New Tomenosuke Blaster Pro "Retail" version

Hey guys,
i just signed up on the waiting list for Hollwood Collectibles and the Japanese site. I'm relatively new to this prop and I was wondering what my chances are of getting one?? And yes I'm watching Blade Runner right now

Re: New Tomenosuke Blaster Pro "Retail" version

Thanks! Couldn't help myself. Lol. Going to give the kit the polished silver with clear grips treatment.

Anyone got an update on a metal barrel run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that same thought, let me give you the benefit of my experience. I polished it to a the level of 7000 wet grit and liquid polish but I just couldn't get it to a shine where it didn't show fine scratches in the light. Also, Zinc is an incredibly reactive metal and dulls very quickly. I sent it to a professional polisher in London who had carried out work for Damien hirst. They said they would mirror polish it then send it out to have it laquered. There is only one company in the whole of the UK that could laquer it and the cost would be £800!. It's not quite as simple as just spraying laquer on. Due to the huge cost, I gave up on the idea. Then I took it to a local metal plater with the idea of having it chrome or nickel plated. It turns out that Zinc cannot be plated. Zinc may be great for Die-casting, but it's a ******* for everything else. In the end I gave up and blued it. I eventually got the blueing perfect, but as zinc is difficult to blue it took me four attempts. May I suggest taking it to gunsmiths and having them do it. Be very careful with it. There is a very weak point on the reciever under the bolt lever. Best of luck with it, friend. I would love to hear what you decide, and to see it finished. Please keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Couldn't help myself. Lol. Going to give the kit the polished silver with clear grips treatment.

Bear in mind, adding a metal barrel changes the weight distribution, making it feel very front heavy, not a problem if you only intend to display it.

I had that same thought, let me give you the benefit of my experience. I polished it to a the level of 7000 wet grit and liquid polish but I just couldn't get it to a shine where it didn't show fine scratches in the light. Also, Zinc is an incredibly reactive metal and dulls very quickly. I sent it to a professional polisher in London who had carried out work for Damien hirst. They said they would mirror polish it then send it out to have it laquered. There is only one company in the whole of the UK that could laquer it and the cost would be £800!. It's not quite as simple as just spraying laquer on. Due to the huge cost, I gave up on the idea. Then I took it to a local metal plater with the idea of having it chrome or nickel plated. It turns out that Zinc cannot be plated. Zinc may be great for Die-casting, but it's a ******* for everything else. In the end I gave up and blued it. I eventually got the blueing perfect, but as zinc is difficult to blue it took me four attempts. May I suggest taking it to gunsmiths and having them do it. Be very careful with it. There is a very weak point on the reciever under the bolt lever. Best of luck with it, friend. I would love to hear what you decide, and to see it finished. Please keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Bear in mind, adding a metal barrel changes the weight distribution, making it feel very front heavy, not a problem if you only intend to display it.

Ok cool, thanks so much for the advice! Wow, I thought it would be a lot easier than that. Was just going to pop down to the local metal polishes and get them to mirror finish it. So a lot of food for thought there. I've never worked with zinc so a definite learning curve coming my way. If it was highly polished and not clear coated, what would happen?

Any idea on how they pulled off this beauty???

Silver 1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes true. I'm not super precious about swapping out the barrel as I've also got a Coyle on order. So, what is the best way to prep and paint the Tomenosuke barrel to look like metal? Brand of paint, etc? Thanks guys.

The receiver is most likely Zamac 3 , Not pure zink , and should plate very well. It it used extensively for die cast. That is plated or painted.

These parts should polish up very well after removing seams etc.
prob. The best for long term plating would be best. Remember that the cylinder covers, butt plate etc are aluminum . Will also plate but may require matching.

You could simply polish and clear coat. They make some nice bare metal clear coats. Not too difficult. And not 800£ ! Wow. A can costs maybe $12. If you don.t like it. Only $12 lost !

If you did not clear the Zamak and aluminum. They will eventually oxidize. Turn gray.

Last edited:

View attachment 403967

- - - Updated - - -

Yes true. I'm not super precious about swapping out the barrel as I've also got a Coyle on order. So, what is the best way to prep and paint the Tomenosuke barrel to look like metal? Brand of paint, etc? Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

there are some great tutorials about finishing this prop. Look up VFXFreak. He did a great job.
If you don't use the steel barrel, the retailers kit Bulldog barrel is molded from a metal filled plastic. You can sand or scuff with 0000 steel wool and blue it.

So excited! Have ordered and paid for mine. Mune-san said that there would be one more limited release this month so can't wait! (Been on the waiting list since it opened.) Will post pics when I get it and get it assembled.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Yes you are. (green with envy)

Ok cool, thanks so much for the advice! Wow, I thought it would be a lot easier than that. Was just going to pop down to the local metal polishes and get them to mirror finish it. So a lot of food for thought there. I've never worked with zinc so a definite learning curve coming my way. If it was highly polished and not clear coated, what would happen?

Any idea on how they pulled off this beauty???

View attachment 403967

- - - Updated - - -

Yes true. I'm not super precious about swapping out the barrel as I've also got a Coyle on order. So, what is the best way to prep and paint the Tomenosuke barrel to look like metal? Brand of paint, etc? Thanks guys.

That's the same photo that inspired me. Isn't that just the most beautiful thing?. I had planned to use the black cop grips, and have set into them some gorgeous little brass Steyr badges which I found on Ebay. That was before I broke it. I'm very interested in kpax's suggestion that it may plate-able. That would, of course, be the best answer. When I polished mine, I noticed it had started to dull in three days!. The blaster in that photo would not look like that now. I did try a spray lacquer test on mine, but it looked awful, and clogged up the lettering. Perhaps you would have more knowledge and skill with this than me. This is of course, all part of the fun. Best of luck with it, pal.

Last edited:
The receiver is most likely Zamac 3 , Not pure zink , and should plate very well. It it used extensively for die cast. That is plated or painted.

These parts should polish up very well after removing seams etc.
prob. The best for long term plating would be best. Remember that the cylinder covers, butt plate etc are aluminum . Will also plate but may require matching.

You could simply polish and clear coat. They make some nice bare metal clear coats. Not too difficult. And not 800£ ! Wow. A can costs maybe $12. If you don.t like it. Only $12 lost !

If you did not clear the Zamak and aluminum. They will eventually oxidize. Turn gray.

Re-reading my comment, I see that I gave the impression that the £800 was for lacquering, my apologies. That price would have been for mirror polishing of the reciever, triggers, trigger gaurd, side covers, grip frame etc. much of which would have to be done by hand, and then lacquering. Still, shocked the hell out of me when I was told that price on the phone. Worst of all, the guy seemed surprised at my surprise!. If it turns out that you are correct, and this is not actually Zinc, and can be plated, then I will do my best to acquire another kit so that I may fulfill my dream of recreating that silver blaster. Thanks for your help, kpax.

I just found out that Rich Coyle is intending a run of all silver blasters called the "Silver ghost". Even the ammo housing will be silver metal. With high intensity blue and green lights, and a choice of amber, clear, black or white grips. I have seen some prototype pictures, and it looks incredible. All in at $1500. Could be the answer to both our prayers.

Lacquering can be tricky. Usually the first coat is " matte". Then a second or third coat gets glossy.
light coats are required to not fill the engravings tho...

you could try polishing then waxing. May be ok and is reverse able and repeatable.
Still 800£ to polish and lacquer seems like a lot. But...
Plating would be best for long term. Nickel or chrome. Getting harder to find sources for plating. Harsh chems.
Good luck either way you go.

Facebook post.jpg
CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY!

NOW IN STOCK FOR IMMEDIATE DELIVERY!

We have officially secured a limited quantity of these for Christmas. They are IN STOCK and ready to ship from our warehouse in Florida. So if you are on the fence and do not want to order from overseas, you can place an order at the link below and your order ships from the U.S. :)

For more details on the item and for order info:
http://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/store/product.php?productid=16495&cat=0&page

I'm unfortunately selling my kit...need cash more than the kit...I'm gonna try to pick up a finished model someplace, some time...

Hey mfletch80! I just finished putting my Tom Blaster together. I plan to take it apart again to blue the barrel, etc. and polish them. I also want to add a little bit of wear to it. I hope you can answer a couple questions for me. How does the trigger mechanism work? On mine, the front trigger works fine but the rear trigger will only trigger once. Then I have to reset the connection between the two triggers. Did I miss something in the assembly?

Second, how far should the slide come back when opened? Mine doesn't slide very well and I don't know how best to clean it up so it will.

Lastly, do you have any issues with the cylinder not coming out when released? This seems to be an issue when I put the bullets in the cylinder. I just can't get it fully open afterward.

Any advice or suggestions? I love this kit and am so glad to finally have one. I'm eyeing that last one on HCG if I could just raise the funds!

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide!

Eric

Clutch: Definitely. That was the hardest part for me and I don't think I got it right. I can only squeeze one shot off with the rear trigger. The front trigger seems to work fine although it doesn't do anything with hammer mechanism. Not sure if it's supposed to.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back