Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

I was thinking of buying an XL coat or even a 2X to make sure I would have long enough sleeves and also enough fabric to be able to take in the coat and all. You're 6'2" and a small fit well? Nice! I wish they'd get the things back in stock. Someone is selling some on ebay for waaaay beyond what they go for. No way am I paying that much. Do you have any photos of you wearing it? It seems impossible to find photos of people wearing the things online except for the promo pics.

I'm 6'1" and wear a 42 jacket. I got the large so that it would fit over a suit jacket if I decided to do the full costume, but it fits me well without the suit jacket as well. I also have monkey arms, and the arm length on the coat is pretty much perfect.

This is without a suit jacket underneath:

20161204_024454.jpgIMG-20161116-WA0015.jpgIMG-20161116-WA0016.jpg

Wow! That actually looks really good!! A Hot Topic near me had one XL left the other day. I should have driven the nearly 2 hours and got it. ARGH. I hope they still have it. If they do I'll call them today and have them hold it. Just removing the embroidery makes a huge improvement!

Last edited:
Just a couple reference photos of the inside of the movie coat, a bit edited for lighting:

6nLw0vM.jpg

fFfsAAM.jpg

You can't tell in these pics too well, but the inside is a nice olive green color, it's very visible when he sits down on the bench next to Kowalski in the bank after following the niffler inside.

Just a couple reference photos of the inside of the movie coat, a bit edited for lighting:

http://i.imgur.com/6nLw0vM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fFfsAAM.jpg

You can't tell in these pics too well, but the inside is a nice olive green color, it's very visible when he sits down on the bench next to Kowalski in the bank after following the niffler inside.

I don't know why but those links from imgur never show for me, unless I quote your post. But those are good shots. Looks like he has a bunch of pockets inside the coat too!

Just called thr local place about a Hot Topic coat. They have one left and are holding it for me! Wooo! Tomorrow I go to pick it up. Lining will be replaced and used for the lining inside his suitcase I plan to make. I'm commissioning a friend of mine to do some mods on the coat, like replace it with proper color lining and take it in here and there for me. I'm getting an XL so hopefully it has a bit more fabric to it to allow for a mod or two to get the back to skirt out some.

Last edited:
I don't know why but those links from imgur never show for me, unless I quote your post. But those are good shots. Looks like he has a bunch of pockets inside the coat too!

Just called thr local place about a Hot Topic coat. They have one left and are holding it for me! Wooo! Tomorrow I go to pick it up. Lining will be replaced and used for the lining inside his suitcase I plan to make. I'm commissioning a friend of mine to do some mods on the coat, like replace it with proper color lining and take it in here and there for me. I'm getting an XL so hopefully it has a bit more fabric to it to allow for a mod or two to get the back to skirt out some.

Sorry I haven't been on in forever (holidays are ridiculous). You got really lucky with the coat! I've been talking to hot topics in PA and NJ and they seem to only be showing up at certain stores. Glad you're going to get it!

Here's a before and after of my coat, after VERY CAREFULLY using a stitch ripper and tweezers to remove the embroidery. This actually took me a few days and wasn't easy, as the coat fabric is very easy to snag.

View attachment 687899

That actually came out fantastic! I may need to have a go at my coat now.

Got my coat today. XL size. Unfortunately for clothing purposes, I have really long arms. Going to track down a second coat and use the material from it to make longer sleeves.

Untitled-1 copy.png

Like I said before, I'm 6'3- 6'4" and have really long arms.

Not overly familiar with hot topic as I'm from the UK - but had a look on eBay for one of the Newt jackets and they seem to be listed at almost $300!
The website seems to be out of stock as well, were these particularly limited?

Not overly familiar with hot topic as I'm from the UK - but had a look on eBay for one of the Newt jackets and they seem to be listed at almost $300!
The website seems to be out of stock as well, were these particularly limited?
I'm guessing that, since they had them manufactured before the movie was released, they made a rather limited supply since they didn't know how popular it would be. I bet they'll re-stock since they mostly sold out of all of them in a couple weeks.

I'm guessing that, since they had them manufactured before the movie was released, they made a rather limited supply since they didn't know how popular it would be. I bet they'll re-stock since they mostly sold out of all of them in a couple weeks.

Makes sense. I'm out in the states from the 28th till the 7th, may have to see if I can find a Hot Topic around the New Jersey area and try my luck.

Call around every Hot Topic you're willing to drive to if you want one of these. I managed to get 2. One was a 4 hour round trip, the other wasn't far off from that. They will hold them for 24 hours if you can't make it same day. I had to buy two because my arms aren't long enough as I said above, and the fabric from one is going to be used to improve the look of the other. The coat actually has a nice good weight to it and the color looks good, but it has __ big problems.

The lining is wrong.

The buttons are wrong.

The fabric itself is wrong, but it's workable.

The coat doesn't skirt in the back as has been mentioned in this topic.

The pockets are badly made in that the lining shows along the sides of the seams and the side spacing of the pocket seams are too narrow.

The weird embroidery needs to go from the top pocket.

The top pocket isn't shaped properly.

There are too many buttons and button holes on the front. There's only one button and one button hole on the front of his coat, so using thread from a second coat, or from a coat itself, you might be able to try to remove the holes by stitching a pattern similar to the coats weave.

Actually, the screen used coat has two button holes, one on the left and one on the right. It has no buttons attached. The button you see is actually a double ended toggle that's sick through the right button hole.

Here's a comparison shots of that toggle (which is easily confused for a button, since it's made from two buttons tied together).
You can see that the toggle is pulled out in one shot, and pulled in on the other.
button.jpg

Ah, so it's not really a normal button, interesting... .

Still, the coat itself still has 4 other button holes that will need to be removed / stitched shut .

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fabric mentioned about is close but I think his is more like a Broken Herringbone Twill, like this, but it's really hard to find and not cheap.

15337470_10206293296885238_2723321104654927366_n.jpg

I've found places that make it, but it's not made wide enough to make sections of the coat.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back