Star Wars Episode VII Stormtrooper Pics

You don't think the medieval knight was more advanced than a Roman soldier?

No, I'm talking style not tech... And actually they weren't that much more advanced since they've now found out that Roman cataphracts (heavy cavalary) may in fact have had plate mail armor like medieval knights.

I don't really see it as a point that is being missed. I realize GL intended it to be "shinier and newer looking" but it just doesn't make sense. Time didn't start with the PT so you would still expect to see plenty of even older, well-used designs and tech then too. However, my grief also has to do with the tech rather than purely the aesthetics. There's nothing to indicate why technology, at least militarily, would regress leading up to the OT. Most of the gunships, fighters and walkers in the PT seemed far more capable than anything we saw in the huge civil war that rages 20 years later. Heck, the gunships even had mini-Death Star lasers! Why wouldn't that have been used more? I just don't think the Roman Empire/Dark Age analogy really applies here, at least not in my mind. There is no loss of knowledge happening here, apart from perhaps the Jedi teachings, and your average Dark Age knights and men- at- arms are still more advanced than Roman legionnaires.

The movies never indicated that Jango was paid for anything other than his DNA but as with any shadowy bureaucracy, one would assume the choice in trooper gear would come down to input from committees and corporations vying for contracts, not from an individual and his personal preferences.

Obviously, this all comes down to opinion but the bottom line is I think a sleeker, more modern aesthetic makes far more sense 30 years after the OT than 20 years before.

I don't think they looked more advanced at all. It just had flashier graphics than the OT. Just because the gun fired a fancy Death Star looking laser doesn't equal to it being better technology. The analogy had to do with loss of style and art, hence the Renaissance that followed. The Prequel tech was prettier and shinier and when the Empire took over things were utilitarian and bland looking. The movies might not have said it explicitly, but the novel did say that Jango helped train the clones. There were also no committees making the clones' vehicles and gear, so either the Sith designed everything or Jango helped design it. I really doubt they just gave someone a contract and told them to come up with whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If you don't think PT tech looked more advanced, I don't know what else to say.

R2 can fly in the PT...

Yeah, that literally changed every scene he was in in the OT, retroactively.

Also,

DAMNIT J.J.!!! SHOW US THE FREAKING LEFT SIDE OF THE HELMET! I swear, it's like that guy has been lurking this thread and has obscured the left side of the helmet in the leaks and the trailer just to mess with us. What did we ever do to you, dude!

Last edited:
They aren't clones.

I really hope there is a mic tip hiding out of view, its the only thing that might redeem this new design for me.

The fact that JJ did not let the teaser show the right side of their helmets, I am certain the mic piece is there and he's just trying to mess with the big fans.
Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me either.
I am almost certain those helmets won't do some video game bull**** like that

The scouts in ROTJ were clearly motorcycle inspired, so a motorcycle style flip up is understandable, to me at least.

I just have a feel ing there is a reason the other side of the helmet is always shrouded in the shots we have. I'm not banking on a mictip any more but I just have a feeling there is something there on the other side that will surprise us.

Well, the real reason was so the extras wouldn't have to take their helmets off between takes but who knows in this case...

Hi everyone, I was just asking myself how this new stormtrooper looks with a front view.

I've seen some fan made helmets very well made and also some fan art pictures.
But I wanted to have an idea of this helmet using the real pictures.

I tried with an easy software to do this with a picture from the trailer.
(sorry I don't have the skills for better pictures and softwares)

Anyway, If the helmet is symmetrical, the face shape view should be like this :

Here's a view of the helmet with flat lenses :

Here's a view of the helmet with bubble lenses :

And just to have an idea of how It could be on the armor :

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a little something I just put together real quick for ya.
star-wars-stormtrooper-03.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back