Real Luke ESB Screws Found Parts?

I just got a call from Roy today about that Kobold clip ... and when we discussed options I looked at that side-screw in the whatever-it's-called that's holding those tiny metal balls inside ... guess what? ;) . . . It's really close ... to the screw used on top of Luke's ESB graflex except it looks just a bit to high ... besides I would need 6 real vintage Kobolds to finish just 1 Luke ESB and at a going rate of $300 per Kobold that's a little to rich ... even for me :wacko

Kobold-screw_zps20271347.JPG

Chaim

Last edited:
There is an artifact on the original ANH Luke lightsaber that I don't think is on the ESB saber making me think it's a new Graflex. It's more likely that whatever the circuit card was housed in provided the screws.

I'm curious about this too - and honestly the fastener bin idea is more realistic IMO, I do that myself when I strip things down for custom parts...sort them into bins and I have one full of screws. I've used it the same way too - trying to put grips on.

So show me your bins with screws and I will tell which one looks screen-accurate enough ... the more weathered and vintage the better ... of course ;)

Chaim

If you have clean, pristine screws, drop them in some white vinegar for a few minutes....they'll look 30 years old in no time!
I accidentally spilled some vinegar on a brand new scalpel blade and after half an hour it looked like someone had dug it out of a long neglected garden!

Rich

So...I once bought an Exactra 22 or something and found out some don't even have LED bubble displays...but they have the same screws! I'll post pics later, but I now have two of these screws for my own saber.

I also just haggled an Exactra 21 for cheap, so that's 4, and it'll be here within a week or two.

I then....bid on a really cheap Spirit of '76 TI calculator that has the same type body and 4 screws. they look the same, if they are, Chaim, you can have my 2 extra..if I win lol

I like this idea, I like the SRS saber and I couldn't seem to find screws in between a wood screw and a VHS screw in size...until now!

Ha, ha nice going Tom, ... as for those screws ... I have about 7 untouched exactra's ... one other has gotten replacement screws since the originals went to join the other 4 that NeoRutty found ... so I'm good for now thanks :) Looking forward to seeing lots of finished G R A F L E X based Luke ESB sabers this year ... including my very own ... which I guess is quite about time :wacko

Chaim

Did you finish your ESB already, NeoRutty?

Chaim

Mine is so close to done!

Alas, all I need to do is get my buddy in the States to drill me some holes. I refuse to use anything but his drill press as I tried once without, and it was a disaster.

It's currently at his place, in a box with my ROTJ vader base that needs countersunk holes, and I won't be back there until July.

It should have happened when I visited at Christmas, but we ended up getting too jolly with the spirits and didn't get around to it.

He's very meticulous, and even a simple job like the ESB saber, he'll go to astounding lengths to make sure there's no way anything will slip and wreck a flash or T-track.

Hey,

Wondering if anybody knows the dimensions of these exactra screws? I swear I have some similar tucked away in a pot somewhere from various junk stripdowns. Will also buy some old junk from charity shops just to have "spiritually correct/vintage found part" :lol if need be

Whats the length, shaft diameter and head size? (of the screws, people!)

Also what do we think of the black upper grip screws?

Hi there and welcome aboard ... my Exactra screws have a 5mm head, are 16mm long and about 2,5mm in shaft diameter ... and I don't like the upper screws, which are metal in colour according to this next picture ... so there you are :)

Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Orig...JPG

Chaim

Last edited:
Thanks! Will start hunting some appropriate looking screws of that size. I'm worried newer, shiner screws will look too out of place.

Slowly gathering info for my first prop build (esb saber hopefully). Is there any archive of bluray screencaps for the saber?

It's the so-called Ranch (Skywalker) lightsaber that has all these alterations done ... the tape on the clamp should be just 1,5cm plain mylar, no texture ... and well it's up to you which version of ESB you want to replicate ... take a look on : http://www.partsofsw.com/ under item Luke's ESB lightsaber ... all variations are mentioned . . . and use the 'search this thread' button to find other threads about Luke's ESB with more posts and pictures for your research ... I'm not aware there's an archive of bluray screencaps for this saber :)

Chaim

That site is great! saves me from getting the DVDs out haha. Thanks for the info sym-cha. Been reading up in advance and love the dedication from you and others to the graflex sabers and their parts.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back