Game of Thrones

Robin Arryn is, currently, a minor (if memory serves) and is not actually ruling the Vale. That's where Littlefinger comes in. Until Robin reaches his majority, the Vale is under Petyr's nominal rule, provided he can bring the lords of the Vale around to his point of view.

When Robin reaches his majority, and (nominally) rules in his own stead, he can pick whom he chooses to marry. But he's very unlikely to pick Lyanna Moremont. Her house offers literally nothing to him. And she's unlikely to suffer a fool like him gladly. Most likely, one of the houses in the Vale would try to have a daughter marry him. Alternatively, he could marry one of the daughters of a different Lord Paramount, thereby tying together those two regions in a marriage alliance.

Sansa would be a MUCH better choice, and Sansa already has his affection (mostly). What's more, as an up-and-coming player in the Great Game, Sansa would likely be willing to put up with him and simply rule from behind the throne. Once Robin puts a male heir in her, and assuming that the heir isn't a halfwit like his father, but rather takes after his mother, Sansa is set. Robin could have an "unfortunate accident" or "die of poor health" and Sansa would rule outright until her son comes of age. Meanwhile, Sansa would ALSO be ruling the North as Lady Paramount. Even if Jon is King in the North, if the North is eventually reabsorbed into the Seven Kingdoms, then Sansa becomes Lady (while Jon becomes King or Queen Consort of the Seven Kingdoms).

Lyanna would do well to marry into a family with better land. Or could be given the Dreadfort along with Bear Island, seeing as how the Bolton line is ended. (as always, barring random cousins)

Lyanna would do well to marry into a family with better land. Or could be given the Dreadfort along with Bear Island, seeing as how the Bolton line is ended. (as always, barring random cousins)

That would be a pretty fitting reward for one of the only Northern houses to support Jon & Sansa in their time of need. The question is, is Bear Island and the Dreadfort close enough to each other for that work? Having the extra land would be great but it would kind difficult to make full use of if there's a house or two's worth of land between Bear Island and the Dreadfort lands.

Bear Island and the Dreadfort are on opposite sides of the continent

The North.PNG

I just noticed in the last scene showing the fleet with the Targaryen sails, there are ships from Dorn scattered among them with the sun spear clearly visible on the sails. I guess the two fleets met up at some point, and that explains how Varys got back. Anyone else notice when the show The Citadel, you can see the white Ravens being released. Nice touch.

I just noticed in the last scene showing the fleet with the Targaryen sails, there are ships from Dorn scattered among them with the sun spear clearly visible on the sails. I guess the two fleets met up at some point, and that explains how Varys got back. Anyone else notice when the show The Citadel, you can see the white Ravens being released. Nice touch.

Not just Dornish ships. There are some Tyrell ships in there as well. Looks like Lady Olenna has had enough of the Lannister's crap, what with Cersei killing her son, two grandchildren, and basically decapitating the major houses during the Green Trial...

Sansa would be a MUCH better choice, and Sansa already has his affection (mostly). What's more, as an up-and-coming player in the Great Game, Sansa would likely be willing to put up with him and simply rule from behind the throne. Once Robin puts a male heir in her, and assuming that the heir isn't a halfwit like his father, but rather takes after his mother, Sansa is set. Robin could have an "unfortunate accident" or "die of poor health" and Sansa would rule outright until her son comes of age. Meanwhile, Sansa would ALSO be ruling the North as Lady Paramount. Even if Jon is King in the North, if the North is eventually reabsorbed into the Seven Kingdoms, then Sansa becomes Lady (while Jon becomes King or Queen Consort of the Seven Kingdoms).

Well, while it would be better than the Targaryen tradition, or that of certain Lannisters, Robin and Sansa ARE first cousins...

I'm just skipping most of this thread because I only just started watching the show about two weeks ago. I'm about half way through season two now.

Couple of questions: How in the world do you keep up with all the characters in this show? I'm 15 episodes in and still can only name about three or four people by name.

Second: Where is this supposed to take place? Is it supposed to be like medieval times or is it another planet or totally just "somewhere else"? I mean at least Middle Earth was still supposed to be Earth. The dragons and the chick giving birth to a smoke monster I can get as just being magical, but what's all this about winters being 8 years long or something?

I really like the show, just trying to get my bearings.

Last edited:
I'm just skipping most of this thread because I only just started watching the show about two weeks ago. I'm about half way through season two now.

Couple of questions: How in the world do you keep up with all the characters in this show? I'm 15 episodes in and still can only name about three or four people by name.

Second: Where is this supposed to take place? Is it supposed to be like medieval times or is it another planet or totally just "somewhere else"? The dragons and the chick giving birth to a smoke monster I can get as just being magical, but what's all this about winters being 8 years long or something?

First question: You can always make a cheat sheet. ;)

Second question: Somewhere else. The events are loosely inspired by actual historic events (like the War of the Roses) but Westeros is not Earth by any stretch of the imagination. Also, this: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5906300/5-scientific-explanations-for-game-of-thrones-messed-up-seasons

Second: Where is this supposed to take place? Is it supposed to be like medieval times or is it another planet or totally just "somewhere else"? I mean at least Middle Earth was still supposed to be Earth. The dragons and the chick giving birth to a smoke monster I can get as just being magical, but what's all this about winters being 8 years long or something?

I really like the show, just trying to get my bearings.

Like Medieval time's, but totally somewhere else. Magic in the beginning of the series is very much toned down if not nearly non-existant. Most don't believe any of the things from old stories existed and things like the white walers, giants etc... are all old fairy tales.

It is only with the birth of the dragons that magic begins to take hold in the world again and comet heralds the rise of the more fantastical elements of the story. Red Priests like Thoros and Melisandre discover dormat magic that is now stronger

I vote Varys. He seems to be the only worthwhile candidate. But it has to be in a way that Littlefinger would never suspect. Varys can't plan and plot and set events into motion. Littlefinger's too good. He'll see it coming a mile away.

No, Varys will have to choke the life out of him personally.

Littlefinger could NEVER predict that Varys would dirty his own hands.

I'd like to think Varys will kill him...perhaps in the show, the way he does kill Pycelle in the book - with a crossbow or like Kevan Lannister, after getting his "little birds" back from Qyburn.

KhalDrogo said:
]I'm not sure Dany would make a direct assault on King's Landing as her first move. I;m hoping they'll do something similar to what was done in the books with Jon Connington's plot. I think Dany would need to gain support from more houses before assaulting King's Landing and trying to remove Cersei. After all, whats to stop Cersei from just destroying the entire city with wildfire before she Dany even gets there? Will Jaime have to slay another mad ruler?

You're absolutely right lol, I just thought it would've been funny if she had gone through all that, to take the throne, just for this massive army with 3 dragons showing up. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the Dothraki and Westrosi fair together as Dany's allies. Dornish, in particular. They may find themselves as kindred spirits in many ways. I am VERY curious to see how the Winter affects the Dothraki, and I could actually see this as a difficulty facing their affectiveness on the battlefield.

I'm hoping that we see the Yara/Asha's men training the Unsullied and Dothraki on ship based combat, even if it doesn't really happen, I'm sure that Theon and Asha(I hate calling her "Yara"), know they will more than likely have to fight Euron's fleet at some point.

Solo4114 said:
Also, I meant to mention this earlier, but is anyone else troubled by Jon being named King in the North and just...accepting it (so far)? I certainly am. I mean, ok, Jon can be King and Sansa can be Lady of Winterfell, but Jon needs to carefully manage things going forward. And Littlefinger won't be any help in that regard. Although I suspect he'll end up finding himself on the sharp end of Longclaw before too long.

Not only did he not seem the least bit apprehensive, but I thought it was also a bittersweet movement compared to Robb's ascension. Maybe he was shock and we will hear more about his doubts on it early on next season. I know I was in awe and yet...cringing remembering what happened last time. I so hope he learns from his and Ned's and Robb's shortcomings/failures.

In regards to the Riverlands...now that that Walder Frey is dead, perhaps Arya will set Edmure free since he's there and a Tully(the only family she may be currently aware of or a recently NOT deceased Blackfish or perhaps the two are in cahoots.

Last edited:
I'd like to think Varys will kill him...perhaps in the show, the way he does kill Pycelle in the book - with a crossbow or like Kevan Lannister, after getting his "little birds" back from Qyburn.

You're absolutely right lol, I just thought it would've been funny if she had gone through all that, to take the throne, just for this massive army with 3 dragons showing up. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the Dothraki and Westrosi fair together as Dany's allies. Dornish, in particular. They may find themselves as kindred spirits in many ways. I am VERY curious to see how the Winter affects the Dothraki, and I could actually see this as a difficulty facing their affectiveness on the battlefield.

I'm hoping that we see the Yara/Asha's men training the Unsullied and Dothraki on ship based combat, even if it doesn't really happen, I'm sure that Theon and Asha(I hate calling her "Yara"), know they will more than likely have to fight Euron's fleet at some point.

Not only did he not seem the least bit apprehensive, but I thought it was also a bittersweet movement compared to Robb's ascension. Maybe he was shock and we will hear more about his doubts on it early on next season. I know I was in awe and yet...cringing remembering what happened last time. I so hope he learns from his and Ned's and Robb's shortcomings/failures.

In regards to the Riverlands...now that that Walder Frey is dead, perhaps Arya will set Edmure free since he's there and a Tully(the only family she may be currently aware of or a recently NOT deceased Blackfish or perhaps the two are in cahoots.

I don't know. I didn't get the impression that he was accepting it... It looked to me like he was trying not to be sick with horror at his elevation. Jon never wanted to be a leader and he keeps being thrust to ever higher levels of authority and responsibility.

That may be the case. I actually hope that's the case, because if it were the case, it would hopefully mean that Jon will surround himself with better counsel and really start to listen to his advisors LIKE SANSA. I thought his behavior at the Battle of the Bastards strongly suggested that he had learned nothing and was still governed by his instincts about things like honor, rather than able to restrain himself and think carefully. I really questioned how far he'd come -- and whether he'd really become someone who could lead -- after that.

Thats the one thing about Jon in the show so far. Any other character thats acted like he does is usually killed off. Maybe he's under some sort of protection by the Lord of Light or maybe its just bad storytelling. Gonna have to wait and see.

In case some of you missed it, during TBotB while arrows were raining down, not one scratch on him, I mean not one. In fact a hail of arrows formed a ring around him. I'd say there's definitely divine intervention going on.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back