1:4 Scale Ghostbusters Ghost Trap

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Way back in 2007 or 2008 (I forget when) I decided I was going to build a trap 100% from scratch, using no found parts. So I would make the knobs, Foster connector, resistor, Vector plate and everything from scratch. At the time I was testing my own hero trap plans (which have been abandoned now as I am FINALLY going to get started on accurate all aluminum hero traps).

The trap was never 100% completed and everything is just held together with double sided tape, though I did finally paint most of it to show off at the Toronto Prop Parties the past few years.

So with that said, here are some pics!

trap-1.jpg
trap-2.jpg

trap-3.jpg

trap-4.jpg

trap-5.jpg

trap-6.jpg

trap-7.jpg

trap-8.jpg

One point of possible interest is this...

It's 1:4 scale, the quarter is a pun as well as to show scale! ;)

trap-9.jpg

Here are some of the progress pics showing more of the details.
It's almost all styrene with the exception of the side rods, handle tube, and cosmetic plates which are aluminum.
I used appropriately scaled material thicknesses in 99% of it (cartridge walls are thicker).
The LED is a 2mm blinking one crappy video of it blinking which has a magnetic reed switch attached so when I put the trap on a magnet it blinks.
The Foster is made from a little brass bolt which was the correct size for the hex part and I turned some brass rod for the nipple part and glued them together.

trap-prog-aug18-16.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-17.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-18.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-19.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-13-1.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-15.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-12.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-09.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-11.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-04.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-05.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-03.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-01.jpg

trap-prog-aug18-10.jpg

trap-compare-4.jpg

trap-compare-3.jpg

resistor-1.jpg

resistor-2.jpg

close-up.jpg

pedal.jpg

knobs-1.jpg

tear-knob-4.jpg

I didn't get many of the construction process but here's a pic to sort of show how I did both the vector plates and the resistor. Basically I milled layers of styrene to the right thickness for both a rib and a valley, milled a step along the edge, then stacked a crapload of them side buy side.

construction.jpg

For the tear drop knob and the 2 round front knobs I did this process where I turned a piece of styrene rod down to the right diameter for the "inside" of the knob, then put a bunch of smaller rods around the outside.

tear-drop-prog-1.jpg

tear-drop-prog-2.jpg

tear-drop-prog-4.jpg

This trap was meant to go with another project which was started but not finished which I intend to return to soon!

clippards-2.jpg

clippards-3.jpg

clippards-5.jpg

cyclo-1.jpg

cyclo-2.jpg

cyclo-3.jpg

cyclo-5.jpg

cyclo-6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. In the first post, even though the subject said 1:4 scale, I thought it was a real gold resistor, so assumed those were reference pics.

So what was the reason behind making them quarter-scale? Is there perhaps an 18" tall doll you were making them for?

Alex

Wow! That is really, really awesome work. I've always wanted a replica GB trap, but the only ones available are all full size, which is just too big for me. The 1/4 size is great!

Looks great. In the first post, even though the subject said 1:4 scale, I thought it was a real gold resistor, so assumed those were reference pics.

So what was the reason behind making them quarter-scale? Is there perhaps an 18" tall doll you were making them for?

Heh heh, yeah I intentionally took photos where I tried to hide the scale! ;)

Originally I just wanted the challenge of building to scale since, I hadn't tried it before so I thought I'd give it a go. The end goal is to create a desktop/shelf sized display with a 1:4 scale pack and trap for those who don't have the room or desire for the full sized pieces. I never finished the trap because I was constantly revising my trap plans/diagrams, now that I am finally going to be moving forward with all aluminum hero traps I'll finally have plans that I am happy with and can move forward!

John, that is some of the neatest work ive ever seen. The shots of the trap on the credit card really floored me, its just so awesome.

Oh and that metal cyclotron is a work of art!

Id love a kit of that trap.

Thanks Nick! Hopefully kits will come at some point. I have a bunch of better ideas for building new prototypes/masters, I aim to improve it all as there are things I am not happy with!

Thanks for the great compliments guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm quite looking forward to returning to the project finally!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back