A novices Deagostini Falcon

craig g

Sr Member
Hi
I've built and painted a few models over the years. And they haven't come out too bad in my opinion anyway. Lol
I've subscribed to the Deagostini Build the Falcon and I've received up to issue 26
To be honest I'm frightened of ruining it.
The largest model I've built and painted is a 1/48 Finemolds X wing so to paint on such a large canvas is quite intimidating
Especially after viewing the threads on this very site.
Any tips or suggestions please?

Last edited:
Re: Scared of my Deagostini Falcon

The great thing about this kit is that it comes in stages and it takes about two years to collect all the parts. You can build it as the parts come and or at your own pace. There is no rush to complete it.
Everyone has different skill sets when it comes to anything. Some have a natural ability while others may take years to master.
You can follow many of the great build threads already started as they have great tricks and tips that may help you on your build journey.
Expect to make mistakes along the way and last but not least... as long as you do your best and you like the outcome that is all that matters.

Thanks
Been looking at the threads and am interested in trying Darkview's technique with the oil and Tamiya weathering sets
Just hope that I can match the image of the completed build that I have in my head
I want a Falcon replica not going for a replica of the filming prop. If that makes sense.

You should be able to pick up the Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon (AKA the BMF) for peanuts compared to the Deagostini. Its similar in size, so you can practice on that before moving on to the much more expensive model.

You should be able to pick up the Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon (AKA the BMF) for peanuts compared to the Deagostini. Its similar in size, so you can practice on that before moving on to the much more expensive model.

Last time I looked the BMF was 200+ USD on the sec market. Maybe the large Rebels Falcon may be better suited for painting training purposes.

Nice I have just brought one, good to see any photos of how you tackle the weathering.

Here's my advice - just go for it.

One of the great things a bout SW ships is that they are messy. As long as you take some care to get the paint right it will likely at the very least be passable.

Advice on getting the paint right - follow some of the threads around here. Follow Steve Dymso's you tube vids... get as much reference as you can...Follow your heart. if you're worried about spray painting or airbrushing - practice a bit. Old soda bottles - anything plastic can be used to practice on. First learn to make a "clean" paintjob. Once you have a few of those then try weathering. Know this going in - EVERYONE has a difference style/preference for weathering. After you play with it a while - you will too :D. Don't be afraid... if you've screwed up - what is lost - a smooth painted 2-liter bottle? and also remember - only YOU know where the mistakes are 99% of everyone else will look at whatever model it is, and think its awesome... because it will be, even if it has flaws.

Jedi Dade

Here is a 1/144 Falcon I did a few years ago and the 1/48 X-wing I mentioned

LCrKRSG.jpg

hLe1dnp.jpg

7bqe76H.jpg

YLd79pG.jpg

I think that I could improve drastically on both of them now, after following the threads of the awesome builds here.
You guys are so talented and I can only hope to try to learn from you.

Last edited:

I won't know till I do it, no point in testing yet, I've got my 5 foot panels planned for January but will have to be lighter fir that as the scale is about the same as a 20foot wide falcon and it's based on the ANH paintwork , the 32 I've never done so will do tests when it's time but am thinking of having my own mix done then colour matched locally into a lacquer based spray

I'm painting 5 of them when theyre built so if your prepared to wait I'll be documenting the process

I'll definitely be watching your thread but I'll hopefully have started mine by then

Last edited:

Dude you'll do fine but I feel your thread will not be allowed soon here as its a build thread for studio scale models in construction.

Ahhh - He's asking for advice on the DeAgostini... I think its OK here. we just need to stop moving the topic and get back to advice on building the damn thing :)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back