My Star Lord Outfit Build

So did you make them from scratch or did you overlay ontop of existing Sketchers? Did you transfer the sole to another scratch build? Inquiring minds want to know!

Kevin, I need to transfer my foam patterns to paper and scan them at work.
@Capn_jack, I started with a sketcher shoe with the same sole pattern, but I tore it apart and rebuilt it using it as the under base then re skinned it with leather. So basically it was a ground up build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, your boots look awesome. I do have several questions about the build.
What weight leather did you use for the different parts?
Did you hand sew all the parts together or use a machine?
Can you share what the hardware is for the buckles on the back?

I saw you explained how you made the ovals, but any insight you can give to the overall construction will help immensely.

again, amazing boots.

Wes

Thanks guys :) @Jango Wes, the weight leather varied, i used 3/4oz black and 6/7oz for the browns. On the Spats i hand sew those parts with a sewing awe and stitch pattern punch. For all the black leather i use a sewing machine with a tiflon foot.
I used the TandyLeather Strap Keeper Loop 3/4" and Sam Browne Button & Washer Studs from TandyLeather

Ok so over the last couple weeks i went a re-built my belt. I did more research and screen captures and was able to get the back of the belt and shape. Below is my simi finished belt. I have to do couple detail lines curves on the belt per the photo i attached. As you can see there was a black triangular shape elastic peace. Also on the sides the peace that comes off the d-ring dies into the back curve.

20150410_122656.jpg20150410_122711.jpg20150410_122728.jpg20150410_122819-1.jpg

Here are the screen captures i used to help me redo my belt. I hope they help others as well.
Also on the first screen cap photo, you can see the detail on the Bag strap, on that wide strip at the buckle does not have threads. That is a V-groove, and i have the tool that does that. You can also see in the bottom right side the detail depressed curved lines i have to add.

shot0024.jpgshot0026.jpgshot0028.jpgshot0031.jpg

ok so here is my fabrics im using for the shirt. I know its not Exactly perfect but it will have todo. Dyeing Polyester is not easy, and would have to use a industrial type dye thats made for that. Give that i found that my workout shirt as the pattern and is more of a medium grey. For some reasons i have excess light thats making everthing lighter, i even have all my light turned off. Im thinking its something with my photo camera. Anyways this photo will give you some what of an idea.
20150412_151851.jpg

So with the elastic I think you are heading in the direction of thinking that SL screen used belt is a slip on rather than one with holes and a working buckle. Good cal!!! Makes it more of a custom fit though.

Hi everyone, Haven't post anything for awhile on my thread so thought id share some new pictures and what i been doing.
I did finish my shirt, i went with the long sleeve with the vent patches on the front. I ended up just finding the fabric in the color i was going with. Its a grey with a hint of blue in it that is stretchable like a polo shirt. I then went to my new local Hobby Lobby store and got a cheap long sleeve shirt in my size and removed the stetching and used it as a templet. The color for the collar is close but not exactly like the fabric i used. I had a workout shirt that had vent mesh that was in the color and pattern i wanted to use that best matched the screen. I also did some weathering effects on the jacket i recieved from danny. I Used a mix of black and red leather acrylic paint todo the effects and bleach on the back and bottom sides of the fabric. Next up is start on the bag and the pants. I have most all the materials for both i just need to work on the patterns and start cutting it out and sewing together. I still need to do the boot rockets and redo the valve on the jacket. But i may wait to see how Indys jacket looks as i will need to make one for that. Oh and also note i only weathered the leather part and still have to do the fabric areas

20150807_161801.jpg20150807_161829.jpg20150807_161841.jpg20150807_161905.jpg20150807_161936.jpg20150807_161947.jpg20150807_164003-1.jpg

Last edited:
"I Used a mix of black and red leather acrylic paint todo the effects and bleach on the back and bottom sides of the fabric." <--- do you have a picture of the product you used? Also, I discovered something pretty awesome about Valspar acrylic paint from Lowe's...it sticks VERY well to leather. Who knew?!

Hi everyone, Haven't post anything for awhile on my thread so thought id share some new pictures and what i been doing.
I did finish my shirt, i went with the long sleeve with the vent patches on the front. I ended up just finding the fabric in the color i was going with. Its a grey with a hint of blue in it that is stretchable like a polo shirt. I then went to my new local Hobby Lobby store and got a cheap long sleeve shirt in my size and removed the stetching and used it as a templet. The color for the collar is close but not exactly like the fabric i used. I had a workout shirt that had vent mesh that was in the color and pattern i wanted to use that best matched the screen. I also did some weathering effects on the jacket i recieved from danny. I Used a mix of black and red leather acrylic paint todo the effects and bleach on the back and bottom sides of the fabric. Next up is start on the bag and the pants. I have most all the materials for both i just need to work on the patterns and start cutting it out and sewing together. I still need to do the boot rockets and redo the valve on the jacket. But i may wait to see how Indys jacket looks as i will need to make one for that. Oh and also note i only weathered the leather part and still have to do the fabric areas

View attachment 512062View attachment 512063View attachment 512064View attachment 512065View attachment 512066View attachment 512067View attachment 512068

Thanks guys, my boots are my pride and joy :)
Soulinertia, thanks, i wasnt sure if it was going to come out right but im very happy with the way it came out. I went with a zigzag stetch on the sleeve ends and bottom of the shirt to match the style on the jackets. I know the bottom of the shirt in the movie was straight stetch but i wanted it a little different style then plain.
Staar Lord Maan, I used Leather Studio paints on the jacket. I got them at Joanns Fabrics locally.
20150809_174716.jpg

Im currently working on the 3D model for the rocket boots, as i want to start printing the parts next weekend. I also got my pattern drawn up and going to print that this week and next weekend while my rocket boots are printing is to sew up a mock bag, so to make sure that the pattern and parts go together before i start cutting my good fabric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so this weekend i worked on the pattern for the bag, getting it printed and cut out for all the parts. I test fitted the big part of my pattern. I also reworked the boot rocket STL file i got on here added some enhansments to the file and im currently 3D printing.
20150816_141633.jpg20150816_141648.jpg20150816_141701.jpg

My weekly update.

I worked on touch up on my 3d model of the boot rocket and been printing the parts out. Here is couple photos of my printed parts and the ones that are left to finish. They do need some clean up work, and then i will use the XTC-3D to smooth the surface of the parts. As you can see in my center part i have a big hole at the bottom. That detail feature will be turned into a button that will act like a locking mechanized latch. I didnt get to cut my mock up fabric this weekend had alot going on, plus at our office. Everyone is a little stressed about whats happening.

20150823_193424.jpg20150823_161733.jpg20150823_193932.jpg

Ok so this is what i have been working on the last couple weeks. I have the Latching mechanism for the Rockets to boot mount finished and working. I also got to coat couple of the parts with the XTC-3D from Smooth-On and is currently drying. I will start cutting the mock up fabric tonight. Oh i also revised my rocket exhaust nozzle as my other ones looks a bit small

20150906_162324.jpg20150906_162337.jpg20150907_161116.jpg20150906_162313.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back