Steel and copper Halo 4 light rifle. Work in progress

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful! :D

I had another couple of question on the lights if you don't mind. How fragile would you say that bit is? And on your blog, it looks like there's some sort of clear tube around the glass/epoxy crusted cathode lights. What is that material?

I'm not going to lie, $10k is very high for any replica unless it's a screen-used piece or something like a replica set/vehicle (or similarly size piece).

Please don't offense to this though. The biggest difference is that your piece falls almost into a grey area where it goes from not just being a "replica" but essentially a work of art given the advanced nature of how you fabricated it. So the $10k value you put on it sounds fair from a particular perspective (not a lot of people think this way, but merely take it at face-value); it's a one-of a kind piece, I don't think you're ever going to make a second one, the materials and services you rendered to get the pieces cut ain't cheap and then your labor for not just constructing it, but designing it as well.

I can certainly agree that you should make your money back and then some for the piece. While I like to collect higher-end halo replicas myself, this is way above my paygrade unfortunately. I think you're best bet would be to find higher-tier art collectors. I'm pretty sure there's a group just like that, especially for metal-based pieces. So, just being realistic for your benefit, I cannot see it being a feasible sale on OUR side of the community. It's not to say that someone won't, it's just going to be extremely difficult to find that one person who will pay you what you want out of it. You did a phenomenal job with it, and blew everyone's minds away, that's for sure, but I hope you can get what you want for it. Hell, I'd even show it off to 343i directly, and maybe you'll perk their interest in acquiring it.

Hey Tuba,
I really appreciate the compliments and the candor. I have a lot of the same feelings myself. I have no idea who is insane enough to pay that kind of money for a non-functioning laser gun. On the other hand, I was crazy enough to spend the time and money making it so I have my fingers crossed that someone would be interested. I can of course sell it for less but one likes to dream right? I had thought maybe I could get 343 interested but I havent been able to make contact yet.
Outside of a sale I thought maybe it could get linked into some sort of charity deal or perhaps a giveaway situation...sort of like that chopper they gave away to one gears of war3 purchaser.
-I really have no idea. I have no idea how to sell something like this. My big fear is that I will part ways with it and then people will say "Are you kidding? Do you realize what you should have gotten for that?"
Thanks again man.

Hey Tuba,
I really appreciate the compliments and the candor. I have a lot of the same feelings myself. I have no idea who is insane enough to pay that kind of money for a non-functioning laser gun. On the other hand, I was crazy enough to spend the time and money making it so I have my fingers crossed that someone would be interested. I can of course sell it for less but one likes to dream right? I had thought maybe I could get 343 interested but I havent been able to make contact yet.
Outside of a sale I thought maybe it could get linked into some sort of charity deal or perhaps a giveaway situation...sort of like that chopper they gave away to one gears of war3 purchaser.
-I really have no idea. I have no idea how to sell something like this. My big fear is that I will part ways with it and then people will say "Are you kidding? Do you realize what you should have gotten for that?"
Thanks again man.

I can understand the hesitation and the fear of parting with it. Ultimately, it's your decision on what to do with the piece. I can attest to having "seller's remorse" a few times on my own commissions in the past...it's not an easy feeling letting something go that you worked very hard on.

As for contacting 343i, I'd suggest going through twitter or through other social media. Getting exposure for something like this would ultimately be something you'd need if you're looking for a better chance at selling it. I could even pass this along through email with some other website, something like I09 I could see making an article on this.

As for charity? I can see this being an option. I didn't initially bring this up as it would essentially mean you're giving it away, free of charge on YOUR end. I feel that Child's Play would be ideal for a charity auction as they've done a few auctions of Halo prop replicas, most notably a Sean Bradley ODST helmet

But yea, I'm only suggesting as I did because I don't want to give you a run-around or false-hope? It's an art piece and you should treat it as such. It's also your "baby," so you've gotta do what you feel is best for you.

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful! :D

I had another couple of question on the lights if you don't mind. How fragile would you say that bit is? And on your blog, it looks like there's some sort of clear tube around the glass/epoxy crusted cathode lights. What is that material?

I don't mind at all. I like talking about it.
-I am guessing on how fragile that piece is here. I haven't tested it of course. I mounted the lighting in soft rubber gaskets with a fair amount of give so I think if the piece was dropped the lights would be very very likely to survive. If the light was out in the open on its own and you dropped it I think it would survive. But I don't think it could handle much more than that. Each of the two segments have two lights inside so if one fails its not a complete disaster. I also designed the piece so that the lights could be replaced if need be (although I would have to manufacture a new piece). I think the gaskets area big help in absorbing shock and the lights are set into the metal framework in a way that I think it unlikely anything would ever strike them. That being said...I would advise serious caution to the new owner. For that matter, dropping a 28 lb steel piece sounds like bad news all around.

-The tube is...wait. The photos on the blog of the lighting are of an earlier build which I had to abandon. At one point the lights where inside a glass tube (which at one point was filled with honey to help create the glow look-In fact, an earlier iteration was filled with molten gummy bears!) None of that worked out. It was a disaster.
The current design is lights,tape,clear plastic tubing,theater gel for color,epoxy,glass bits. The plastic is....polycarbonate or acrylic. Not sure which. I just realized that I ommitted mentioning the plastic tube in the earlier post. Sorry!.

-I have to update the blog with more photos and mention that the glass tube design is obsolete.

BTW-I love the Starlord poster. I love that movie.
Thanks again.

More pics of the completed project
IMG_5938.jpgIMG_5948.jpgIMG_5973.jpgIMG_5982.jpgIMG_5984.jpgIMG_5988.jpgIMG_5993.jpgIMG_6000.jpg

Naughty Zoot,

That is beautiful. You should be rightly proud. Your $10K asking price is a bargain. Minus the $2,500 in materials, that leaves $7,500 for 500 hours of labor. You are not going to get rich on $15 an hour. I'm certain your price tag falls well under a Harrison Krix (Volpin) replica. The market is out there.

My Spartan Laser took 900 hours and around $2,000 in parts and tooling. Like you, it had to be the best possible replica in the right materials. I'd have a hard time coming up with a number to part with it.

I'd love to see this in person. Epic work. Good luck with it.

Redshirt98

Wow. Thank you so much Redshirt. That means a lot. I definitely have my fingers crossed for a good sale. The piece is now on Technabob and twitter so hopefully that helps with some exposure. I was thinking about putting a listing on Etsy and maybe eventually ebay.

-But I just watched your Splaser videos and saw the pics. Holy Crap! That is freaking amazing!!!!! Great job my friend. When I first looked at it I thought "OK it looks cool but isn't he going to get gunned down by guys with regular airsoft because his splaser is more awkward? NOPE! You made that thing a freakin BB hose! I'm SO happy that it kicked ass on the game field. with that much work you deserve to kick serious ass. Way to go!!!
Thank you for the comment and compliments. It is really helpful to get others input on what things are worth and how to approach the market. I LOVE my piece but for me loving it also means getting it to the right home.

I did a set of femsHep armor and a valkyrie rifle for my wife a couple of years back and we sold it to a fan who was overjoyed. His love for the game and for the work we created was a huge payoff and I'm happy to think he has it on display somewhere instead of it sitting and collecting dust in our closet.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back