Ghost in the Shell

I am waiting for the US release of the 4 episode GIS: Arise ova. I hope they got the same voice cast. Any batou other than richard epcar is just weird after 20 years lol. I'd love to see Eidos get the GIS franchise away from Bandai and give it the Deus Ex: Human revolution treatment. Here's hoping to another season of Stand Alone Complex in the future.

I don´t have much faith in the guy who made a fluff movie like Snow White and the Huntsman to capture the intricacies of character development and moral ambiguities that are central to GiS-

I don´t have much faith in the guy who made a fluff movie like Snow White and the Huntsman to capture the intricacies of character development and moral ambiguities that are central to GiS-

I don't trust anyone in hollywood to touch an anime/manga based movie. I say let hollywood fund it and do the special effects but let the guys behind Stand Alone complex do the story and directing. Hell i could probably do a better script than most of hollywood for this. They know nothing of cyberpunk to start with. We'd be better off with the guys behind the matrix making a GIS movie.

I always have doubts about americans making movies based on anime and manga. They should hire the writers of Stand Alone Complex and film in japan with funding from Dreamwave with the only americans in the film (unless the story calls for the US to be in it) is Batou. Sadly we're gonna get a badly cast movie full of shaky-cam and bad cgi with very little cyberpunk elements. Then again the new anime series looks horrible too.

This!

SAC was amazing! As great as the film was, the series just surpassed every aspect of it in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I loved the film :)

I hope the live action captures the feeling of the world, and is able to delivery a decent story.

Upcoming Ghost in the Shell Live-Action movie

I guess you already heard about the upcoming planned GitS live-action movie. I'm a great GitS fan, not the biggest out there, but a great one as you can see the changed avatar of the laughing man. What worries me, is the realization of it. Now I have a little idea about what process goes into in the industry, I'm not very fond of americanization of a japanese material that is set in Japan of 2029. GitS is very influential in terms of cyberpunk and the Matrix and lots of directors like Spielberg and Cameron do say they loved it (the latter is producing the L-A movie). Strangely for me the Matrix looks now dated for me and though I liked it, retrospectively looking back from the point of 2014, it gained some cheese. I dearly hope for GitS live-action, that it won't be that case.

While I'm not a fan of fan-castings (mostly are terrible choices anyway, led by subjective preference), there's one fan casting, that nails it well so far:
Motoko Kusanagi:
Yumiko Shaku (face-wise very close to Motoko)
tumblr_m5smiu50ru1rtuxj3o1_500.jpg

yashiro01.jpg

Batou (the only american in PSS9):
Patrick Warburton
warburton.jpg

Togusa:
Takeshi Kaneshiro (look wise also very close to Togusa)
Takeshi+Kaneshiro+with+long+hairstyle+with+layers+and+bangs.jpg

So far, not a bad fan casting. But I think it's important to have Masamune Shirow ans Production IG on the movie. I'd like to have set the universe in the SAC one, since Motoko was best looking and the back stories fleshed out more. The Laughing Man incident would be great to see on screen. What also is important is to keep Kenji Kawai's "Making of a Cyborg" theme to introduce the GitS world and as well as Yoko Kanno's music of SAC.

How would you realize the GitS movie? What important thing shouldn't be forgotten? What has to be preserved from GitS?

Re: Upcoming Ghost in the Shell Live-Action movie

I agree with that fan casting too. Sadly it'll be nothing but white folks with the only thing really GIS about the entire film is the title.

Margot Robbie (Wolf of Wall Street) has been cast for the live action movie. Her role hasn't been announced but it's pretty safe to assume that she's going to be Motoko. Rupert Sanders is the director. Same dude who directed Snow White and The Huntsman.

Just like the talk about the Akira live action movie having the setting in Manhattan instead of Tokyo, I'm guessing New Port City will most likely be New YORK City. My hopes for this movie are not very high.

Ghost_in_the_Shell-Motoko_Kusanagi-Margot_Robbie.jpg

If there's one anime that won't suffer from white washing it has to be GitS, as I recall the locale was fairly generic and the only character that I thought looked particularly Asian was the chief, all of the rest looked pretty White to me.

I don't get this white washing, I know movies aren't made for the fans, but for the general audience, the average joe, who works from 9-5 and escapes from reality with a good movie from time to time. I'm no different from the rest of you guys. But what appealed GitS to many IS the different philosophical point of view about man, machine and soul. The impact of technology and integration into our everyday life. GitS has become sucessful for being different and not being comform to mainstream.

I don't care about Margot Robbie, she may be a good actress, but she's not what I image Motoko to be. I really really want to believe that Spielberg steps in, if he proclaims to be a big fan of GitS.
Riceball: You really can't tell me, that a name like Motoko Kusanagi is a western name and would fit a caucasian woman? Or Togusa, Ishikawa?

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't get this white washing, I know movies aren't made for the fans, but for the general audience, the average joe, who works from 9-5 and escapes from reality with a good movie from time to time. I'm no different from the rest of you guys. But what appealed GitS to many IS the different philosophical point of view about man, machine and soul. The impact of technology and integration into our everyday life. GitS has become sucessful for being different and not being comform to mainstream.

I don't care about Margot Robbie, she may be a good actress, but she's not what I image Motoko to be. I really really want to believe that Spielberg steps in, if he proclaims to be a big fan of GitS.
@Riceball: You really can't tell me, that a name like Motoko Kusanagi is a western name and would fit a caucasian woman? Or Togusa, Ishikawa?

Ok, you have a point about the names but when you go by the setting and the looks of the characters, esp. their looks, there's nothing too terribly Japanese about them. Besides, like you said the series' theme is a philosophical discussion between man, machine, and his soul and you can do that just as well if the characters are white Americans as you can if they're Japanese.

But then it wouldn't be GitS - GitS is what Masamune Shirow envisioned, the settings, the characters, their backgrounds. Take it away and it isn't GitS anymore or if I'm very liberal, not that GitS I used to know. At least they could cast Japanese-American actors/actresses for that job and at least try to respect the source material.

But what Japanese actress has the acting chops and looks for the part?

Lets face facts. Live action US version that is white washed...with good acting and maybe a loosely based on the original material storyline. All sorts of liberties taken.

OR

A Japanese live action with bland J pop actors, that stays true to the source but with terrible CGI...They have a long way too go.

Did anyone see the live action GANTZ? I liked it. Believe me I did. But it would be panned critically in the US.

Live action Fist of the North Star? Horrible and Americanized.

And a bunch of other recent ones. I saw Samurai X. All japanese characters. It had good production values. But not enough to elevate it past a TV special.

Last edited:

But there's also the opposite direction, where white washing bombed big time. Avatar the last Airbender was ripped apart by fans, who expected a source material realization of their beloved series. As well as Dragonball .I can see the same happening for GitS and GitS has the same amount of fan base like Avatar.

Nobody can really tell me, that all asian actors won't work, like shown in the fan-film trailer of Akira, which is also in the Hollywood white-washing machine:

Last edited by a moderator:

You're presuming that they'll still use the name Motoko Kusanagi. I'm betting they'll change it, and that the movie will have only the barest resemblance to any of the existing versions of GitS. Maybe the 90's movie, if anything. If they do include a spider tank or tachikoma, it'll look like a Bayformer or the new ED209.

I have little faith in a US studio adaptation here.

I still think that GitS is one of the few animes that can survive being white washed, to me (not that I'm super familiar with the property) there's nothing about it that's overly rooted in Japanese culture and couldn't survive white washing so long as they stay faithful to the basic stories and themes. Face it, this is not Akira where the whole thing is not only clearly set in Japan with Japanese characters but also rooted in Japan's experience being the only nation to ever have a nuclear weapon used on them in anger. This is not to say that I necessarily have any faith in an American adaptation of GitS, even if they went if an all Asian or even all Japanese cast they'd still likely butcher it by only taking a few visual elements and ignoring everything else and give it the barest of plots.

A fan-film...not really displaying much. I've already seen this as well. Not a lot of acting going on. Still amateur at best, not that I could do better.

I'm not saying they won't work, just saying their acting chops won't be good enough for a nationwide film.

Hell, some of the Americans cast in recent films couldn't act. Not that the scripts they were given were any good anyways.

I have liked every incarnation of GitS. I like the new series as well, with all the Ghost themes. Maybe only one movie I was not totally a fan of.

I do not expect much from this. I'd rather they attempt to work on a older easier to take liberties with story. Like DBZ. I mean, Mr. Popo! How racist was that?! Even if unintentional, he was just terrible. The cat with a cane? Yeah you can just take him out of the story. Hercule can stay...

But there's also the opposite direction, where white washing bombed big time. Avatar the last Airbender was ripped apart by fans, who expected a source material realization of their beloved series. As well as Dragonball .I can see the same happening for GitS and GitS has the same amount of fan base like Avatar.

Nobody can really tell me, that all asian actors won't work, like shown in the fan-film trailer of Akira, which is also in the Hollywood white-washing machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GO-93Nt3c

I know cabra, but you can see that it's not necessary to cast all american actors in this case. I think and still believe that a very well written or translated script can transport the story with the original characters in mind, without the need of whitewashing. People today are more open to movies with protagonists from other countries, that's what those white washed movies showed - they bombed, because of whitewashing. People associate those characters with a certain face, like Aang being an asian, Katarra being an Inuit, Son Goku being an asian.
Hollywood execs should have faith in the material that has been proven sucessful. They DON'T HAVE THE BALLS! But maybe I am expecting too much from those bean counters.

I surely will see, but have no fun in watching a white washed GitS with only a movie that barely has to do with it and bearing just the name.

If it is me, I would bring the resources in, having an all asian cast, except for those with clearly western background, having Shirow as an consultant as well as one, who I'd interview in depth. Production IG would be part of it. A futurist reseacher, a well know and good script writer, who is willing to understand the stuff and translate it. Then thinking about an adaption of the Laughing Man incident in a shorter timeframe, woven with some infos about the protagonists, cutting a bit down on the philosophical side (it was hard for me to understand it for the first time) and center it also about JD Salinger's novel.

But why go through all that work? When you can dig into the Trope jar, cast a bunch of actors that people will find vaguely likable, get Ryan Church* to do your production design & then slap an unrelated, but recognizable IP title on your movie? Drop a couple hundred $M on sfx, do some toy deals,then profit!

* I do like some of RC's work very much, but he's still everywhere...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back