New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

well..It can't hurt to give it a shot...I have full confidence in you, or someone else with take up the challenge! with or without a CNC
Oh, eventually I'll get there, but right now I'm trying to build a string of portfolio pieces, then a web site... when I think about it all at once, it really freaks me out...

freak-out-cat.jpg
... and I expose myself to cats...

Has anyone found a good display case for the Wand Phaser? I want to display it next to my MR Tricorder and a similar case would be ideal..

From the cutaway diagram I've seen, that would be very challenging to machine. The inside at least would have to be done via CNC, especially if you're talking a run of them, which means very good CAD skills. Interesting challenge, and we do have the equipment and software at Techshop, but my CAD/CAM/CNC skills aren't at that level yet.

I'll be happy just to master the regular hero nozzle for my own scratch-builds without resorting to CNC. :)

I was working on an all aluminum version of the TOS phaser before the Wand piece came out. I had been working with Dave at DEC to do the body shells in aluminum with anodized or powder coated finish as close to the original as possible.

After the Wand, which is so nice, I am not sure there would be enough interest for the full version, but "replacement" parts for the nozzle, fins and 10 turn may be worth thinking about.

I also suggested making customized stands that still work with the magnets. I had heard that some people "wished" the stand did not have the Enterprise name and would rather have had a generic or Ship/Character specific engraving.

I would still love to replicate the body shells in aluminum and use the Wand guts...

I'm sure if accurate their will be a market for the replacement parts after you become a Premium member

I was working on an all aluminum version of the TOS phaser before the Wand piece came out. I had been working with Dave at DEC to do the body shells in aluminum with anodized or powder coated finish as close to the original as possible.

After the Wand, which is so nice, I am not sure there would be enough interest for the full version, but "replacement" parts for the nozzle, fins and 10 turn may be worth thinking about.

I also suggested making customized stands that still work with the magnets. I had heard that some people "wished" the stand did not have the Enterprise name and would rather have had a generic or Ship/Character specific engraving.

I would still love to replicate the body shells in aluminum and use the Wand guts...

I think powder coating is the way to go on the handle and pistol, and the P1 would look incredible in anodized black. In fact, I've been looking for good metallic bronze enamel powder matches for the handle off and on because I'd like to experiment with that. I've come pretty close, but nothing I'm happy with just yet. We have a powder coating room at Techshop.

I personally, hove zero interest in an all aluminum version of the phaser, as that was one of the reasons I didn't like the MR among the many others I had already mentioned earlier. I see no reason to make it out of aluminum, as the originals were not, but that is of course, my preference.. However, I would be very interested in an aluminum replacement nozzle, provided it didn't cost as much or more as the entire wand unit.I did polish my nozzle nicely, and can easily live with it. But it would seem that someone may make one sooner or later, and I am in no real rush anyway..

Was it shipped in a bag or box??

QUOTE=frankvw;3511154]Received my Wand Phaser from ThinkGeek this afternoon. Looks like I lucked out and got one of the good phasers, however, the packaging from ThinkGeek left much to be desired...
View attachment 414821[/QUOTE]

I personally, hove zero interest in an all aluminum version of the phaser, as that was one of the reasons I didn't like the MR among the many others I had already mentioned earlier. I see no reason to make it out of aluminum, as the originals were not, but that is of course, my preference.. However, I would be very interested in an aluminum replacement nozzle, provided it didn't cost as much or more as the entire wand unit.I did polish my nozzle nicely, and can easily live with it. But it would seem that someone may make one sooner or later, and I am in no real rush anyway..

...the reasoning for the aluminum body was to reimagine what a "real"phaser would look and feel like, not to replicate the "props" as it were.
I thought an aluminum body with anodized finish would give a very solid realistic feel to the replica. Sort of how it would have been made in the 23 century. Clean, idealized body like the Wand but maybe made with a bottom fastener (a really cool one, not a common screw) so it could be taken apart. Hard anodized body colored as it "was meant to be". Not necessarily how it was painted and repainted over the course of use. Remembering that the only reason it is the color it is was to be easily seen on 1960s TV sets.

I have always thought that IF the phaser were real, in that design, it would have been Two colors. The P1 and grip would be a textured black finish for gripping, and the P2 body would be a dark gray.

That at is the " impression" I get from viewing the phaser in the series. Just like seeing the real costumes and make up in film vs the actual item. Never the same. Bat and suit isn't all black...it's gray... If it were all black as we "see" it on film, we wouldn't. See it.

Anyway, that was the thought. Could still be powder coated to match the hero prop. Replacement parts are still possible.

Time me will tell what most people want or need.

Until then, enjoy playing with your Wands.

I was glad to see my TG phaser arrived in a box with some pillow packs to keep it from sliding around too much, but I had to shake my head at the other large box I received from them that had a couple of Trek toy replicas. The box had a about a foot of empty space for the two items to slide back and forth in. Surprisingly they didn't get beat up.

Or the st.III PHASER

ST III phaser will be shipping around March from AA/DST available for preorder from Entertainment Earth , Big Bad Toy Store, and others.................... only $34.95 , on evilbay going for $59.95, your choice...................

I was glad to see my TG phaser arrived in a box with some pillow packs to keep it from sliding around too much, but I had to shake my head at the other large box I received from them that had a couple of Trek toy replicas. The box had a about a foot of empty space for the two items to slide back and forth in. Surprisingly they didn't get beat up.

That sounds a lot like Amazon packing.

My ThinkGeek phaser was in worse shape than that, and it was shipped in a box! Shipping box was halfway torn open on the bottom, the single air bubble that was in it had popped, and the phaser had bounced around so much that the instructions were crumpled up within the phaser box. Phaser was ok though.

QUOTE=frankvw;3511154]Received my Wand Phaser from ThinkGeek this afternoon. Looks like I lucked out and got one of the good phasers, however, the packaging from ThinkGeek left much to be desired...
View attachment 414821
[/QUOTE]

View attachment 414821
[/QUOTE]

Phaser arrived in a ThinkGeek box with some pillow packs. Box was dented on the corner and, as luck would have it, not the corner protected by the pillow packs. Ended up crumpling the Wand Phaser box and instructions on the inside. Thankfully phaser was protected by the awesome NCC-1701 Case and undamaged. Tis the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about getting some Tamiya paints and repaint the phaser 1 and 2 body. Can I just paint over the phaser as it is or would it need prep work?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back