The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

I like Orcrist, I just don't agree with the direction they went on it. My understanding was that Glamdring and Orcrist were sister blades and thus should be of similar design. This Orcrist looks more like Sting, which was just some random dagger.

I agree. IMO, even swords that are sister blades shouldn't look almost identical. Save minor details, this looks like Sting cut in half lengthwise, with a different hand grip. It's just not as creative as I hoped from Weta.

Nothing in The Hobbit book indicates they were sister blades, or of similar design, just that they were both made by the High Elves in Gondolin and used in the Goblin-wars. The only descriptive reference is that they both had jeweled hilts.

Checking with LOTR and The Silmarillion, both spellings are used (possibly misspelled in the '93 and the '01 Editions?).
It was originally spelled Aiglos in LOTR, but was revised to Aeglos in the Silmarillion because aeg means 'point' in Sindarin. Los is snow, so aeg-los is point-snow. The spears names was translated as icicle.

It is supposed to be spelled in aeg in new editions of FOTR. One of the many revisions by Tolkien to make the books more consistent as the languages were refined, although aeg has another definition too, so it was not exactly clarified. I don't think aig is a Sindarin word.

Sorry, useless Tolkien trivia.

Budk.com has a few of the new Hobbi weapons up for pre-order: Budk.com - Search Results for Hobbit

Interesting description for Gandalf's staff: "...Within the crown, the wood has grown around a hollow, white lattice-shaped bulb. The lattice is vaguely Elven in design, and holds a great power..."

Hrmmm... Seems to me to be hinting at Gandalf the White's staff... Curious.

Nothing in The Hobbit book indicates they were sister blades, or of similar design, just that they were both made by the High Elves in Gondolin and used in the Goblin-wars. The only descriptive reference is that they both had jeweled hilts.

From Fellowship, Book II, Chapter III:

"Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain."

Mates, sisters, close enough. My point is that to my reading Orcrist should resemble Glamdring more than it should Sting. True, it's not a Hobbit quote, I'm still looking for one. I know my LotR better than Hobbit :)

Re: shoes question again please?

why is it so rare to come by designer childrens foot wear? I have been searching for the shoe from the local market but can’t seem to find them. The few e-stores that stock the shoes sell them at very high prices. This has caused lots of confusion on my part as I want to buy the kids shoes.

legolas.bmp

I just got an email from Forbidden Planet with this link in it, apparently the Noble Collection are also doing a Gandalf the Grey staff, however the top of theirs lights up. Thoughts? Whose is gonna be better, Noble or UC? I assume Noble's will be oversold and then they'll stop producing them, just like last time.

SO MUCH CHOICE SO LITTLE MONEY. :confused :confused :confused

UC's is from the moulds of the actual staff prop. Noble's will probably be less detailed, though the light up function seems nice...

...Weta is also releasing their Wizard Staff line sometime ,I hope!

Maybe I should wait and hope for a new LOTR Gandalf staff, it's more coller than the Hobbit staff I think...

And again, I hate it when this happens: $160 for the Noble staff, but here in Germany 250€? $350, almost 200 bucks more than the US price?

Can't be... And we have a german Noble page, especially for sales around here... So, 200 more just for get this staff from one country to another? Man, time for making friends in the US... :unsure

now, i'm pretty new here, and i'm not entirely sure if this is the correct thread to ask this, but if i wanted to recreate any of these swords without using actual metal/steel, would anyone know of any good tricks or tips to getting that polished steel look? i was thinking i would make a fiberglass cast of the sword and maybe take it to a chroming shop, but i'm not sure if that would look correct.

my apologies if this is the wrong thread to discuss this.

I just got an email from Forbidden Planet with this link in it, apparently the Noble Collection are also doing a Gandalf the Grey staff, however the top of theirs lights up. Thoughts? Whose is gonna be better, Noble or UC? I assume Noble's will be oversold and then they'll stop producing them, just like last time.

SO MUCH CHOICE SO LITTLE MONEY. :confused :confused :confused

While I like the idea of illuminating the crown, I took a close look at catalog pictures of the Noble Collection Staff and it looks like there is going to be a seam for the battery access panel. That alone is enough to turn me away from the NC staff. Being that both versions have an MSRP for 159.99, I figure I might as well go with the less toyish looking one. I still find it odd that both companies are selling practically the same item for the same price.

While I like the idea of illuminating the crown, I took a close look at catalog pictures of the Noble Collection Staff and it looks like there is going to be a seam for the battery access panel. That alone is enough to turn me away from the NC staff. Being that both versions have an MSRP for 159.99, I figure I might as well go with the less toyish looking one. I still find it odd that both companies are selling practically the same item for the same price.

Not to mention it may be a bit short, the description says "over 5 feet tall" and the UC is over 6 ft

Hmmm, but I want an illuminating crown... :lol

As far as I see, these are only preview pictures. I hope someone is ordering a noble staff and will take some reference pics...

No problem with the UC staff, if that one will look closer. After all, the noble staff isn't in preorder anywhere in european shops...

Hope UC is making a new fellowship staff in close future, that would be awesome...

I attended the World Premiere screening. Gandalf's staff is very very different, so we'll have to see what happens later on.
The Arkenstone indeed makes an appearance briefly. It is quite fantastical looking, but a replica of that might be tricky to look as it does in the movie

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back