Truly epic animated series... Recommendations?

Southern Cross I only really know from its adaptation as the Masters cycle in Robotech, which I gather does the usual Carl Macek chop-job on the source material. That was always my least favorite part of Robotech, if only because it seemed to bear so little resemblance to the Macross material (whereas the Invid/Mospeada cycle generally has the same/right "vibe" to it).

Dude, you have to watch the original. Earth colonists who discover the planet they've settled is the ancestral homeworld of a humanoid alien race who comes back to find us squatting on their turf. Much better story.

Orguss I know very, very little about, other than some vague familiarity with the mecha due to Takatoku's toy line, and having read some wiki stuff before. I'm curious about it, though.

Probably, along with Starriors, the biggest under-seen/under-appreciated gem of its era (early-to-mid-'80s). The story is pretty frikkin' amazing, like, almost Michael Bay/JJ Abrams level of disorienting in places, but in a good way. The Orguss itself is one of my favorite mechs, just for the sheer personality of it. Further thoughts on this below with Dougram.

Orguss getting remastered would be a lovely thing, but I also think about Starriors in there. That really needs to be dusted off and either finished or actually properly released. It's not a terribly original story concept, but the execution, if handled right, could be amazing, mainly because it's populated by good characters.

And on the heels of that thought tends to follow shows that had potential, but suffered from "'80s-animation-itis". You know. The stuff that makes us cringe now, whether it's bad voice acting or overexaggerated animation or cranial-intrusion level simple stories that underestimate the audience or... The two at the top of my list of "geed idea that needs to be rebooted and done properly" are Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and M.A.S.K. That last I have some fun thoughts for, if you'll bear with me:

• Toy line released by Kenner, now owned by Hasbro, who also did/does GI Joe and Transformers
• GI Joe and Transformers crossed over a few times in each others' comics, and Spider-Man appeared in both, along with other Marvel Universe hallmarks, making them both part of the Marvel Universe.
• So... *deep breath* After the Ark wakes up and an initial misunderstanding, the Autobots (Cybertrons or Cybertronians in my treatment) help the government beat the Decepticons (Destrons in my treatment) and are generous with their more-advanced science and technology in exchange for our friendship. With the Avengers Initiative shot down, Project: Insight a debacle, and S.H.I.E.L.D. disbanded (even if the intention is to rebuild it from scratch), the government forms a new covert Special-Missions Force, with help from Stark and Cybertronian tech. This team, nicknamed "G. I. Joe" by its members and supporters after the '60s action figure who could go anywhere and do anything, even has combat vehicles disguised as everyday drivers that make use of transforming tech to convert into their combat modes.
• Meanwhile, Hydra operatives are able to squirrel away some of the tech being developed and use it to set up two new "heads" with different focuses, Cobra and Venom. They may even get help from not-as-defeated-as-we-thought Destrons. ;)

I call it my Grand Unified Theory of '80s Animation. *chuckle*

I only saw [Macross II] once, and I think I saw the film version? It was on VHS back in the late 90s. I forget which US company handled it. I just remember the story not really jiving with hardly anything that came before or after. I gather fans have taken to treating it, much like DYRL, as a "film" that was actually from the "real" continuity of Zero/SDFM/Plus/7/Frontier. I only have dim memories of it, though.

Well, it's set 80 years after the end of Macross, and almost fifty years after all the Macross 7 stuff. The female lead is, like, Max and Miriya's great-granddaughter (she says she has an "ancestor" who was Meltran). So I've never had any problem dismissing the discontinuity by saying we have several decades of untouched intervening time to sort out just about any problems. With all the M7 stuff (it makes my eyes cross there's so much to try to keep track of), I don't know if we ever get an "end" to the story, or a final disposition of the Jenius family. *thinks* Dammit, now I think I have to get all the M7 stuff I'm missing and do a fan-edit to make it all coherent with a single trackable narrative thread. :p

Yeah, VOTOMS is great. My point is just that it's not a straight-up mecha show, with robotic armors beating the lubricant out of each other. I actually picked up a trade paperback a year or two ago, on deep, deep discount at some "We're clearing out our stock" sale at a local comic shop, called "Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Sole Survivor." It tells a very, very little bit of backstory on Chirico, prior to the mission where he first encounters Fianna, and then includes basically the first episode of the anime. It wasn't bad. I think it's better to read after seeing the whole thing, because there are some sequences that will make ZERO sense to someone unfamiliar with the material. Like, how a guy can be literally 1' away from Chirico, with a gun pointed at his head, pull the trigger, and still somehow miss.

Very cool. I have all the tie-in print stuff, I liked the story that much.

Oh, and if you're a Twin Peaks fan and from the Salish region, I'm gonna assume you've been to the various shooting locations like the Salish Lodge, Snoqualmie Falls, the Mar-T Diner, etc. Sadly, the "cherry pie" is more like cherry pie material in a bowl, rather than an actual slice of pie. And the interior is nothing like the set they used. But it's still fun. :)

I've been, yes. But more to the point, I live about fifteen minutes away from the place used for many of the interiors and exteriors in the pilot. Interior and exterior of the Packard house, interior of the Great Northern lobby, conference room, the Horne dining room, the beach where Laura's body was found...

I am utterly thrilled beyond words that they're reviving the series for a third season to tie up the loose ends. I'd been frantically hoping someone had remembered Cooper was twenty-five years older in his dream and would do something with that. I only hope some old resentments can be put aside to see the majority of the surviving cast return. And to honor Frank Silva, I hope they use CG to do Bob and not change his appearance.

And I LOVE the Dougram mecha, along with the old Macross mecha, and the other "unseen" mechs from the original Battletech game. Great designs.

I just wish all the Dougram mecha were released in 1:35 scale. Most are 1:72, which is fine for displaying next to my air/space-craft (not counting my 1:48 Gunstar). I have that larger-scale Dougram itself. Just wish at least the "Battlemaster" and "Wolverine" -- to use their Battletech names -- were in that scale, too. It'd be so eye-catching... I like the thought of some of the most notable mechs (Orguss, Valkyrie Battloid, Ride Armour, Legioss Battloid, Dougram, the Bloodsucker version of the VOTOMS from the Last Red Shoulder OVA...) in 1:35 to display among military armor models and just generally be impressive and have context for scale.

--Jonah

Spring anime season is starting in a few days. Most notable shows coming are:

Arslan Senki
Digimon Adventure
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Second half of the season. And my most anticipated)
High School DxD BorN (Season 3)
Kekkai Sensen
Lupin III
Nisekoi (season 2)
Owari no Seraph
Shokugeki no Souma (AKA: Food Wars. Basically, if Iron Chef was an anime)

I forgot about this thread, but I've been watching Death Billiards. it just finished with 12 episodes. its pretty odd, but very thought provoking and a really interesting story. Its worth a look at

Just finished season two of Tokyo Ghoul, really liked it. Another one I'll be picking up when it gets a domestic release.

Iron Chef as an anime? Color me interested... I hope they have a character like Chairman Kaga.

Iron Chef America ruined the whole experience for me, such prevention baloney. Sure, Iron Chef classic is pretentious baloney too - but it's got the wacky Japanese angle to make in endearing.

Just finished season two of Tokyo Ghoul, really liked it. Another one I'll be picking up when it gets a domestic release.

I take it you haven't read the manga? The anime deviates from it a lot. Ishida Sui (author of the manga) was apparently disappointed with the first season of the anime that he wrote a completely alternate draft for the Root A anime. The role Kaneki plays regarding Aogiri and Anteiku is vastly different between anime and manga. And don't get me started on the situation with Amon. So, if there's a third season (TG: Re), who knows if it's going to follow the manga or be a completely different story.

I take it you haven't read the manga? The anime deviates from it a lot. Ishida Sui (author of the manga) was apparently disappointed with the first season of the anime that he wrote a completely alternate draft for the Root A anime. The role Kaneki plays regarding Aogiri and Anteiku is vastly different between anime and manga. And don't get me started on the situation with Amon. So, if there's a third season (TG: Re), who knows if it's going to follow the manga or be a completely different story.

I haven't read the manga yet, but I will likely give it a try at some point. For Black Lagoon fans, Volume 10 of the manga is due out April 21st.

I hear about this Anime alot. I may my self look in to buying the dvds. They have them here for cheap at some stores, Like box sets etc.

To anyone looking to get into Berserk, stick solely with the manga series.

The first anime series, while decent, is horribly incomplete, especially towards the end, and avoid the 2012-13 movies like the plague. The manga is the definitive version, and I believe that is one of the most epic of stories ever written..

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back