Starlord's sony walkmen? guardian of the galaxy?

Finally got me a tps-l2!

20140830_010650.jpg

Thanks! Picked it up for $300. The headphones are a vintage pair of Panasonic from the early 80's. I made a few modifications to make them look more like the Sony MDR-5a.

Thanks! Picked it up for $300. The headphones are a vintage pair of Panasonic from the early 80's. I made a few modifications to make them look more like the Sony MDR-5a.
That's awesome! I really thought they were real MDR's at first! I still look for headphones. Hope I can find something this nice. I'm going to look around some flea markets and such. Also love how the tape adds to the look! Can't wait go get mine!

I have a WM-3 but decided not to modify it. I can't believe the price of these at the moment have gone through the roof. In June you could easily pick one up for the 60 - 75 range. WM-3's were around 20 - 50 depending on if they worked and condition. I think I will go the drinkman route. I believe it is a bit undersized but should work nice for costuming.

I have a WM-3 but decided not to modify it. I can't believe the price of these at the moment have gone through the roof. In June you could easily pick one up for the 60 - 75 range. WM-3's were around 20 - 50 depending on if they worked and condition. I think I will go the drinkman route. I believe it is a bit undersized but should work nice for costuming.

It is very close to being on size. I removed my sticker in this pic.

I picked up a Drinkman as well, and received it yesterday. I did however find this today while searching for reference material to paint said flask...

https://www.ultra-case.com/detail/Iphone5-Dcase-Walkman-Blue

Want pics of the TPS-L2? Check this link out for pictures http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/tpsl2/Interesting

Last edited:
Those are seriously cool. Might have to pick up one of those myself. Either that or go with the 3D replica that Teragon is working on (once his printer is up and running again). At the cheapest $300 is way too expensive for a prop because I doubt I'd be using the walkman outside of the costume. Especially since I'd be too afraid of breaking the damn thing.

this is looking good, yeah i may go the 3D replica way too. I may incorperate a nano or iphone into it. May even have my friend machine it

So I got my drinkman. The flask is simple to remove. You simply squeeze the sides of the red part next to the black and pull the black away from the body. There's no glue or anything. The plastic is cheap plastic of course. I sanded mine with 150 grit to give the primer something to stick to and the drinkman logo sanded down without issue. Be careful when sanding though as you can easily sand away features pretty quickly. I filled in the hole for the flask spout and will be filling in the other logos following the first primer sanding.

My plans for color is to spray the whole thing with a bright silver paint. Once done I'm going to paint the red area with Duplicolor anodize blue without their base. Once complete I will spray the whole thing in a flat clear to dull it down. Before final paint I may add a cheap MP3 player to it to make it functional. If I go the MP3 route I will fill the cavity of the drinkman as opening it up as is would cause problems with the paint. This would then require a small opening for the player in the back. We'll just have to see how far I go with it.

I'm working on a Walkman as well. I started off with a a Radio Shack "Realistic" brand personal cassette recorder. It isn't an exact match, the door and buttons are flipped. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409957453.195078.jpg
It also has a radio dial that needed to be filled in with green putty.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409957538.787750.jpg
I airbrushed it today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409957563.245138.jpg
The blue is probably too bright but I like how it looks anyhow.

I'd love to know the colors or technique behind how you painted that up.

I used a combination of 3 different products. After cutting out the window with a dremel and giving everything a light sanding I sprayed it all down with a product called Krylon Looking Glass. Then I used Testors Arctic Blue Metallic Spray Enamel and then while still wet gave it a light dusting of the Model Masters Nassau Blue Metallic Lacquer. I was a little worried about mixing enamel and lacquer, but both fully cured without bubbling or cracking and I ended up with a nice dull metallic finish. It's not an exact match to the tps-l2, but fairly close. I finished the detail on the arrow and text with brushed testors silver enamel. Then I added a SONY badge from an old speaker I had lying around the house.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back