The Martian Space Suit

Got a small embroidered NASA patch for the back. I'm not sure the actual one is embroidered. Might be a vinyl or rubber. I think it's slightly smaller too, but this will have to do for now:

20150706_220633.jpg

Got these just for fun. (I don't think they are featured in the actual movie):

20150707_225449.jpg

20150707_225443.jpg

Should hold me over until my actual name badge comes in.

I'm sure you guys already saw, but my name badge did come in, yay!

20150710_232644.jpg

I also found some gray webbing that fits. It might be a little dark.

20150710_014545.jpg

Where did you find a manufacturer of Air Force astronaut wings? Williams & Williams has a nice Air Force Command astronaut wing, but I haven't found a flat-out pilot wing. Maybe I haven't dug deep enough.

Yeah, so the fabrics are not neoprene, The orange is more of a faux suede-like material. I wanted to try to match the nap that was visible in the highest res photo I could find. The good thing is it offers a very high quality detailed print. The bad thing is that it has very little stretch and doesn't breath very well. To off-set this I'm going with a piqué for the white fabric. This material is most commonly used in active wear and offers high stretch, breathability and moisture wicking. I tried to replicate the texture by incorporating shadows and highlights. Currently I'm working on the design for the crotchal region of the suit. I'll start a separate interest thread for the fabrics soon.

Yes. Please keep us updated about a fabric run!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find a manufacturer of Air Force astronaut wings? Williams & Williams has a nice Air Force Command astronaut wing, but I haven't found a flat-out pilot wing. Maybe I haven't dug deep enough.

I have a project run going for these actually in the classifieds section if your interested.

Just want to say, i never thought I'd see the day there was a huge thread on the RPF dedicated to figuring out a costume I had a hand in making.. Considering this site got me started on prop making years and years ago, hobby turned career, its a dream come true!

Just want to say, i never thought I'd see the day there was a huge thread on the RPF dedicated to figuring out a costume I had a hand in making.. Considering this site got me started on prop making years and years ago, hobby turned career, its a dream come true!

Huge thread indeed! I'm seriously impressed that so much progress has been made just only after the trailer. It goes to show you how powerful and varied the available design and fabrication tools are these days. And the passion of our fellow RPFers is amazing as well! Great work here guys. Any progress on the (almost silly tall) helmet?

Really looking forward to seeing this movie. The book was awesome.
I was hoping the spacesuit would look good, but this is just so nice,. It really looks great and practical while looking very nasa and near future like.

Is it a specific flightsuit they use on the Ares? Aha, bend215 says custom. Hmm,. has anyone found a great nearlookalike?

Has anyone started building the hardparts? Looks like foam could be good. I've got to start trying to make something out of foam. Maybe pepakura and resin.

Oh no,. allready rambling. Im going to reread this thread and make notes. Cheers everybody, good luck on your builds!

I'm offering the wings patches in my run thread Mystic5523

Look what else came in today . . .

20150724_162644.jpg

The orange anodizing is legit!

tinycobra.jpg

Attachments

• 20150724_162644.jpg
    20150724_162644.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150724_162644.jpg
    20150724_162644.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150724_162644.jpg
    20150724_162644.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150724_162644.jpg
    20150724_162644.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150724_162644.jpg
    20150724_162644.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 81
  • tinycobra.jpg
    tinycobra.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 84
  • tinycobra.jpg
    tinycobra.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 85
  • tinycobra.jpg
    tinycobra.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 94
  • tinycobra.jpg
    tinycobra.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 90
  • tinycobra.jpg
    tinycobra.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 95
Started making a 3d sketch of the helmet,. There are so many strange things I didn't see before I started.
helmet-study.jpg
I ordered some orange polkadott material from ebay, to start templating with. And I also printed out the line pattern on some cotton. Didn't know that was possible,. now I just have to read the next bit of the tutorial. I'll show some photos later..

Also,. the cooling suits they are wearing,. are they 2coolshirts? Pictures I've seen seem to be close..

2015-07-26 14.57.58.jpg
Here is the pattern I tested,. It hasn't dried compeletly yet,. I need to figure out if the printer has an ink og a dye and figure out how to fix it to the fabric. Should have checket it before I printet,. but I didn't think it would work... At all.. Still hoping

The combat belt seem to go all the way around into the suit. I might have to fabricate that from scratch,. Has anyone found a good thing to buy?

I found this on Ikea website to use as the inner helmet,. it's a lamp called FADO,. (so the orange one in the back,. maybe it could work)
fado-bordlampe-oransje__0340399_PH120258_S4.JPG

I think I just commited to this,. got the climber belt on ebay, some fabric, some test patches, and just ordered the cooling suit on amazon. I think it is the same,. nevertheless I need a coolsuit for my other costumes,. Oh man,.

The fabric samples look great Soulinertia

Can't wait to see where people take this. How close to the movie suit..

I have some ideas on the shoes and the armour plates,. but I've rambled enough for now..

Oh wow, i never got a notification and i honestly dont come on the rpf too often, thought my thread just got buried lol glad to see it caught on so much :D

i read through all 7 pages, you guys did an amazing amount of work, i cant even comprehend how you find this kind of stuff, truly remarkable!

if i ever have that kind of disposable income i would love to build this suit :D

$_57.JPG
On the back shot it seems to me that the combat-belt goes all the way around. I can´t find the exact belt after almost an entire day searching for "tactical belt", "combat belt", "molle" on ebay, amazon and hong kong stores.

the Tactical MOLLE GEN 2 Battle Belt TAN (CONDOR 241) looks to be the closest (and then tanning the innards to olive drab.
Ordered one on ebay, it´s close,. but not quite. Think I got the wrong size but maybe I can cut it apart and combine it with some olive fabric I have,. Ow, think I got the wrong size.,,. or not.. hahaha.

View attachment 506840
On the back shot it seems to me that the combat-belt goes all the way around. I can´t find the exact belt after almost an entire day searching for "tactical belt", "combat belt", "molle" on ebay, amazon and hong kong stores.

the Tactical MOLLE GEN 2 Battle Belt TAN (CONDOR 241) looks to be the closest (and then tanning the innards to olive drab.
Ordered one on ebay, it´s close,. but not quite. Think I got the wrong size but maybe I can cut it apart and combine it with some olive fabric I have,. Ow, think I got the wrong size.,,. or not.. hahaha.

It doesn't go all the way around, it's only on the sides of the harness. Also, it looks to be a dark gray color instead of a tan or green. Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 4.45.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-09 at 7.16.19 PM.png

Last edited:
The webbing doesn't go all the way around, but the belt itself does. The main structure of the belt resides behind the harness against the body. I've decided to build one from scratch. I think it will be easier than trying to modify an existing one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back