SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

No, that's sorta what I was talking about, but I meant to do it in a different format. Any and all RPF members can send in footage to be in the 'RPF Show That Would Need A Cooler Name' and it's edited and put out in one X-minute 'episode' on a regular basis. Be it weekly, biweekly, monthly, whatever. Then it 'airs' on the RPF channel. Anyway it was just an idea based on so many people wanting to have something else out there, kinda taking what's been done in the past and putting a different spin on it?

Maybe we need to get people together to do an actual RPF show on youtube. Like a real show with actual 'hosts' from the forum who submit their portions to get edited into a 'reality show style how it should be done for this,' not just a collection of videos.
i tried to start something like that and everyone said: nah its impossible :D

Maybe you should do it anyway lol

Of course, we'd need someone actually in charge to even tell us if it's possible or not. :)

(Also, I wish they showed more of the type of people who cobble together costumes instead of make them from start to finish. The show makes it look like you MUST be a professional level seamstress to even attempt cosplay and some of my best costumes have come from putting together things or having a friend sew something for me to modify it. I can't sew, but it doesn't stop me from doing some awesome cosplay.)

I agree. I love cosplay and i'm jealous of the people who have the skill to make things from scrap.
I look at the things people create on this forum and on that show and think: "I wish i could do that"
This forum shows the step by step progress of how props and costumes are made. People giving tips to eachother.
e.g. I'm a hige "Arrow" fan. And there is a 21+ page topic about all the things that are featured in the show and where you can find the different pieces on internet or in stores.
The show is just: that person is going to make that costume. 10 minutes of bitching about lack of time and how it doesn't work. costume-event where they just show the costume followed by some random person wins the prize.
When i saw Jesse Lager in the Mandarin-costume I was jealous and wanted to have that costume. But.. how did he make it? They just somewhat showed us how he made the rings and even that was. show a few frames and it ends with him saying "i now can cast metal"
What fabrics did he use, what was the source, what did use to do this and that, ...
With just a few more info the show would be so much better and it would inspire more ppl to start doing props and costumes.

So finally watched the second episode of 1.5. I had forgotten the discussion about the award for embroidery and when it came up it surprised me for a second, until I remember it was talked about on here. It seemed added in. Not sure if they did actually add it in or just the editing made it seem that way but it felt kinda forced. (Not that I mean her embroidery wasn't phenomenal. It really really was.)

I had a migraine for a few days that I just kicked yesterday, so not sure if I am super attuned to it, but Yaya's voice was a little on the high pitched and annoying side to me. I'm sure she's probably a very nice person, but I found myself wanting to yell at the screen for her to just shut up already, that nobody cares if you omg have to wear glasses for a weekend.

Jesse was, as always, a joy to watch. I love how excited he gets about the smallest things. It's incredibly adorable to me.

Indra was also adorable. I have no idea why but I have mad love for that girl.

Almost enough Holly in this episode. Almost.

Maybe you should do it anyway lol

Of course, we'd need someone actually in charge to even tell us if it's possible or not. :)

I'm not in charge.

But I don't see why it's not possible. I'd be willing to volunteer some time to building titles and even some editing. I know there are quite a few people on here besides myself with computer skills as well.

Bigger problem would be that most people shooting the footage themselves would be pretty horrible. I actually don't watch a lot of home-made youtube videos for that reason. I get about 30 seconds into looking at someones belly button before I want to scream "TILT THE DAMN CAMERA UP!"

Yes, that's why we'd need someone who can sit through them and make sure the segments are of a good enough audio and visual and content quality. I have an episodic webseries (Star Trek Osiris) but my resources are pretty tapped out with that.

Maybe we need to get people together to do an actual RPF show on youtube. Like a real show with actual 'hosts' from the forum who submit their portions to get edited into a 'reality show style how it should be done for this,' not just a collection of videos.

I've been banging this drum for about a year now and I never hear a response from the RPF that this is or would be in the works. I think it would take someone with the time and editing software to make it happen, and RPFers who will take the time to video their prop or costume builds.

I've pretty much given up on it ever happening, which is sad because not only would it be a great tool for members but it would probably drive more traffic to our site.

Bigger problem would be that most people shooting the footage themselves would be pretty horrible. I actually don't watch a lot of home-made youtube videos for that reason. I get about 30 seconds into looking at someones belly button before I want to scream "TILT THE DAMN CAMERA UP!"

I've never shown my belly button in one of my weekly video blogs (see signature link), but mine are terrible for other reasons like being incredibly boring. I even have a whole episode about the RPF and the RPF has never watched it. Everyone's got their something.

Last edited:
I make videos of my build progress on youtube, but I they are hardly tutorials. Editing video takes a lot longer than you would think and when deadlines get closer I don't have time to document everything. I have to get the costume done.

Pulling this back on topic. If I had a camera crew documentation would move a lot smoother.

Yeah, the only way to do it would be for someone to re-edit the videos as they come in, which of course would be major time consuming. And then that would end up with people sending in completely raw video expecting it to be edited. So then you've got someone sending in 20+ hours of raw footage of a build, and maybe it ends up having only two minutes of actual decent footage. Then that person gets pissed that his build was so heavily edited and so on and so on.

I can't imagine anyone willing to take on the endeavor without being paid and legal contracts being drawn up for it. Otherwise it might just make a lot of people mad.

The way I've seen it in the past is that if it's not pre-edited to fit within the time allotment and the quality is not up to par, it's not even considered and thrown out. That's sort of what I was thinking, not 'Just send crap in!'

I'm thinking along the lines of things like Star Wars Uncut where they wouldn't even consider something if they glanced at it and it was way over the time limit or the production values sucked or something.

Just watched last weeks episode. Still too much drama, not enough craftsmanship. I can't seem to stop watching though. I think hope is a constant motivator. I'm like a wife going back to her abusive husband.

Showing the audience how they made the costumes on the show isn't the point, though. It's not a DIY or How-to/Tutorial show. It's reality tv. Crabcat do their own "sort-of-how-to" videos on the Nerdist Youtube channel, though. It's not so much step by step as just "here's some fun ideas! Use your own imagination"

Showing the audience how they made the costumes on the show isn't the point, though. It's not a DIY or How-to/Tutorial show. It's reality tv. Crabcat do their own "sort-of-how-to" videos on the Nerdist Youtube channel, though. It's not so much step by step as just "here's some fun ideas! Use your own imagination"

I think that is the issue that others are bringing up, including myself. They are marketing to a demographic that like to know HOW things are done. Cosplayers are more than people who are just captivated by TV drama and shiny things. We like to know why things are shiny and how they got that way!

I think that is the issue that others are bringing up, including myself. They are marketing to a demographic that like to know HOW things are done. Cosplayers are more than people who are just captivated by TV drama and shiny things. We like to know why things are shiny and how they got that way!

I know. I do agree and wish there was more about how they made their costumes, but alas. What we have is cheap reality tv produced by SyFy channel (which is their only claim to nerd legitimacy). In some ways, I think they aren't marketing to us at all. They're just targeting the reality tv audience as a whole and throwing this out there along with Honey BooBoo, bridal dresses, gypsies, Amish people, and families with too many kids.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back