Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Welcome H0T and DROID: I'm a newbie as well. Just started this project the end of April but already have rounded up all the accessories and am working on the bike parts now. Still need wheels and tires. (Finding the stuff hasn't been as hard as paying for it all.)

The only dups I have are green and red control box buttons. If you PM me your address, I'll send you a set. -- BB

Guys for the grips type in "donkey grips" on ebay, make sure to get two 7/8th grips for a bicycle.

To answer cracker. I used a right side lee-chi brake grip. Or at least the bmx grip on my bike has the bolt on the top and the strap on the bottom.
Abe i may be wrong but i thibk they were initially called coke bottle grips. There like 7 bucks

Big Updates and the journey begins!!!

First, I'd like to thank kxazbug for making available to me his spare DX frame. I got it in the mail today. Next step....sandblasting!

I also picked this bike off of Craigslist this morning:

I figure I should be able to salvage the crank, chain, sprocket, gooseneck and other odds and ends off it. I'm going to try to sell the remaining parts and hopefully make some of my money back on it. What I didn't know before I bought it was the the fenders are more narrow than on the DX. It's ok, part of the learning curve. It's always fascinating to me on projects like this that there are two things to learn...the prop and the piece itself. I'm kind of excited that I'll get to learn all about old Schwinn bikes through this.

Also....

Picked up the following:

Project Box
Grips
Streamers

Gregg

Abe i may be wrong but i thibk they were initially called coke bottle grips. There like 7 bucks

Yeah,, uh Nope, enjoy your coke bottle grips. They are close but you can get the other one on ebay too.

Here is my recommendation to all of you, read the whole thread and learn.

It's good to get a 1950-1955 Schwinn DX, if you get a Fleet even better.

I see someone bought a nice girls bike, to part out.

I recommend you don't do this, first your ruining a nice bike. Yeah its girls bike but still nice nonetheless. A nice original I personally would not pull parts from. Parting girls bike happens all too often in the bike forums. The crank and sprockets are or may different to make easier for girl to ride.

The thing about it is...that the correct fenders are from a DX, the Crank is a custom BMX part, The wheels are not S2 wheels or schwinn wheels at that. That is why it is nice to start with abare frame or a bike that has had the paint ruined. Because you may only need the frame with stand, neck hardware, stem/neck and the seat post, even the seat post clamp is different. Maybe the fenders.

If you live near So-CAL go to the Long Beach Swap, you will find the basic bike parts there for a decent price, there are many bike swaps throughout the states.
As far as correct wheelsets,the closest that matches the wheel profile is a the Hi-Stop heavy duty wheels without the dimples at the spoke end. They should be about 65 bucks.

One last thing, make sure you don't end up a classic bike collector in the end.

Last edited:
Actually I decided not to part it out. My wife liked it, so I'm going to keep it for her...maybe repaint it with the same paint as the Pee Wee bike and we can have his/hers cruisers.

As far as the Long Beach Swap goes....I'll be in SoCal next week so I might have to check it out.

Here is my recommendation to all of you, read the whole thread and learn.

So true. Too often the same question gets repeated over and over. I know it's a long thread, but the answers and info are in there. That's how I built my bike, so I know the info is there if you look.

I see someone bought a nice girls bike, to part out.

I recommend you don't do this, first your ruining a nice bike. Yeah its girls bike but still nice nonetheless. A nice original I personally would not pull parts from. Parting girls bike happens all too often in the bike forums. The crank and sprockets are or may different to make easier for girl to ride.

True. The crank is wrong anyway, you need a Takagi crank, and the sprockets on girls bikes often have a different tooth count, which makes them smaller.

One last thing, make sure you don't end up a classic bike collector in the end.
Now you tell me!

Well I got my project box in today and my my red and green buttons in thanks to BestBike! I'm making progress!

I think the handle bars are going to be one of my early projects and the one thing I can't seem to figure out from reading this thread (which I spent 2.5 hours doing today) is which model the hand brake is. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Also, it looks like I'm going to be in LA next week, so I'm going to try to get to the Hollywood Museum on the 21st. It'll be nice to lay my eyes on this finally. If anyone in SoCal is around, maybe we can meet up.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is always appreciated.

Gregg

Is there a pattern for the chain guard? I'd like to see what my machine shop can whip up.

Gregg

DROID: Attaching some snaps of the templates I've been working on for the custom cuts and custom builds. Still need tweaking and I'll need to size them and test them in cardboard mockups before I do any production. (Need to go through my files and find a good reference for the button placements on the tank. Most shots show the opposite side. And the rear wheel guards need to be customized for the right and left side of the bike. Did spin-wheel templates that are movie-accurate but am going with a perfected swirl instead.) Anyways, happy to share with you once I get that far.

Glad the control buttons arrived. Oddly, the 3-speed shifter was the accessory that took the longest to find. Finally got NOS on eBay. -- BB

Beautiful drawings! I can't wait to see the finished product.

When you get everything finalized I can see how much my laser cutter will charge to cut them out of steel or aluminum.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back