DIY Back to the Future 2 Jacket

Looks really cool :)

Is there a possibility to stitch the mat to the jacket as opposed to using glue? The glue is a bit of an eyesore. Stitching the edges could give it a clean finished look.

Maybe I will give this a try myself doing the sewing method.

Great idea and tutorial. Thanks for posting it up :)

Looks really cool :)

Is there a possibility to stitch the mat to the jacket as opposed to using glue? The glue is a bit of an eyesore. Stitching the edges could give it a clean finished look.

Maybe I will give this a try myself doing the sewing method.

Great idea and tutorial. Thanks for posting it up :)

If I recall the material it's VERY difficult to stitch because it falls apart. Wouldn't be impossible though. Perhaps a heavy coat of spray adhesive?

Looks great!

You could try spray painting some test material ( in acrylic maybe? )
to get the grey your looking for. Or use the felt material for the
right color.

Spray glue does not work. Trust me, I've tried it.

To be honest I don't doubt it. Although it was worth a shot as it would have been really clean! :)

What other glues are there that might work and be cleaner? It would be really time consuming but you could theoretically superglue it on with about a million tiny beads of glue...

To be honest I don't doubt it. Although it was worth a shot as it would have been really clean! :)

What other glues are there that might work and be cleaner? It would be really time consuming but you could theoretically superglue it on with about a million tiny beads of glue...

I am going to try to use Fabric Glue. I'll see how it goes.

Has anyone tried ShoeGoo, but applied to the back of the mat using an ink brayer? (Used exactly how you would normally use a brayer: Goo on a slab, brayer pushed through it, rolled on slab until consistent, then applied to the mat)

That would be the direction I would try, but I don't know how successful it would be.

-Nick

Has anyone tried ShoeGoo, but applied to the back of the mat using an ink brayer? (Used exactly how you would normally use a brayer: Goo on a slab, brayer pushed through it, rolled on slab until consistent, then applied to the mat)

That would be the direction I would try, but I don't know how successful it would be.

-Nick

That is actually a good idea. I might try that on some scrap. Thanks.

Since I will be selling these, I do have time constraints. And if I did that I would have to charge more for the labor.

I bought some charcoal colored Fabric Spray Paint and made a test "pocket"

Here is the color difference of the black foam and new charcoal colored foam. The paint also gives the foam a "rubber" type texture:

I bought some charcoal colored Fabric Spray Paint and made a test "pocket"

Here is the color difference of the black foam and new charcoal colored foam. The paint also gives the foam a "rubber" type texture:

Looks great Brad!!

Is the pattern of your no skid mat different? It looks slightly different. Maybe it is just different depending on the side you use?

Looks great Brad!!

Is the pattern of your no skid mat different? It looks slightly different. Maybe it is just different depending on the side you use?

Nope, same matting:

DSC00120.jpg

diy-back-future-2-jacket-dsc04887.jpg-111551d1346791379

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back