Now Completed! Buzz Lightyear Build

Got those pics with the background intact? I'd like to share on the RPF FB page and I think the room makes it feel more "home made." :)

sure, here are the front and back

buzz back final 2.jpg buzz 1 final 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got those pics with the background intact? I'd like to share on the RPF FB page and I think the room makes it feel more "home made." :)

sure, here are the front and back

buzz back final 2.jpg buzz 1 final 2.jpg

Re: Another Buzz Lightyear Build

Incredible work sir! I'm really impressed by your ability to get the shapes right with modding pepakura (something I gave up on early which I'm sure was a mistake) and you seem to have conquered some of the problems that stymied me (ball joints, cracking paint, etc.).

Question for you: above you mention 50/50 modpoge mix... is that 50% modpoge and 50% water? Then 5 coats of that as a base under some number of coats of acrylic latex paint?

As for the wings I ran into the same problem and had to go with a more manual approach. We built up wing structure that could rotate within a pretty solid backpack frame (things got very heavy even with the materials being mainly foam) and then it extends using drawer rails. In the end we used PVC 90 degree pieces as handles to twist the wings up and extend them, then we plugged pegs into holes in the backpack under the wings that held them up. I'd love to see if anyone came up with a way to do it with springs and catches and buttons... I definitely ran out of time/money. Here's a pic though of the manual mechanism we came up with, worked like a charm if you accept manual input is needed ;)

buzz018.jpg

Anyway, amazing build VinMan!!

Incredible work sir! I'm really impressed by your ability to get the shapes right with modding pepakura (something I gave up on early which I'm sure was a mistake) and you seem to have conquered some of the problems that stymied me (ball joints, cracking paint, etc.).

Question for you: above you mention 50/50 modpoge mix... is that 50% modpoge and 50% water? Then 5 coats of that as a base under some number of coats of acrylic latex paint?

As for the wings I ran into the same problem and had to go with a more manual approach. We built up wing structure that could rotate within a pretty solid backpack frame (things got very heavy even with the materials being mainly foam) and then it extends using drawer rails. In the end we used PVC 90 degree pieces as handles to twist the wings up and extend them, then we plugged pegs into holes in the backpack under the wings that held them up. I'd love to see if anyone came up with a way to do it with springs and catches and buttons... I definitely ran out of time/money. Here's a pic though of the manual mechanism we came up with, worked like a charm if you accept manual input is needed ;)

View attachment 390014

Anyway, amazing build VinMan!!

Hey!

I remember checking out your thread very carefully when I was researching my Buzz. I was supremely impressed by your work!

On the paint and sealing. I did straight Mod Podge to seal. Then after that I mixed Mod Podge with the paint to keep the paint flexible. I know that latex mask painters do this with liquid latex to keep the paint from flaking off flexible masks.

I was running short on time and funds in order to create wings that would actually operate so I had to make a compromise. What I came up with is a static set I can insert into a channel in the backpack. This solution allows me to move better in tight spaces at a party without them but also gives me the option of having a six foot span when I'm outdoors at a kid friendly event or at a possible contest situation. Not a perfect solution but It's about the best I could live with.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a challenge. Not much time to rest though. I just started on a Ghostbusters Proton Pack!

Hey!

I remember checking out your thread very carefully when I was researching my Buzz. I was supremely impressed by your work!

On the paint and sealing. I did straight Mod Podge to seal. Then after that I mixed Mod Podge with the paint to keep the paint flexible. I know that latex mask painters do this with liquid latex to keep the paint from flaking off flexible masks.

I was running short on time and funds in order to create wings that would actually operate so I had to make a compromise. What I came up with is a static set I can insert into a channel in the backpack. This solution allows me to move better in tight spaces at a party without them but also gives me the option of having a six foot span when I'm outdoors at a kid friendly event or at a possible contest situation. Not a perfect solution but It's about the best I could live with.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a challenge. Not much time to rest though. I just started on a Ghostbusters Proton Pack!

Awesome, that latex paint method will be super helpful for my next project whatever that may be, just the sort of trick I was looking to find.
And thanks to you as well, I am really pumped that my work may have helped out your research.
Sounds like a great call on the wings, flexibility is a big bonus-

Highly impressed with this build. I've had the fortune to talk with Vinny and watch his progress. This is my favorite Buzz build by far and makes me want to remake mine now.

there is only one problem with this costume that drives me crazy . . . I DON'T OWN IT!!! I absolutely love this build it came out perfectly. You sir are awesome!

On the lower arms before/after image it looks like you are in the process of sanding/filling the joints, if so what are you using as a filler? Or is the white on the edges the modgepodge/ acrylic paint mix? Also are you using any jointing compound like silicone or caulking at the joints?

Looks really nice thanks for sharing the build.

On the lower arms before/after image it looks like you are in the process of sanding/filling the joints, if so what are you using as a filler? Or is the white on the edges the modgepodge/ acrylic paint mix? Also are you using any jointing compound like silicone or caulking at the joints?

Looks really nice thanks for sharing the build.

You got it. I used paintable latex caulk where seams join where there noticeable edges

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back