Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Soul good eye man... i swear i thought the edge hustler shirt was a straight up replica. Shoot probably should of grabbed one back then, now i would have two haha. Well anyhow i love mine. Glad you have the same man.

Those that have been to the exhibit with the jackets:

Are the popular known jacket (don't really know what to call it) and the Mayhem jacket the same color?

Also, I just received 2 pair of the 1998 OP 523 from someone who works in the Corp office of OP, and 1 of them have a very small amount of pitting. Pitting in the metal from aging (I assume). Do any of y'all have any that shows pitting? It not much and you really can't tell, I'm just curious. I have 5 pair of the 1998 and this is the only pair that has it. I just want to make sure that the other pairs aren't in danger of pitting.

Also, please let me know about the color of both jackets from my post right before this one.

Thanks

How the hell are you all still getting 1998 523's? Did you pay original retail for them? No they're not the same color and I don't think they're the same leather either.

Last edited:
Those that have been to the exhibit with the jackets:

Are the popular known jacket (don't really know what to call it) and the Mayhem jacket the same color?

No they are different, the Mayhem jacket is a brighter red and wasn't painted.

How the hell are you all still getting 1998 523's? Did you pay original retail for them? No they're not the same color and I don't think they're the same leather either.

I doubt he did if so, Oliver Peoples was selling the original 1998's. They were charging over 1,000 a pair. I think gold frames were 900.

By corporate office I assume he means the one on Sunset Blvd too which is where they were sold.

Last edited:
Never understood paying over 1000 dollars for 523's. Got my 2009's for 300 and wear them all the time. I doubt the people paying those high prices even wear the things! :facepalm

No. She's not at the Sunset set store, that's Kandi and Rudy. She's with corp. She said they have 3 Corp division US, Europe, Asia. I meet her 2 years ago while searching for a pair of Pakalas. If I remember correctly I called the number on Oliver Peoples website and got transfered all over the place and eventually someone said, "let me ask the head of our ... dept" and she got on the phone. I know she is real close with Larry ( the former owner, he's like the Creative Director now) and his office is very close to his; she always says "I'll ask Larry, he'll know" and 'well, his office door's closed I'll have to get back to you". Don't know where the Corp office is. From past Convos with her she implies that the Sunset store is 'over to them' and 'around the corner'.
She helps me out from time to time on older glasses. She sent me 1 pair of the '98s 523s about a year and a half ago. She called me Monday and said that she came across 5 more pair of the silver and figured I'd want 1.
She's actually really cool and knows a lot. She laughed when I told her about the Sunset store saying that the 523s they were selling a year ago where the owners personal collection (or whatever). She said that actually 2 stores keep inquiring about if they would ever bring them back out. And they still had some in some (had some name, I forget) inventory because they didnt sell well at all. So they sent them to those stores (Malibu and Sunset). She's said that none of them had lens in them (as they didn't in '98). She said that the Kincaid red isn't exactly the original color in the movie. She said when she asked Larry about it he said, "hell, it was just a very bright red, that's what they wanted, we didn't really have a name for them, just bright red". Now in all fairness the Kincaid is bright red. She's even got me in touch with the person in the lab that tinted the originals for the movie. He's actually told me a lot about about all 3 pairs in the movie, but it doesn't really mean anything. And who the heck knows if he's or Larry's memory is correct. Just like Jonathan's on those jackets. Thing get forgotten. I spend a ton a money on game used football jerseys and helmets and I've talken to equipment managers and manufacturers about things from the 70s 80s 90s that honestly believe things were worn and done a certain way and when I point out things there like 'man I guess I was wrong and don't really remember'. But the thing is they really really thought they remembered correctly but they didn't.
I believe the samething is happening with these glasses and Jonathan's jackets.

Anyways, that's all really irrelevant. I don't know why the heck I just typed it all and/or if it makes any since.

I will tell you this, yall have helped me out a lot wit my game used football items. The way y'all look at things in detail an pick it apart to show exactly what it is because of every little detail. I just purchased a Dickinson Butkus game used jersey for $12k, when usually they go between $30 - $50k, because everyone was thinking it was fake. I used all of Y'all techniques (the ones yall use in braking down the FC wardrobe) and actually photomatched it. I sold it 2 weeks ago for $42k.

Some of y'all should really think about going into the authentication business. You'd make a lot of money. I'm really serious.

Again, I don't know why I typed all that. Non of it matters.

I just need to know if anyone else seen pitting in their 1998 523s? Like I said, 1 pair has a tad of it and I just don't want my other ones to eventually do it. I know metal pitts, but not sure if it does because of time or what.

Thanks for all your help. If this post shows up twice or in halves I'm sorry, the site keeps freezing.

Last edited:
No. She's not at the Sunset set store, that's Kandi and Rudy. She's with corp. I meet her 2 years ago while searching for a pair of Pakalas. If I remember correctly I called the number on Oliver Peoples website and got transfered all over the place and eventually someone said, "let me ask the head of our ... dept" and she got on the phone. I know she is real close with Larry ( the former owner, he's like the Creative Director now); she always says "I'll ask Larry, he'll know". Don't know where the Corp office is. From past Convos with her she implies that the Sunset store is 'over to them' and 'around the corner'.
She helps me out from time to time on older glasses. She sent me 1 pair of the '98s 523s about a year and a half ago. She called me Monday and said that she came across 5 more pair of the silver and figured I'd want 1.
Anyways, that's all really irrelevant.

I just need to know if anyone else seen pitting in their 1998 523s? Like I said, 1 pair has a tad of it and I just don't want my other ones to eventually do it. I know metal Pitts, but not sure if it does because of time or what.

I own about 10 pairs of 1998 523's, none have any pitting.

What price did she quote you at? The headquarters is on the same street as the sunset store it is 1 building over.

So wheres the absolute cheaper way to get op-523's, regardless of old vintage or new titanium edition. I only want to pay like $300.

You won't get a pair of 523's for 300, its that simple. Thats like trying to buy a lambo for 50,000. -- 400 could be realistic but you would have to find someone hard up on cash and wanting to sell fast.

So your options are to come up with more money, wait for an Oliver Peoples re-release (if it ever happens), or get very lucky and find a seller. However, I can assure you that a decent condition 523 would sell on ebay in probably less than 24 hours at a price tag of 300.

If you really want one, I would suggest putting aside like 5-10 dollars a week for them. In 10-20 weeks (5 or 10) you would have the extra 100, if you waited another 20-40 weeks that would be another 100 bringing you up to 500 and I know you could buy one for that price.

I own about 10 pairs of 1998 523's, none have any pitting.

What price did she quote you at? The headquarters is on the same street as the sunset store it is 1 building over.

thats absurd AJ. 10 pairs? That's why I say fight club is dead and the over commercializing of it is the cause. One of these guys in here who aren't willing to pay $900 for sunglasses could've had one of those. But you have ten and list them on eBay for $1200. Absurd. I'm not fight capitalism or anything. I'm all for people making money and selling goods in demand. But Fight Club was and will always be sacred to me. When I see this shhhhh. It makes me fight like project mayhem. But do what you like man.

Thanks AJ, that's good to know. I was hoping that it was just the particular pair and that all my other ones werent in jeopardy of pitting. It isnt bad at all, most people wouldn't even notice. It's only 2 pin point pitts.

Also, just to let y'all know. I sent a pair of OP glasses that were scratched up to an Alloy guy and he refinished them with the brushed silver finish and they're perfect. They're actually identical to the brushed look of the 98's. He said he could give it more of a brush if need be, but he hit it dead on. They look brand new after they were scratched and even chiped. It didn't even mess up the stamping on the inside arm.

So if anybody has a scratched up pair he really can make them look brand new, it's amazon. Also, he is a super nice and honest guy. The only down side is he's real busy and it took 2 weeks to get them back. If y'all could use him let me know.

You won't get a pair of 523's for 300, its that simple.
I got mine for 300, it was a couple years ago. I've seen em pop up for 400-500 a lot lately. Past 6 months or so. It's definitely possible, but people are jacking up the prices of them so good deals are hard to find now.

- - - Updated - - -

But you have ten and list them on eBay for $1200. Absurd.
Is this AJ guy the one selling 523's for 1300 on ebay?

Jack, the thing is that there have been three releases of the 523 and they're all rare. What we're talking about are the original 98 523 which are extremely rare and special because they're the actual frames worn in the film. Different from the 2000 and 2009. I understand them being special and expensive but common? $1300? That's ridiculous lol

I know you guys are talking about the 1998's but you can find a pair of those on the bay right now for 700-800. The other 523's look like they go for 375-450 unless you buy from that guy that has ridiculous prices. (Still don't know if that's the guy on this board?). In older posts AJ said he would just send his in to get the SA lenses so you could just buy the orange lensed ones and send them in I think. Personally I don't get why people pay the high prices. The 2000, and 2009's are almost exactly the same! 750 for real vintage glasses aint that bad, but 1300? Yeah **** that! The price gouging on the fight club merchandise is crazy though. It's already a contradiction to buy ANYTHING related to fight club, let alone ridiculously expensive stuff. Seems like some of the people on this board are acting more like Jordan Belfort than Tyler Durden. We all just need to remember one simple thing: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
The supposed original release 98 op523 are not rare anymore. It's all a matter of perception. Look what happened to the Sunset market once it was revealed that replicas were being manufactured hand over fist. You can't give a pair of sunsets away now. What used to go for $1000+ won't even sell for $250 now. The same thing will happen to the op523 market soon. My advice, just wait it out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back