Diamond Select toy Star Trek III phaser coming

Those who have it--what do you think of the electronics? Are they good, or do they also need upgrading?

They're serviceable as far as a play feature but inaccurate to any version of the original. The square light (P1 trigger) should have a red/yellow pulsating effect instead of the static white light they went with. Replacing those two white LEDs with a yellow and a red (or green LEDs for the "Final Mission" version) would help some. The red rectangular LEDs should alternately flash (1+3 together, then 2+4 together) when the phaser is firing, but there's nothing that can be done there.

Still, the electronics are fun and better than nothing and it's not like the lights were ever visible in the movie for more than a few frames in the Uhura shot and a second or so when Kirk has one on Genesis.. I guess they figured nobody would notice?

I received mine today from kirinhobby. I do like the overall design but the light effects are kinda 'meh.'
It does need a new paint scheme. Any ideas what color the P2 should be? I'm gonna paint the P1 flat black
and somehow change the white power button LED to amber or something. Click photos below to enlarge.
(hosted from my deviantArt)

star_trek_iii_movie_phaser__1__by_diamond_select_by_gamera68-d91nzwm.jpg star_trek_iii_movie_phaser__2__by_diamond_select_by_gamera68-d91o17v.jpg

Last edited:
From the HMS assembly manual for the Roddenberry Trek 3 phaser kit:

Semi-Gloss (or Gloss) Black for p1

Zynolyte Dark Gray Primer for p2 pistol

fine mist of metallic silver on the Phaser 2 (substitute Plastikote 7173 or other metallic gray or silver for misting onto the gray/black)

Testors Model Master Bright Blue (stripes on side)

From the HMS assembly manual for the Roddenberry Trek 3 phaser kit:

Semi-Gloss (or Gloss) Black for p1

Zynolyte Dark Gray Primer for p2 pistol

fine mist of metallic silver on the Phaser 2 (substitute Plastikote 7173 or other metallic gray or silver for misting onto the gray/black)

Testors Model Master Bright Blue (stripes on side)

Much thanks for the assist :)

I went with a darker paint scheme - photos soon once the paint cures.

Flat black for the P1 and dark metallic copper for the P2 w/ dark metallic blue highlights.

It looks pretty cool IMHO. :)

Last edited:
Got mine. Yeah it's a toy but it's a good toy. The only disappointment to me is the four sounds are nearly identical and quiet. Beyond that I'm happy.

Here is my repaint of the Star Trek III: The Search for Movie Phaser. (DST)

The P1 was repainted flat black. (3 coats)
The main body (P2) was painted dark metallic copper. (3 coats)

The beam emitter, curved top plate, and trim was painted a custom, dark, metallic blue.
(Testor's gloss medium dark blue, flat black, and bright silver; about 3 drops of each color, mixed thoroughly and applied by hand w/ a small brush)

I need to repaint the pinstripes on each side though...
=p.gif

(hosted on my debiantart page)

star_trek_iii_movie_phaser_repaint_by_gamera68_by_gamera68-d924osf.jpg

Last edited:
Well I finally got my 4 from, bbts and guess what :confused ............................. 2 are bad, 1 has a bad p1 the other has a bad p2 .......50% failure rate :angry so of coarse I combined the good units into 1 working unit and the other I am sending back to bbts for an exchange or maybe a refund :ninja .

anyway got 3 good 1s to fiddle with :cheers

I had a problem with mine too. Intermittent firing, weird sounds etc. I replaced the batteries and it works great.

I've had mine for a week now, it works fine. I wonder why they couldn't re-use the four different sounds of their previous TMP and TWOK phasers.
Still, it's probably my favourite design, though, I must admit, I hate that handle.
So I've got my dremel out and did some adjustments on it, so that it could fit into another type.
There is still some sanding and other work to do, but overall, I'm quite happy so far. Apologies for the bad quality pic.

Foto0429.jpg

Mine seems to be stuck in "Try Me" mode for good. I tried wiggling the plastic tab around to see if I could fix it, but it's still firing one sound both on and off. Grr!

Here's the unaltered toy next to my 1980's Coyle soundless antique.

20150731_233608.jpg20150731_233536.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More.

20150731_233625.jpg20150731_233639.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P1 Comparison.

20150731_233719.jpg

FYI - I mean antique in a very good way. I love antiques.

has anyone noticed how the Phaser 1 for this DST Toy Prop, isn't black.. just darker shade of grey ? that's awful...
has anyone painted their P1 to black ?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back