Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I have a crazy theory. Did you hear the regular Luke style lightsaber ignite at the end at the very very end of the clip?? It must have meaning. I mean the trailer shows all kinds of chaos and darkness and then at the end.. That sound. Like something is gonna intervene. I hope to God we see a movie where it's chaos and disruption and darkness and we think the movie is gonna end on a bad note like empire and then Luke is back and completely wrecks everything.. Almost God like.. like in the crappy force unleashed but believable. I wan't him to be the Jules/rambo that just lays waste to the bad guys... I dunno. you know?? I dunno....

Totally agree... Luke is going to hand Mr. Baddie his dark ass!!! :)

They could let us in on certain names...

Like the droid... Even the nonhaters are gonna know him as soccer ball for the rest of our lives! LOL.

They don't have to say "Kira Solo"... They could leave it at first names...

I'm tired of only knowing them as daisey and John... LOL!!!

The new lightsaber was stolen from Pineapple Express.

IqJ2rVc.jpg

In 5 seconds worth of footage I see more expression on her (Ridley) than Portman in 3 films!

What about the "Anakin, you're breaking my heart scene"... that was...

... bad. Really bad. GL did a really great job turning award winning actors into emotionless puppets for 3 films. Like it's so impressive he should win an award for how far he got his cast to regress in their acting skills.

I agree. She manages to look a little afraid yet very brave in 1.2 seconds of emoting...

But I don't think it was 100% portmans fault...

"FASTER MORE INTENSE!"

She followed those directions in black swan though...

In 5 seconds worth of footage I see more expression on her (Ridley) than Portman in 3 films!

What about the "Anakin, you're breaking my heart scene"... that was...

... bad. Really bad. GL did a really great job turning award winning actors into emotionless puppets for 3 films. Like it's so impressive he should win an award for how far he got his cast to regress in their acting skills.

I agree. She manages to look a little afraid yet very brave in 1.2 seconds of emoting...

But I don't think it was 100% portmans fault...

"FASTER MORE INTENSE!"

She followed those directions in black swan though...

The George Lucas Method boils down to "Say your lines and hit your marks. Nothing else."

Seriously. You had MAJOR talent in the prequels! Liam Neeson! Natalie Portman! Christopher Lee!

Portman and Neeson are both VERY well established and talented actors, but they came across as wooden and inflexible. Even Christopher Lee, who has the Morgan Freeman-like superpower to turn reading the back of a cereal box into a sublime experience, seemed subdued.

I wept when I saw how criminally underused they were.

I don't know that I'd be able to handle that in public.

You probably want to skip that entirely unless you want to end up on a registry...

The more I see this trailer, the more I like it. I wasn't completely blown away initially but I'm liking what I see the more I watch it. It is very much a teaser and it's impossible to make any real judgment calls just yet.

I got chills seeing the Falcon again though I'm not crazy about the swoopy, shaky cam style of that little sequence. Doesn't really match the style of the OT or even the PT for the most part. However, JJ has his particular style and that's just a fact of life. The Falcon and X-wings don't appear to be practical models but I could be wrong there. The naive part of me had hoped that JJ would go out of his way to try to make the film look as if it had been made in the '80s. Treat it as a period film, almost. However, that was a fool's hope and I can't hold not doing that against him.

It looks like the film will still have plenty of nostalgic nods. I loved the X-wing cockpit and thought it very much fit with the general look of what was seen in the OT. Sure it could be argued it looks "cheap" but it fits. I wasn't sure what to make of the new lightsaber but if rumors are true that it is actually an ancient Sith saber, I can buy that it'd look different than the "newer" sabers we're used to. The pommel "blades" look more like some sort of exhaust or venting to me. The ball astromech isn't bad, in my book. Sure he's cute but so what? I think he'll be fine. I'm so happy to see the stormtroopers being actual people in costumes.

Last edited:

I dunno, but I can NOT stop watching that guy. He tromps over and jerks that saber off so violently...he's like the Leatherface of Sith Lords. Primal and ferocious. I love the whole body language thing. Hopefully there will be less lightsaber ballet and more down and dirty FIGHTING. Here's my campaign: no backflips in 2015!

Totally agree. The PT kendo style of fighting was neat at first but it got old quickly. All the little twirls and pointless flourishes got to the point of being silly. I hope this new Sith is brutish and powerful.

Last edited:

Odd that the rod, staff, device, whatever it is, prominently in the foreground in this shot

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8590/15898090361_cb5658a8d7_o.jpg

Is completely missing in this shot.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8674/15714315427_05d621310f_o.jpg

stick.JPG

It's pretty long and it's hanging off of hook up so its either something she uses often, a staff or long rifle, or just some salvage. Notice how she is looking back, perhaps someone is not happy that she grabbed that stick.

George was never great with dialogue or camera... He loooooved the tech though. If he had it in him to have the kind if camera work you see in that trailer, he absolutely would have used the current tech to do it.

I don't think jj or any of the other directors should have to cripple themselves to match what George did in Star Wars.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back