The Keys Of Marinus

nathanalaneller

In the Doctor Who episode "The Keys Of Marinus" their a two pros I like to replicate. The 5 keys of Marinus with chain necklace, 6 including the fake key, & the time dial (AKA, time space manipulator).
Anyone have the DVD to this episode? I need a high quality pic of the circuit pattern on the key. This is the best I have at the moment.

Keys Of Marinus 05.jpg Keys Of Marinus 04.jpg With some extra pics of the dial.

Attachments

• Keys Of Marinus 01.jpg
    Keys Of Marinus 01.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Keys Of Marinus 02.jpg
    Keys Of Marinus 02.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Keys Of Marinus 03.jpg
    Keys Of Marinus 03.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 151
I would say you're pretty close on the circuit board. Keep in mind that circuit boards of that era were not green boards with gold plated connections. Boards out of older electronics are a tan color and the traces and connections are copper. They didn't coat the connections with gold till much later.

I would say you're pretty close on the circuit board. Keep in mind that circuit boards of that era were not green boards with gold plated connections. Boards out of older electronics are a tan color and the traces and connections are copper. They didn't coat the connections with gold till much later.

so, get a custom circuit board or make one via a kit, then color the board accordingly.

Actually cheap boards are still made that way. When I get boards made by ExpressPCB they look like that if you order their low cost service. The green color comes from the solder mask. The best way to replicate this board would be copper tape on a piece of phenolic. Barring that you could paint styrene tan and put copper tape on that. Getting a board made would be costly and you would have to find someone to draw it up for you. I have made several custom boards for projects and it is not cheap.

Actually cheap boards are still made that way. When I get boards made by ExpressPCB they look like that if you order their low cost service. The green color comes from the solder mask. The best way to replicate this board would be copper tape on a piece of phenolic. Barring that you could paint styrene tan and put copper tape on that. Getting a board made would be costly and you would have to find someone to draw it up for you. I have made several custom boards for projects and it is not cheap.

Would their be a how to video or site I can look at? If you don't know any, maby you can point me in the right direction on what to search for.

It looks to me like those designs might simply be scratched onto the clear plastic (perspex?) of the key, you can see where they're uneven and some parts aren't quite filled in. As for the cylinder part... If I strain my eyes and my imagination there might be a slot in the top that the rectangular part of the key fits in, then what looks like components inside would be the etched design distorted through the curved plastic.
(I could be wrong, if so I blame the number of painkillers I've taken for this toothache :D )

Edit: seems I was wrong: see below

Last edited:
Ok, my google-fu turned up this, so I've deleted my original (wrong post) Enjoy!
WhoThe+Keys+of+Marinus+3.jpg

And this one shows some variation in the keys, two with cut out corners (at least on the side we can see) and also which ones had holes for the neck-chain.
15.JPG

Last edited:
ExpressPCB has free software for doing the artwork for printed circuit boards. I've used it a lot, but it's not intuitive. They may have some tutorials on their site. I am glad to see the post by Angelus Lupus. It's a great picture, I may make one myself!! That site is expresspcb.com.

I made a photoshop of the clip hole placement & color for refrence.

Attachments

• circuit board.JPG
    circuit board.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 147
  • WhoThe+Keys+of+Marinus+3 copy 2.jpg
    WhoThe+Keys+of+Marinus+3 copy 2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 195
Looking at them I think they took a printed circuit board and cut it to fit. That's why the traces (the silver parts) go all the way to the edge and seem cutoff in some places. It's possible one large board was cut to make all of them and that's why they vary. Your photoshop looks good by the way.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back