MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Hi guys!

I'm the one who made the image/guide that was posted on the mattycollector forums (and now here).
I just wanted to write a couple of things. First, I want to thank everyone who took a look at my image and made comments about it.
Second, I want to clarify a couple of things. It has been said that I got some errors on the guide because I just compared some things with the stunt board and not the hero board (the Hover and Board words' spacing, for example), but I have a reason for it.

Bob Gale showed Mattel people a couple of hoverboards. One of them was a stunt board for long shots. No velcro, less detail, and even no bottom part with the magnets and all of that. The other board may be a stunt-type board, but it was used for close shots. It's much more detailed, with velcro on the green and red/pink stripes, the bottom part was complete, etc.

In my opinion THAT is the hoverboard that must be "valid" for Mattel. They may or may not know about the existence of the hero board and its differences with the stunt board. But Bob Gale show them a very detailed original hoverboard (stunt type), and that is what should have been the reference for Mattel. Bob Gale showed them that hoverboard and Marttel people measure it and took notes about how it is made (with velcro, the battery pack, the spacings, etc)

So, in my opinion, the hoverboard that must be made is the hoverboard like the one Bob Gale showed them. So, the spacings in the letters should be there, the honeycomb pattern must be scaled down, the velcro applied, etc), even if the hero board was different. Mattel shouldn't even know about those boards.

What I can't understand is how they screwed up things that were properly done on the prototype version, it was the same on the originals, and after seeing the originals, Mattel changed it, like the holes in the battery pack. It has no explanation to change it if it was ok on their prototype.

Well, I won't put my hopes on Mattel delaying the product to fix it. I really think that the sdcc version under the display was the final model (yes, even with the non-holographic sticker that they promised on the video) and all of this we've done is useless, but.... Hope is the last thing to lose.

Thanks for reading!

Here are more obvious magnet and bracket inaccuracies. What really upsets and frustrates me the most is the fact they HAD the original magnet molds. How hard is it to take measurements? Their mockup looks like they just looked at the pictures once and and just went to town...

6aKNQ.jpg

2kN5o.jpg

ZrD9U.jpg

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible for someone to make the lenticular of the hero board a little bit of a darker purple? And also the 4 pink stripes need to be darker. I want this to make a better hoverboard than the one I have right now. Right now my hoverboard is of the stunt board.

Like this:
BMonO.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
... Would it be possible for someone to make the lenticular of the hero board a little bit of a darker purple? And also the 4 pink stripes need to be darker. ...

I think you make the mistake of comparing the colors with screen shots of the Hoverboard. That's never a good solution, because movie colors usually are too saturated and dark and are falsified. I compared with a lot of good auction photos of both board versions and the lenticular isn't as purple as you can see it in the movie. ;)

But: since my files will be vector PDFs (I'll post them in a few days), feel free to modify the colors for your own purpose.

... They may or may not know about the existence of the hero board and its differences with the stunt board. ...

... even if the hero board was different. Mattel shouldn't even know about those boards. ...

I always thought, a company such as Mattel employs people in their development department, who are more professional. The Internet is large and there are so many good photos of the original Hoverboards and a lot of informations about them to find out there. I can't believe that they build the board without using all that. If they are professionals, they KNOW about the hero boards. If they are NO professionals, then they should stay away from building a Hoverboard.

Ok,here are my thoughts about it. First off I'm not going to complain about the board till I hold it in my hands, plain and simple because things change, we still have a way to go till time for release. Worst case scenario I have an in accurate but cool looking board for less than what anyone else is charging. Best case its fixed and accurate, or at least as accurate as the PKE meter was.

Second, I understand everyone's complaints, I think that Mattel could have made a perfect replica because lets look at the parts they could use, solid plastic board, with either separate magnet assembly or molded onto the board, stickers for the top bottom and side, and a foot pad, add some velcro and your done, honestly the individual parts aren't hard and it should be easy for a company of that size and resources to accurately produce the board graphics. And after all that we still would have paid $120 for a solid plastic, but perfect replica from Mattel (tell me I'm wrong). Also since they had access to real boards, they couldn't do a scan of them, or mold them too, thus making perfect replicas? Would that have really been that hard?

Also the need to add the sounds and was a little superfluous. It just feels like they are making a gimmicky toy as appose to a replica (I know they are just saying), and because of that, they have been designing it from the inside out, and for a replica of something it should be the other way around. But, like I also said I'm reserving my judgement for when it comes out, but if there is a chance that one of you guys posts will help inform accuracy for the final design then lets keep posting :p

As a manufacturer, it is easy to get caught up in a project like this and let "things" slip. There are also issues of sending the artwork and specifications to China for manufacturer and then finding THEY made changes that were totally unintended. (It happens more than you would expect there) Finally some people want to make a project their own and do tweaks they think will be improvements to the public eye or for a engineered design reason.

In the process, many things can go wrong and not just because of unprofessional-ism. So just be aware, that assumptions go both ways, let hope they are professional enough to listen to their customers and make corrections accordingly.

I worked at Mattel for many years including some collector departments and the issue I see here is that they didn’t have an internal guy who was championing for an authentic replica. Some of what Tripoli has said is true but if you are not replicating exactly an object like this to the last fillet then that designer has not done his or her job. It’s ridiculous to say that they couldn’t replicate this prop exactly. We had multiple licenses in Hot Wheels and we had to replicate real cars in 1/64 scale and then get even more detailed in 1/18 scale. If the front grill was missing one rib we’d hear about it!

When I worked on the Batmobiles (when Mattel first got the license) it was a bit of an uphill battle. There were PLENTY of higher ups that just wanted to get these cars done and out the door. When China said “let’s move this part here” I had to fight back and say “No…it needs to look like this”. I actually had to work evenings and weekends to get that 1/18 1989 Batmobile to end up looking the way it does. And it’s still not perfect! I also used some very informative people here on the forum for advice. Why not utilize an existing fan base? Usually they are free anyway! And I made many trips to the WB archives for more documentation. To me…that is all part of the job and should be expected. But again, someone internally (with a designer eye) needs to keep watch over this. I worked with many creative people there that are awesome in what they do but they honestly would not be able to see the difference in the images you guys are showing comparing the real prop to Mattel’s replica. That may have been the problem in this case.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Matty may be blowing off the post if that is the case above.

You can post here about the hover board at Mattel:
Ask Matty - Back to the Future Hoverboard

I would recommend you do ask for clarification on what is happening so they realize there is a very real concern about this. They may be debating about just forging ahead with what they have and that would be a horrible mistake on their part.

Let your voice be heard if you have a concern.

I think you make the mistake of comparing the colors with screen shots of the Hoverboard. That's never a good solution, because movie colors usually are too saturated and dark and are falsified. I compared with a lot of good auction photos of both board versions and the lenticular isn't as purple as you can see it in the movie. ;)

But: since my files will be vector PDFs (I'll post them in a few days), feel free to modify the colors for your own purpose.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.:) And even if I wanted to, I have no idea on how to change the color of stuff without making it a solid color and leaving no pattern behind.

The issue for Mattel as far as collectibles go has always been factory cost and eventual sell-through. If they are at cost or even slightly over they will not put in a half penny for that more accurate deco, or sticker, etc.

With sell-through they look at what their sell rates per week and think "Ok, well we'll sell out of these for this production run..." Case closed.

The other thing we did (now they do) is look at how well something like this sells and then decide "Hmm...is there a market for a deluxe version? Can we sell even more for a higher cost?" That happened with 1/64 collectibles but I'm not sure with 1:1 replicas.

As far as reference goes. They have access to microscopic images of anything they want. But note: If they want it. If they don't ask then they go on Google images. Sort by "large". :rolleyes

That being said, if there is one fan in-house (yes I'm making a few calls tonight) then that person can still stand up in an MDR meeting and say..."look guys, this sucks...here are some print outs of forum topics about this, read for yourselves". I did exactly this for the Batman stuff. It takes balls however because everyone in that room is concerned about time and money. Oh yeah, a few safety guys sitting in the back.

I'll try and help with this one. I think I have a few strings left. :)

I worked at Mattel for many years including some collector departments and the issue I see here is that they didn’t have an internal guy who was championing for an authentic replica.

See, that's what I don't get. We were treated to videos showing Bob Gale in their offices and a bunch of guys holding the original and making claims of accuracy. I think that's what's most perplexing... It *seemed* like we were in good hands...

Sometimes its the licensor that controls the outcome of the item. For example with the 1989 Batmobile the papers we received stated that our models had to have a "gloss black" paint job. Their own reference showed a satin black (with even pearl) paint job on the actual cars. What do you do? In this case I had to contact someone in the prop dept who worked on the cars for the film to write an email to WB licensing and tell them "No, its not gloss black". That's just one example.

In this case I have no idea what happened but from experience it was either someone in charge who did not follow up on accuracy with the details OR they don't see those details you guys are pointing out.

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread. Has someone seen a production hoverboard? Or at least a first shot or FEP? a lot of times our prototypes were really goofy compaired to the final item. A lot of the details were fixed in tooling.

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread. Has someone seen a production hoverboard? Or at least a first shot or FEP? a lot of times our prototypes were really goofy compaired to the final item. A lot of the details were fixed in tooling.

Thanks so much for helping out on this! It be great if you could pull a few strings. :)

I am not sure if it was considered and FEP at Comic Con, but they stated that the one we would be receiving was in the glass case and the one they had to play with was a works-like-model. The one in the glass case was exactly the same as the works-like-model, except the sticker had a slightly different design (horrible bubble pattern).

Can we put together some information for you to send them?

Yes, please pm me. I've already gotten the "what's up" from my engineering buddy who's pretty high up in the boy's division at Mattel. He could help answer some of your questions for sure.

I just tired PM'ing you, but I think it's not working. Let me know if you got my message below. Also, let me know what the "what's up" is on there end. :)

Questions:

1. Will the final have the holographic lenticular material used in the film? They can get the material made here:

Rowlux Illusion Film Design Center » Rowland Technologies
It would have to be custom made in 3D "Pink/Light Pink".

2. Why were the magnets and brackets not the correct size and shape? They had the originals to take measurements.

3. Overall, why does the mockup graphic look so different from the original prop?

Thanks!

Grant

Got your PM also. Ok I will forward your questions tonight. I'll post anything I can find out on this thread.

What is a estimated ship date for this? Graphics and deco can be corrected and improved but if they already cut steel and tooling is complete....the design is done. As a fan driven prop they should also be sharing progress pics of what is happening at the factory. A grey primer tooling model would really speak volumes. Those can also be altered before tooling. I just don't know what their schedule is.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Estimated ship date is in December. I guess that is pretty close by production standards?

Sounds great. Hope to hear from you soon.

Grant

Silence is not golden in this case with no answers yet. I really hope they don't close off the communication and just push on with what they have. It will be the worst mistake with huge repercussions for their future prop lines.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back