Star Trek Continues

^ Agreed. Vic and company are knocking these out of the park. Every bit as good as the original series. I feel like I'm watching "Star Trek: The Lost Episodes".

For me, they're not so much lost as "what would've been". Vic, in many parts, looks like Shatner around the time he did TOS; when the light and shadows hit him at certain times, I swear they cloned the Shat and shoved him back on the Enterprise set.

It also doesn't hurt that he got his actual physique down, too. That perfect balance between lifting weights and eating ham sandwiches. That's dedication!

So far, my favorite episode has to be "Lolani." I like the others but the ones that don't retcon back to the originals I tend to lean towards more. It makes it feel connected to the originals but not in a way intentionally made to fit into TOS, if that makes sense. The recent "White Irises" is a good second.

Star Trek continues , continues to make Phase II look like armature night, the production values and CGI are exceptional.

5 solid episodes that show the labor of love in recreating the flavor and quality of the original show. Dare I say these new Star Trek Continues shows even exceed some of the old shows. The actors, Vic, Todd and the others have tuned their performances to deliver the best yet. The rest of the supporting cast, costumes, cinematography, lighting, special effects, etc. have all done their finest too. I hope they know we appreciate the countless hours of labor that it takes to make just one show.

Gene Roddenberry and the rest of the original Trek family we lost are quite probably smiling from heaven.

I haven't really been keeping up with these, but I have skimmed through them and I will have to admit, they capture the look, feel, and acting of the OS better than anything else I have ever seen.. Very good job!!

HOLY MUGATO!!!

Somehow I'm late to the party, as an acquaintance of mine turned me onto Star Trek Continues just last week. I finished the 5th episode yesterday, and am literally in awe of what Vic et al have not only re-created, but also created!!

I knew nothing going in, save it was a fan-production of TOS, and when I saw the sets, props, lighting, camera-work, color-grading, et cetera...and the acting, I was kinda stunned for the first couple minutes of the first episode, to be honest. I had no idea something so true to TOS existed. But, I kept my excitement in check, thinking, "Well, it looks amazing, and some of the actors have nailed the mannerisms and speech of the original actors they're paying homage to. But we'll see if the writing's any good. There's no way it'll come close to TOS in its writing.". So I continued watching "Pilgrim of Eternity", and realized I was wrong. The writing does stand up to TOS.

Over the next week, I watched the other 4 episodes, loving all of them. I daresay, I would rank each one better than the handful of my least favorite TOS episodes. I would much rather sit down and watch "Pilgrim of Eternity", "Lolani", or any of them, over "The Squire of Gothos", or "Miri", or "Wolf in the Fold", to name a few of the weakest TOS episodes. (IIRC, @redshirt also said he'd rank the STC eps over his least favorite TOS eps.)

STC is not perfect. I agree with @Michael Bergeron that the actor playing Spock would benefit from more gravitas. Nimoy's Spock always looked pensive, but there was a stern-ness to his pensiveness. He possessed an internalized intensity, that I'm not quite getting from the STC Spock. The new Bones is better than the first one, but he still could do more, IMO, to imbue his performance with some subtle but noticeable DeForrest Kelley mannerisms and expressions. I imagine both of these actors will improve over time. And even if they don't, they're both good enough, that they don't harm the show.

But now to STC's piece de resistance: Vic Mignogna's Kirk. The build, the posture, the gait, the hair, the mannerisms, the vocal inflections, delivery and pacing of his lines. He's darn near perfect. To be totally nitpicky, he could be a couple inches taller, less bowlegged, and have a deeper voice. But God, who the hell cares?! There are several moments in each episode in which I forget I'm not watching or listening to the real Shatner circa 1967. (@Bryancd, how you can say Vic is "terrible as Kirk" and "a horrible actor" is mind-boggling to me. Have you been beaten over the head by a Mugato?!)

After I finished the last episode, I searched on here for anything about STC and found this thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your comments and insights. I understand there is a new, 6th, episode in the works, so I'm stoked for that! I'd like to donate to it's production.

In the meantime, I'm going to re-watch the 5 episodes we're so fortunate to already have, beginning with "Pilgrim of Eternity" tonight! I absolutely love the creative follow-up to "Who Mourns for Adonis?", and having the original actor reprising his role as Apollo was fan-freaking-tastic!

The Wook

I just watched the first episode and I have to say that it's not bad. Vic does a real good job as Kirk, he really does have a lot the same body language and speech patterns as Shatner did, except maybe with a bit less staccato. The actor who plays Spock, is ok, he some across more Tuvok than Spock to me, I don't know if it's his inflections or his voice but it's not quite Spock to me, but he does do a lot better of a job as a Vulcan in general than many of the guest stars on TNG, & DS9. The guy who plays McCoy just doesn't do it for me, so far. Of all the cast I think that he's the least like the original actor in his performance, decent action but just not McCoy.

Thanks, Jim, really cool pics!

Space.com just did an interview with Vic, including some set-visit footage by yours truly. :)

http://www.space.com/32624-star-trek-continues-vic-mignogna-interview.html

Great video, Karl. One thing I don't like about STC is that when you pause an episode, it does not pause it on the frame you were looking at when you paused it. The video disappears altogether, and you only see the same thumbnail pic every time you pause it. So to watch your video, and see Jim's pix, was a nice treat. Well done!

I just watched the first episode and I have to say that it's not bad.

"Not bad."?? Wow, man...you are hard to please. lol

The Wook

I thought the first episode was good, but a little hokey for my liking. Lolani was the episode that really sold me on everything, and possibly still my favourite. Every episode since has been great too. There's certainly not a bad episode!

Phase pistol, thanks a million for posting those videos. The Space.com interview and video are excellent and I'm getting so geeked up again about seeing a new episode. I can hardly wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if you watch Star Trek Continues on Youtube, you can pause normally.

https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues

Youtube videos can be downloaded to your computer (I use 4KVideoDownloader on my Mac) for even more control.

Thanks, Karl, I just realized that I could do the same on Vimeo. lol That's how I'll be watching them from now on.

Appreciate the tip.

Before I sign off, does anyone know where I can get a link to the various episodes scripts? On occasion there are some bits of dialogue I'm not able to decipher.

Thanks!

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back