Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread.

Yes. Got swatches. The blue looks great, the burgundy may be too dark, but I'll post some pics when I have a few minutes of spare time. Been really busy here lately.

Yes. Got swatches. The blue looks great, the burgundy may be too dark, but I'll post some pics when I have a few minutes of spare time. Been really busy here lately.

From looking at the images above, I think the color of the burgundy is perfect but the line is too thick. It may be the eye playing tricks but it looks thicker than the blue, which looks perfect!

Great work though, they are coming together nicely!

I'm pretty psyched, this is probably the route I'm going to take now.

Yeah same here. I actually really can't wait to see these swatches. I just need to find the right shirt pattern for sewing it. I'll probably just have somebody else sew it all up for me though as I've never done it before.

Still kind of unsure on whether to actually do this or not though after hearing of MS going for a costume fitting. Makes me wonder if they'll even keep the shirt. I hope they do though as I love the design and look of it.

Last edited:
IMO the shirt is the best part of the costume, I hope they don't get rid of it. But then again, the shirts they have won't last forever. Still, it's a nice shirt that I'll probably wear out of costume more often than in.

Oh, and there's a Burda shirt pattern that matches the PS shirt fairly well.

IMO the shirt is the best part of the costume, I hope they don't get rid of it. But then again, the shirts they have won't last forever. Still, it's a nice shirt that I'll probably wear out of costume more often than in.

Oh, and there's a Burda shirt pattern that matches the PS shirt fairly well.

Yeah I agree about the shirt. Favorite part of the outfit for sure. Probably because it's the most detailed part of the outfit, the rest of it could be done with "close enoughs" quite easily. The shirt just stands out because of the pattern. I reckon the outfit change will just be a waistcoat or a different coat.

I saw the Burda pattern that SR used for his. Dunno if that's an exact match but it's probably the one I'll end up buying for this.

Well, there are little details like the correct collar and cuff shape and the width of the box pleat. The only big change (if you could call it that) would be adding the darts in the back.

I'd definitely just get the fabric first and then research the hell out of it and take numerous HD screengrabs before doing anything. I'd also give SRs blog another read through before starting, to see what he found out and pointed out when making his replica shirts.

I'd definitely just get the fabric first and then research the hell out of it and take numerous HD screengrabs before doing anything. I'd also give SRs blog another read through before starting, to see what he found out and pointed out when making his replica shirts.

You can save yourselves the bother, Paul Smith are bringing the shirt back by popular demand.

That's pretty cool. They'll still cost loads more than the spoonflower alternative, but if Gap ever brought back the trousers I'd be pretty psyched, so I can see the benefit.

If I remember correctly the PS shirts ran in the $200-$250 range. Not a cheap shirt.

Also, that burda shirt pattern that SR uses is for a more casual shirt. I don't think the collar is right on it nor is the center front placket. I will likely use a standard 3-hour shirt pattern that has a normal placket instead of a self facing in the center front.

Sorry I haven't posted those pics yet. Today was my first off day in two weeks and I spent it doing other things. :)

The cost for the PS shirt brand new was 78 GBP or about $120 USD. After shipping from the UK it was about $150. This was for the unmodified version with the covered buttonstand, breast pocket and lack of striped cuffs (but straps which could be added to simulate the end of the cuffs). I assume the full non pocket/uncovered buttonstand/5 striped cuff version they offered went for the same cost but I don't know because by the time that version was discovered it was on a clearance website for far less when it was purchased.

I contacted Spoonflower about their current turnaround times. They told me their printer was broken for 20 days, which caused the delay. Their wait is now down to 15 days.

Here we go. Tried to click these in sunlight. Sadly my camera decided to die, so I had to use the droid. Which thankfully has a great camera.

The blue, I'm happy with. The stripes on the cuff maybe could go darker, but this one looks good.
The red looks a little brown up close. May have to pink it up a bit since Spoonflower's printers tend to brown it out alot. The squiggles are too thick too, so there's a fix.

Comments?
4784184585_6623e1b8f4_b.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back