New Episode 7 X-wing

I don't care if they use models or CG....as long as they don't look like models or CG.....what I've seen so far looks real

J

Agreed. While anything tangible is more awesome... so long as we can't tell the difference - only that we are made to believe they are real. That's the main thing. Plus, we have a full scale MF, XW and other various sets and props. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Analyzing a fictional space fighter, yay... I wonder, how come they do not use safety belts on X-wings? I would have thought they'd upgrade. How do they stay on their seats? Artifical gravity?

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/Avanaut/Other/PILOTS3_zpsb43ed22c.jpg

The Y-wings had no seat belts either but A-wings, B-wings and Snowspeeders did. Go figure. I love the aurebesh "Pull to Inflate" on Oscar Isaac's vest, though, a safety belt would've obscured that. :D

I'm thinking this is a VERY early production shot. It would appear the prop department hadn't added all the greeblies and details. I'm sure (hoping) the final shots will be loaded with little greeblies that we get to try to figure out what the heck they are! If you get a chance, look at the differences between the ANH, ESB and RotJ XWing cockpits. Greeblies Greeblies Greeblies!

I don't think the technology exists to make a super-realistic CGI scene that's indistinguishable from reality. Somehow I still have to strain to convince myself it's real. But I do understand that there are scenes where the use of real models would be impractical. I have to admit that Falcon scene in the trailer looks pretty good but I'm still hoping they add real models that can be displayed in Star Wars exhibits later on for fans to identify kitbashed parts of and stimulate building studio-scale models of them. With Disney backing and a bigger budget I'm hoping for the best. I read ILM hit a jackpot back then, where they were able to procure model kits in bulk from a hobby store for their kitbashing needs. Disney wouldn't be worrying about cash outlay for model kits.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this is a VERY early production shot. It would appear the prop department hadn't added all the greeblies and details. I'm sure (hoping) the final shots will be loaded with little greeblies that we get to try to figure out what the heck they are! If you get a chance, look at the differences between the ANH, ESB and RotJ XWing cockpits. Greeblies Greeblies Greeblies!
The OT X-wing cockpits do differ from movie to movie (not to mention the different sizes of the Millennium Falcon cabin), but they were put together three years apart and differences are understandable. I can imagine Oscar Isaac was shot in front of a mock up put there quickly just to get the CGI engines and waterspray plates aligned and under work. He also sits very low compared to the original. The targeting computer seems to be there, I wouldn't be surprised if the hoses and other greeblies appear when the X-wings are seen on the big screen. Still, I find the lack of safety belts interesting, will they be there in the finished shots or will there be a consistency between the old and the new?

I'm wanting that cockpit detail that the older X-wings have even though it is inconsistent. It's just more visually interesting, but on the other hand it does make some sense that hoses, wires and potentially sensitive parts be protected. Not to mention the evolution of a product.

Somehow I doubt that they are going to do any kit-bashing. They will probably design and fabricate all the parts.

I think the pilots will be held in place with magnets or tractor beams. ha ha

I was wondering about the seatbelts also in Episode 2 during the chase scene with the bounty hunter and the speeder car in Coruscant. Anakin loses his lightsaber and Obi Wan picks it out of the air and just lies it on the seat next to him. With all the maneuvers he was making it would have fell overboard several times.
I'm thinking that some of these ships have some sort of force field or tractor technology that keeps the rider in his seat.
Just a theory.

TazMan2000

For a space fighter, there needs to be some sort of artificial gravity anyway with the manuevers they can perform, otherwise the pilot would become "chunky salsa" pretty quick. A seatbelt or harness might help for some things, but it would be secondary to an artificial gravity/inertial damping system.

Since this one looks alot like the McQuarrie concept I really want to paint one up with the concept paint job. I think it would look really sharp. I remember a while back there was a concept X-wing kit around, I wonder how it compares.

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/01/31-Dogfight.png

Pretty good!!!

2013_0824waxwings0057.jpg

I'm glad they have gone with a design that looks like its made improvements as much as I love the original classics but I also note the AK47 has announced its had some slight upgrades and that looks a little stream lined too!!!!

I would imagine that the significant proportion of the production props will be stored for future episodes and possibly a perminent exhibition similar to the Harry Potter one (which has been very successful in the UK) , given the number of films scheduled to be rolled out. Given the large sums of money a used prop from the film is likely to command I doubt that very few legitimate originals will find themselves on to the market. Again the same was true for Harry Potter.

Build thread with more photos http://www.therpf.com/f11/ewing-build-106759/index3.html

Last edited:
For a space fighter, there needs to be some sort of artificial gravity anyway with the manuevers they can perform, otherwise the pilot would become "chunky salsa" pretty quick. A seatbelt or harness might help for some things, but it would be secondary to an artificial gravity/inertial damping system.
"Artifical gravity/Inertial damping system", I like that.

Aboard the Millennium Falcon Luke and Ben strap themselves down with passenger airplane type lap belts when leaving Mos Eisley. Maybe such belts are used with certain fighters as well. Still, remembering the scene in TESB where the Falcon gets a direct hit on the rear deck while running away from the Tie fighters and Star Destroyers, without an AGIDS (a cool acronym for Artifical gravity/inertial damping system) that violent jerk would certainly have killed all passengers instantly, seat belts or not. Yeah, there must be an AGIDS in the mix.

I wonder, when the time comes, will those full size X-wing fighters ever be a part of an exhibition tour? I know they're big and expensive to move around even if they may be built in modules, but damn, I'd love to see one in person some day. Just a thought. :)

I wonder, when the time comes, will those full size X-wing fighters ever be a part of an exhibition tour? I know they're big and expensive to move around even if they may be built in modules, but damn, I'd love to see one in person some day. Just a thought. :)

I HOPE they don't get rid of them... PLEASE save them and / or auction them off...

I HOPE they don't get rid of them... PLEASE save them and / or auction them off...
I hope they will be saved and displayed somewhere.

Back in the day they had a nice way to get rid of at least some of the leftovers: in May 1983 issue of Bantha Tracks (journal of the official Star Wars fan club) there was a creativity contest which had an interesting list of prizes. It was mostly the usual stuff, press kits and one-sheets, but take a look at the first two. "Pieces of the full-sized Millennium Falcon built in England" and "Pieces of the Death Star model used in ILM's special effects filming". I wonder what these were exactly. Anyone?

I hope they will be saved and displayed somewhere.

Back in the day they had a nice way to get rid of at least some of the leftovers: in May 1983 issue of Bantha Tracks (journal of the official Star Wars fan club) there was a creativity contest which had an interesting list of prizes. It was mostly the usual stuff, press kits and one-sheets, but take a look at the first two. "Pieces of the full-sized Millennium Falcon built in England" and "Pieces of the Death Star model used in ILM's special effects filming". I wonder what these were exactly. Anyone?

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums...29_722994907727678_14289796_n_zps685cb28c.jpg

I see pieces of the screen used Death Star for sale all the time, but I have never seen a piece of the full size Millennium Falcon for sale. Added to wish list.

First off I'd like to say that I love the new x-wing......from the angle we see in the trailer. I'm not sure it will look great from other perspectives. I have the feeling that the wings will look a bit spindly.

However, my post is really about the falcon. As much as I like the new radar dish, I actually wish that more was done to it. I figure that after endor, Han's "status" had greatly improved, allowing him to update the falcon. I would hate to see the overall dimensions change (it needs to keep the same shape to look bad ass) but I think it would be cool if some of the guts went back inside. Maybe close up those wells and fix the panels. Upgrade the quad cannons.

It seems like the only thing changed was the thing we saw damaged the last time we saw it. If he's been using it since then there would be a lot of mods.

And if he's now rich and it's been sitting in a hanger then it's probably been heavily restored and upgraded.

^^^ I recall one of the novels (don't ask which..) wherein, rich/influential Han Solo was the victim of New Republic do-gooders fixing up the Falcon for him, but it made him very creeped out because he couldn't hear it while it was running so he personally went through and loosened every bolt so he could sense what his ship was actually doing!

YMMV.

--Alex

First off I'd like to say that I love the new x-wing......from the angle we see in the trailer. I'm not sure it will look great from other perspectives. I have the feeling that the wings will look a bit spindly.

However, my post is really about the falcon. As much as I like the new radar dish, I actually wish that more was done to it.

Both agree and disagree. For an owner who constantly like to tinker with his ship, yeah, I would have liked to see more changes - the latest engines and whatnot. Hey, even some panels painted differently, I mean, wasn't the point of the various colours that Han had patched the Falcon with whatever he had available, and didn't have time to repaint to match the hull? After 30 years, I would have thought she'd either be completely repaired/repainted, or have a whole bunch of new battle damage. I have to disagree on the radar dish though. From a design perspective I just like how the classic version of the ship is composed of circles - in portrait, the circular radar balances the cockpit beautifully, while the rectangle just looks kinda clunky and slapped on.

Maybe Han Solo thinks the Millennium Falcon is a classic as it is? A veteran ship of not one, but TWO Death Star assaults, mind you. :)

Some changes have been made to her, other than the antenna that is, look at the aft sidewall next to the engine. Those greeblies are new to me. Is it just something the 3D modeler whacked together when making the model, is this a WIP model for the trailer only, or is this something put there on purpose referencing the final version of the new Falcon accurately? This remains to be seen.

This is a crop from one of the high resolution images Disney released the other day, I've enhanced it a bit in Photosop.

That helmet's kinda small. Must be a Rubie's...

Really guys? Are you freakin serious!!!!!!! That helmet makes perfect sense!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe with all the smarte people here you guys don't freaken realize....

it prevents this under high G forces!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• WindFace9.jpg
    WindFace9.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 76
Both agree and disagree. For an owner who constantly like to tinker with his ship, yeah, I would have liked to see more changes - the latest engines and whatnot. Hey, even some panels painted differently, I mean, wasn't the point of the various colours that Han had patched the Falcon with whatever he had available, and didn't have time to repaint to match the hull? After 30 years, I would have thought she'd either be completely repaired/repainted, or have a whole bunch of new battle damage. I have to disagree on the radar dish though. From a design perspective I just like how the classic version of the ship is composed of circles - in portrait, the circular radar balances the cockpit beautifully, while the rectangle just looks kinda clunky and slapped on.
Well, if I were being honest with myself about the radar dish, I would rather it be gone all together. Perhaps replaced with some smaller, streamlined unit.
Remember how cell phones used to have antennae and now they don't?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back