Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

Never have I ever wanted to see the inside of something so bad

ya, this photo is such a tease! :p Its amazing how this little droid has captured the hearts and our imagination just as R2D2 did back in 1977 and we haven't even seen him in the movie yet! :D I never thought they could pull off this kind of magic and upstage R2!

I think the main thing I am taking from the access port picture is that the droid may be able to roll with out a completely smooth interior structure. If this is the case, I think it has a frame that the pieces of the outside bolt to. And if it does have a subframe, it is less likely that it has bearings contacting the shell (unless the are all spring loaded), making this more of a balancing robot in a ball.

I wonder if we're gonna see some articulated arms that pop out of bb when he is stationary, to help him manipulate objects, interface with computers, or even crawl up stairs etc. Hopefully that will be the case over rocket boosters or something ... a flying BB-8 would be just a bit much for me ...

If any of you are on Astromech.net, they have a section discussing all the particulars of how to build BB-8.There's also quite a few close-up photos from Celebration that show great details on the BB-8 static model.

Regarding the panels:
11194538_10155518897240707_8037567277089291948_o.jpg

Based on the above photo with the access ports and interior frame, it looks like it might be a sphere-in-a-sphere concept, where there's a smooth inner diameter that separates the outer diameter by a few centimeters.

TinyP and Nussbaumer over at Astromech.net have drafted up a 3D print of the panels with this concept, and it seems pretty like a solid idea:
BB-8 Schematic - Front Right.jpgBB-8 Schematic - Rear Right.jpg

This would make a lot of sense, since each of the circular panels has lights on them, and having some thickness to each panel would allow LEDs and batteries to be recessed into them. Because of it's modular nature, and all the panels having the same thickness as the inner frame, it would give the entire interior a smooth surface on which the Sphero-based drive system could operate smoothly, yet allow the operator to access the inside to make any repairs or changes.

Also, in case you're wondering, Kresty, Savage, and Themodelmaker have nailed down the order and orientation of the circular panels. I've borrowed Themodelmakers graphics and oriented them in the correct fashion:

BB8 Ball Pattern.jpg

As far as BB-8's sizing goes, there's a good post in one of the Chrome Trooper threads:

I have dubt on Gwendoline Christie's Character.
Let me explaine.

On this picture we can see the tall size of toys:
View attachment 470354

So we know the size of Characters Toy
and we know the size tall of the actors...

So I make a table.

Blue = Known values
Green = Defined values
Red = Calculated Values

Nametall size (cm)tall size (ft,in)ratiotoy tall @100%toy tall @104%ratio 2characters name
John Boyega1755' 9"0,837146,4152,30,870Finn
Daisy Ridley1705' 7"0,843143,31490,876Rey
Peter Mayhew2187' 2"0,894195202,80,930Chewbacca
67,022' 2"0,8456,358,6BB8
191,316' 3"0,84160,7167,1Kylo Ren
Gwendoline Christie1916' 3"

Online modifiable table

What did you think about it ?

A good case was made that since the designers/creators are British, that the measurement of the bodysphere is probably 50cm/500mm. That seems in line with most of the measurements we've all come up with, but definitely makes more sense for the designers to use the metric system, and if we're going to use the metric system, I'll go out on a limb and say that I think the head diameter is probably 30cm/300mm, with the head height being 15-17cm (since it's basically half a sphere with a small lip at the base). Based on the table above (and assuming the toys are in correct scale), then BB-8 being about 67cm tall jives with the body/head measurements.

What do you guys think?

11194538_10155518897240707_8037567277089291948_o.jpg

BB-8 Schematic - Front Right.jpg

BB-8 Schematic - Rear Right.jpg

BB8 Ball Pattern.png

BB8 Ball Pattern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found another good promo/reference pic:
Matthew-Rowbottom-BB-8-1088x816.jpg

As well as a good video of a fan-build for the interior drive mechanism using omni-wheels:

Have you guys noted that BB-8 can rotate his body in place? You can see him do it on stage in the Celebration video. That particular movement baffles me.

I believe there are only two wheels inside the ball - which is what the Sphero has. The movement in place would be the opposite reaction of the robot inside turning by spinning the two wheels in opposite directions to each other at the same speed.

I believe there are only two wheels inside the ball - which is what the Sphero has. The movement in place would be the opposite reaction of the robot inside turning by spinning the two wheels in opposite directions to each other at the same speed.

If both wheels have equal traction while moving in opposite directions, the result would be zero movement. It can't explain the in-place rotation.

If both wheels have equal traction while moving in opposite directions, the result would be zero movement. It can't explain the in-place rotation.

In the Celebration video, the body only ever rotates in place by less than 10-20 degrees. I think what you're seeing is the momentum from the drive carriage transferring to the shell. If the drive carriage is turning in place and suddenly brakes, that energy has to go somewhere. The Sphero I have absolutely turns a bit in place for this very reason.

Having re-read some of this thread and the other ep7 BB-8 Droid concept thread, I think it's accepted now that the drive system inside is either a 2 wheeled, self-balancing design (it would need the sensor adjustment in order to keep a smooth motion) or it's an a 4 omni-wheeled system that doesn't required stabilization since the weight and 4 points would self stabilize inside the sphere.

I'm seriously considering abandoning the 2-wheel design because the omni would both be simpler and more effective at moving around via remote (like walking at a con and driving him around fans) but I do need some intelligence to move the head in proportion to the body movement (ie. his head tilts forward slightly when he rolls forward, not backward as would happen by itself). I found this site http://www.howbb8works.com/ which is really in-depth and I like everything in it, so it's going to be a basic layout for me moving forward in building.

My biggest problem at the moment is trying to source a polypropylene or polyethylene sphere of 500mm that can be taken apart for repairs, anyone got any good suggestions other than a custom manufacturer (since they're a small fortune to order)? The head can be any plastic because it isn't going to take the abuse of driving around on various surfaces but I don't think acrylic will hold up or drive well on tiled or hardwood surfaces.

I have confirmation from friends who actually worked on the film that the BB8 droid used on set was a ball-on-a-stick puppet controlled with rods which were digitally erased.

The BB8 we saw at the Celebration convention was built specifically for the convention but was not used on set. Apparently there were a lot of nervous people backstage that weren't sure it was going to work that day. Obviously it was a huge triumph!

I just wanted to get the record straight. Sometimes we get excited and over-think how it's done for the film. For the needs of film production, they needed something that was going to work - in the desert heat, covered in sand, with no power, no special tracks, custom software, etc... A ball on a stick is reliable.

That being said - I can't wait to see what the creativity of fans produce. I want to see these guys rolling all over future conventions.

I have confirmation from friends who actually worked on the film that the BB8 droid used on set was a ball-on-a-stick puppet controlled with rods which were digitally erased.

That's interesting to hear. I can totally see this being viable/true for closeup, articulated shots, but I can't imagine this being the case for every shot?

[EDIT]: http://www.starwars.com/news/droid-...ens-team-brought-bb-8-to-life?linkId=16567772 Well I'll be darned. Pretty spot on the mark.

Last edited:
Basically we were intentionally mislead by JJ Abrams and Mark Hamill... http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=45223 . Apparently they thought they could get away with that but someone spilled the beans. Sorry folks, BB-8 is not a practical, fully functioning prop in Episode 7 as that version was not realized until after filming was done. However the fully functional version of BB-8 may be in some of it's scenes in episodes 8 and 9.

The head of the anamatronics was just on a sci-fi news site (Blastr) and confirmed that this droid was a rod puppet. No one said it was a total self contained robot, they said it was 100% practical effects... practical effects include puppets. He specifically said they worked very hard to create the one on stage where it only had to work briefly in a very controlled environment. I, personally, doubt that one will ever be used for filming. I would guess it's not rugged enough for filming. All the technical stuff aside, I think the robot is going to be cool in the movie.

"Various BB-8s were created for shooting to perform different functions: one for close-ups; a couple with stabiliser wheels; one that could be picked up and interacted with by actors; one that could be thrown into shot without tipping over; and even an old-school rod-puppet version."

Sounds pretty practical to me! I don't believe JJ/Hamill/etc ever said the one on stage was the one used in the movie, did they~?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back