Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

That is the only thing I can think of also.

The one other factor that could have caused it is the waxy/greasy substance that smells like almonds that is on the pieces when they arrive from Shapeways. I scrubbed my cone and other pieces with lukewarm soapy water and dried them thoroughly before priming with an acrylic primer. I have had no problems with the paint that I used (Halfords grey plastic primer).

That's one of the problems with UV cured 3D printed parts. They are really not archival. Depending on variables when the part is printed the resin may not have been 100% cured, or it's possible the part wasn't fully cleaned by the printers before shipping. There's really no way to know for sure. Where was the part printed? Out of what material?

It's a good idea to thoroughly clean 3D printed parts first with isopropyl alcohol, then with soap and warm water before priming.

The one other factor that could have caused it is the waxy/greasy substance that smells like almonds that is on the pieces when they arrive from Shapeways. I scrubbed my cone and other pieces with lukewarm soapy water and dried them thoroughly before priming with an acrylic primer. I have had no problems with the paint that I used (Halfords grey plastic primer).
Thanks for that, and definately could play a factor, but I promise I cleaned them thoroughly.

That's one of the problems with UV cured 3D printed parts. They are really not archival. Depending on variables when the part is printed the resin may not have been 100% cured, or it's possible the part wasn't fully cleaned by the printers before shipping. There's really no way to know for sure. Where was the part printed? Out of what material?

It's a good idea to thoroughly clean 3D printed parts first with isopropyl alcohol, then with soap and warm water before priming.
Shapeways, Ultra Frosted detail. cleaned with simple green, then soap and water. Maybe the Simple Green?

Last edited:
Yeah, quality control can be a problem with Shapeways. It's very likely the resin wasn't fully cured when the part was printed. Something interesting I found out from Shapeways when I was having all the issues with the Y Wing fuselage parts they were trying to print is that Shapeways doesn't actually own and operate the printers used to print the Frosted Detail parts, they job the parts out to other sub-contractor companies. The Shapeways rep admitted that getting to the bottom of QC issues with those print houses can be a problem.

Now in all fairness, I have gotten some excellent parts from Shapeways as well. It's just hit and miss.

A good idea is to always do your own "post cure" with Shapeways parts, either putting them out in the sun for a few hours or under an ultra-violet lamp.

Thought I would post these scans i took of the ESB Falcon from the newer Star Wars Chronicles (Japanese) book...great reference of the top and bottom

XfOwcWR.jpgctxTzvn.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures emrumi, they are a fantastic reference for painting! These are exactly the sort of pictures DeAgo should have used for the finishing reference posters - well lit and of the original prop!!!

Great reference. Thanks for sharing. How are the contrast in the scans compared to the book?

The contrast in those images was adjusted by my scanner while scanning, the images in the book are a little less saturated too...I am looking at getting a better scanner

IMG_2647_crop.jpg

Ok...I tried to pull back the color and contrast in the original scans to be closer to actual using photoshop,,,hope it looks a little better

star_wars_scan002_low_adjusted.jpgstar_wars_scan003_low_adjusted.jpg

Last edited:
For a minute I thought... Wha?

Then I realized it's upside down. They have the mount for the model as the base.

Won't be using it as a table stand without mounting it to something else first.

Too big, too clunky. I will have to find another way.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back