"123bttf" on ebay, looks dodgy (using pics of my hoverboards)

razorsharp192

Sr Member
Hi all,

Just noticed this seller on ebay called "123bttf" who's using pics of one of my hoverboards (I thought he might just be selling one he got off me, but the description says "This is the finest quality and made in the USA" so something seems off). He's got zero feedback. I've messaged him asking him not to use pics of my hoverboards (even his pics look photoshopped, so i doubt he's even got one of my boards but his listing states "Pictures are of the actual item") so i'll see what he says, but just a heads up.

Back to The Future Hoverboard Movie Prop Retro Collectable Memorabilia Sci Fi | eBay

Last edited:
Hmm. It's ended now. It seems he might be trying to use BTTF123's success and scam people think he is Tim.

yeah that's what i thought, a variation of Tim's username and pics of my board. I've been trying to place where i've seen those pics before, but can't remember, possibly from someone posting on here.

just seen on another hoverboard thread "123bttf" is a member (1 post, member since April 2014). Just messaged him asking him to reply on this thread.

View Profile: 123bttf - the RPF

btw, had a reply via ebay:

Hi

My son used those pictures and I told him to take it down.

Sorry

Susie

Found where he got those pics of my hoverboard from too (i knew they looked familiar!), PRCDMC posted them in 2010. looks like he's photoshopped them, so he's gone to a bit of effort to use them.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/bttf-replica-hoverboard-question-98211/#post1433135

Last edited:
I received an email via ebay from 123bttf (no reply to my pm on here though and he has been online), no explanation as to why he was using photo's of one of my hoverboards taken from here.

Your pics are not being used. Sorry for that and I apologize. Only pics of MY actual item(s) and video is now being used. Apologies. The auction was taken down immediately after you sent your message. Thank you.

- 123bttf

this is his latest auction (not sure i'd be stating "screen accurate"..... )

Screen Accurate Screen Used Look Back to The Future II Hoverboard Prop | eBay

Is there a rule about adopting a user name that is very close to another member's that sells a certain product and then selling that same type of product? It's clearly an intentional attempt to mislead.

So I messaged him through Ebay advising that he might consider another user name, as the one he's chosen sounds obviously like Tim's, and could easily be seen as deceptive. That plus the fact that he's already listed his board once using pics of razors while claiming in the auction that the pics are of the actual item for sale = thin ice with buyers and the prop forums they frequent.

He responded that he's not deceiving anyone, doesn't know who bttf123 is, and isn't on any prop forum (though rpf shows member 123bttf just joined April 8).

To me, he sounds like a 16-year old with an attitude and in need of an ethics class. But really, should any more be expected? You don't "accidentally" use someone else's pics on your own auction and explicitly say in the auction that the pics are of the actual item for sale, so that one action puts someone on my "do-not-buy" list anyway...

You don't "accidentally" use someone else's pics on your own auction

If ever there was a premeditated accident, this would be it :lol

ebay pics on the left, PRCDMC's on the right

hb12-980x482.jpg

hb22-971x480.jpg

looks like he's photoshopped them, so he's gone to a bit of effort to use them.

'a bit' of an effort ? You're not being lavish enough with superlative adjectives are you :lol

What I would really like to know is how the heck did you spot that :cool !?

If ever there was a premeditated accident, this would be it :lol

ebay pics on the left, PRCDMC's on the right

http://alancastillo.com/sitebuilder/images/hb12-980x482.jpg

http://alancastillo.com/sitebuilder/images/hb22-971x480.jpg

'a bit' of an effort ? You're not being lavish enough with superlative adjectives are you :lol

What I would really like to know is how the heck did you spot that :cool !?

haha, ok, he went to "a lot" of effort! :D and i used my super detective skills to track down the photo's ;)

also, had a reply from 123bttf (the rpf member)

123bttf said:
I don't use eBay sorry - wrong person.

this could be true, but it's a bit (that one's for you Alan! ;) ) of a coincidence that this member's only post on here is regarding making hoverboards, and the ebay seller with the exact same username has used photo's stolen from here.

Had a reply off 123bttf (the ebay version), I asked why he used my photo's and informed him that I welcome healthy competition and all that, but it's bad form to steal photo's etc

Hi
Honestly? I could not locate my pics - but now that I have yay! My camera is down at the moment and the pics and video are from when I took them about a month ago. I am making a brand new board and I am going to tackle the Pit Bull next. Sorry again about the bad form. Good luck with your props too!

Thanks

123bttf

So he used pics that weren't his own, photoshopped them, stated they were of his item, all because he couldn't find his own pics.... :behave I think it's safe to say he's made it onto my blocked ebay user list

Last edited:
just an update for this seller, just noticed he's been inflating his feedback on ebay by buying recipes for $0.06 - $0.99 (his feedback shows as private for these items, but they show if you go on the ebay app on iphone (bit of a loophole there!)). Another reason to avoid this seller! It's also ironic that he's watermarking his photo's on his auctions now, guess he doesn't want anyone to steal them!! :lol

I wouldn't wonder if that guy doesn't own any Hoverboards. His video shows a completely different board than his auction photos. Even the photos themselves show different boards. I guess all videos and photos are just stolen.

WOW, this is so incredibly sketchy I can't believe it! I was wondering about the positive feedback, but looks like that mystery was solved. Great use of loophole! :thumbsup This guy's going through an awful lot of work to deceive people. Hopefully this thread will help save some people from getting scammed!

Hi! I found this thread doing some research on 123bttf's boards and joined to comment. I'm really interested in buying a hoverboard replica and hopefully not spending 200 dollars-plus on the Mattel reproduction. If 123bttf isn't the answer I'm looking for, could someone suggest another prop builder from whom I could purchase one?

bttf123* on eBay

Seems to be a popular new username on ebay these days :lol

Wasn't that Tim's original username too? Definitely someone trying to steal his thunder

WOW, this is so incredibly sketchy I can't believe it! I was wondering about the positive feedback, but looks like that mystery was solved. Great use of loophole! :thumbsup This guy's going through an awful lot of work to deceive people. Hopefully this thread will help save some people from getting scammed!

Yeah he's looking very dodgy, from the pics to the feedback and his rpf username (which the user claims isn't him, but his only post is regarding making hoverboards), it screams out "AVOID" to me!

Hi! I found this thread doing some research on 123bttf's boards and joined to comment. I'm really interested in buying a hoverboard replica and hopefully not spending 200 dollars-plus on the Mattel reproduction. If 123bttf isn't the answer I'm looking for, could someone suggest another prop builder from whom I could purchase one?

Anyone but that guy as he's obviously dodgy and his hoverboards aren't "screen accurate" despite his listings saying they are. Do some research, find the type of board you want, study pics, ask the seller questions etc. I've just had a look on ebay and there's a few hoverboard makers on their at the minute but none of them look any good in my opinion. At the minute i'd say you'd be best getting the Matty version and customising it (using one of Roland's kits), whilst it wont be 100% screen accurate, it will be better than the current offerings on ebay.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back