Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

I have built three with these parts. One I used an old aluminum penlight for the body. The other two I printed everything, including the body. I know Terrasolo also used these parts (see post #244). It makes a reasonable replica... the real flashlights are so hard to get!!

The outer diameter of the aluminum tube is 0.5 inches (approximately 12.25 millimeters). It's a very standard size for penlights.

The outer diameter of the aluminum tube is 0.5 inches (approximately 12.25 millimeters). It's a very standard size for penlights.
The barrel that you have on shapeways, is that just a straightforward tube? Or have you introduced some special shaping to the ends to make that parts fit together or hold the bulb in place etc.?

The barrel on Shapeways is not just a tube. The end has shaping to fit a 5 millimeter LED. It is thicker than the aluminum pen lights so the parts are designed to fit this thicker barrel.

The barrel on Shapeways is not just a tube. The end has shaping to fit a 5 millimeter LED. It is thicker than the aluminum pen lights so the parts are designed to fit this thicker barrel.
Ah, glad I read this - I was going to use an exisitng penlight I have.

Still, not placed the order yet so nothing lost. :)

You can use an existing pen light. The tab on the blue piece that the clip mounts to will be under sized. You can correct this with tape or putty. Terrasolo has done this in the past.

You can use an existing pen light. The tab on the blue piece that the clip mounts to will be under sized. You can correct this with tape or putty. Terrasolo has done this in the past.
I see, my pen light alse has a rounded end however so looks wrong. I will order the 4 bits after a search for a better penlight. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought you'd say that. Great work BTW.
What 5mm LED have you designed it to fit? I have my suspicion that here in the UK our bulbs will be different to yours in the US.
Sorry it looks like the Valeyard and I have joined this party a bit late.

Today I revived a package containing the second of two new sonics for my collection. First up is the "Fury from the Deep" life preserver whistle made by The Acme City and the other is "The War Games" Ever Ready penlight replica made by Dark Energy Creations.

The penlight replica features both twist on and press on light activation. No sound. It's so nice to finally have these two gaps in my collection filled!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pictures. :)When did this come out? How close to the original would you say it is as it looks very like the one posted a few pages ago. Will you be putting up a review on youtube at all? Sorry, lots of questions there. Final one - is the whistle a repro too? I can only find the modern red ones ;(

Glad to help out cirens!

Morelock, this penlight was based on the pics and measurements of the real one posted by Bradly Bear within this thread so yeah, it's accurate. Dark Energy Creations just released it a few days ago so it's fairly new on the market. YouTube reviews are not my thing, sorry. I can tell you it's worth every penny.

The whistle is a real vintage whistle. They pop up from time to time on eBay. You just have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the update the colour looks just the same as the original. Superb work by Dark Energy Creations. not heard of them before. Oh and thanks also for the tip about the whistle. I gave up looking, but now I will have another shot. I take it no ideas about The Dominators Sonic Screwdriver? I wonder if it was a made prop rather than a torch?

Today I revived a package containing the second of two new sonics for my collection. First up is the "Fury from the Deep" life preserver whistle made by The Acme City and the other is "The War Games" Ever Ready penlight replica made by Dark Energy Creations.

The penlight replica features both twist on and press on light activation. No sound. It's so nice to finally have these two gaps in my collection filled!

View attachment 599232View attachment 599236View attachment 599235

That replica *does* look very nice! I'm curious, and it's not clear on his site - did DEC use plastic for the green parts?

Thanks for the update the colour looks just the same as the original. Superb work by Dark Energy Creations. not heard of them before. Oh and thanks also for the tip about the whistle. I gave up looking, but now I will have another shot. I take it no ideas about The Dominators Sonic Screwdriver? I wonder if it was a made prop rather than a torch?

He is a member of these boards actually. He'd done a few Han Solo Dl-44 blaster kits and droid callers before. He does some fantastic work! Good luck on the whistle, I'll sure one will pop up.

All we know about the Dominators prop is that it appears to be another penlight because the end cap and pocket clip don't match this one. We know that Pat removed the tip of the penlight (bulb end) in scene as part of his conversion to make it a torch. We know that it was hollow because of this and that he attached some sort of handle to it to hold it very much like a gun. Unfortunately, even with this story still existing, there isn't much to go by for it. I am working on a replica of it myself though, but not a run or anything, just my own obsession.

That replica *does* look very nice! I'm curious, and it's not clear on his site - did DEC use plastic for the green parts?

He did used plastic for the blue end cap. It's some solid stuff too, I hate to admit this but I dropped my sonic the first day I had it - right on the end cap! - and no damage. DEC recreated the function of the penlight with both twist on and push on activation. He used the same light bulb type that was used on the original and he even had to make his own pocket clips to make it as accurate as it could be. He went all out on this.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back