools upright and I couldn't find a picture that really showed it. Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sent Adam a PM a while back about that and he said that he cut plexi up on his table saw and glued it together. I did the same sort of thing for he base of my caddies but use laid flat pieces because it was easier to make slots with drills and a jigsaw. I'm working on the second part video showing that, but I have so much footage that the editing is painful.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back